Kay Wilson (wilgk)
    Mike (Clactonian)
    Colin Southern
    Peter Ryan
    Donald Mackenzie
    Jeroen Kippenberg
    Raylee O'Neill
    Pops Carter

I'm very grateful for the effort Katy made in doing this. As you will see, she clearly doesn't have a lot of free time. She joined us in September 2010, and has already proved to be a valuable contributor here on CiC. Her charm, grace, wit, and general intelligence act as a (... is that enough Katy for my fifty quid?)

Enough of me, I'm boring....
    Last edited by carregwen; 6th December 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Re: In conversation with...... Katy Noelle

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)
    In conversation with...... Katy Noelle

In conversation with... Katy Noelle

Name: Katy Noelle
    http://katysphotojournal.blogspot.com/

Rob: Very good of you to take the time to talk to us, Katy.

Katy: No problem, Rob! As Kay brought to light, it does feel a bit like putting one's dainty neck in the guillotine but, being a lyric/coloratura soprano, I'm used to flinging myself into the spotlight - even when it feels like the outcome may be dubious. No matter what happens, I'm sure that cake will, definitely, make everything better.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history - anything interesting?

I grew up in Pasadena, California and received a bachelor of music degree with an emphasis in vocal performance. After school, I worked, for a year, in a very British tea room called, "Rose Tree Cottage." I enjoyed the hospitality business so well that I moved to a large Victorian House in Vermont to open a tea room, gift shop and bed and breakfast. Whilst there, I perfected my baking of the best scone in the world. It's just a fact.

And what about your family life?

After I moved to Vermont, I married my neighbour (Tom), who is pastor of one of the local churches. We now, have three sons: Lliam (13), David (10) and Toby (almost 9). We recently moved out of the parsonage that was in the middle of town, and up into the hills to a beautiful home, nestled in a high valley, across from a beautiful pond. While I've been nurturing my love of photography, Tom has been discovering his inner farmer and we live with 26 hens, 2 roosters, 3 golden retrievers and 2 bunnies (although, the dogs and the rabbits are my fault!) We're hoping to get a small flock of sheep, next year, and some goldfish. Life is pretty full and pretty good.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what would you be having as a favourite meal?

Since we're, now, getting about two-dozen eggs a day from our hens, my husband might suggest an omelette. Personally, I'd rather go out to eat, say, to L.A. Burdick's, and have their warm Goat Cheese Salad with endive, watercress, walnuts and a honey drizzle. Then, I'd love to share their artisanal cheese board with my husband and a lovely glass of wine, finishing with some coffee and macarons. (Although, I have to say, it's hard to resist the cake - the chocolate is divine!)

I haven't had a chance to read a book for ages but, every Christmas, I read one of the Chronicles of Narnia books to the boys. We should start "The Magician's Nephew" any day, now. I just purchased the last two Harry Potter movies and we need to get a move on, before we can see the one that's just out in theatres. Alas, we always seem to be pretty exhausted at the end of the day! I would love to start the Master and Commander Series again but I get pretty immersed and there are 20 volumes and, anyway, you'd never see me again if I did.

Editor's pick...

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

Did I live before photography? Maybe, it's more like, I had a life before I got my camera. Well, when I finally put my camera down, I love making life homey - gardening, interior decorating, cooking. I've played the piano since I was five and love choirs and singing wherever/whenever I can. I, also, sometimes play the celtic harp. I wonder if Blogging is a hobby or a career. Anyway, Tom says that I like to paint walls as a hobby but that's really more of a necessity from living in a slight fixer-upper. We also love to sail our little 25 foot Macregor boat.

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

I started taking photos with my point and shoot, last January, when I started my blog, "In the Sunny Spot." I got my DSLR, this past June, for my birthday. That is when I really first started to learn anything about photography. I've always loved "looking at the pictures", whether if in a magazine or a coffee table book or an art gallery - I study and stare. However, I never thought that I was particularly a visual person because I can't draw or paint, etc. Well, to make a long story short, a couple of years ago, I had an epiphany about all that and my secret desire to be a photographer can't be suppressed any more.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

Still life, landscape, nature, candid portraits and macro and, well, we'll see where it all goes...

Any particular photographic influences?

There was a magazine that was in publication from the late eighties through the early part of the two thousands - Victoria Magazine. The very name of it leads some people to think of pink velvet and ghastly ruffles (no offence if those are your favourite things in the world). The truth is that it was a tremendously elegant and tasteful magazine and the outstanding photography in it played an important role. One photographer in particular - Toshi Otsuki - really inspired me to capture the moment, the mood and the light. I aspire!

I could name other photographers but it's really more, certain works of theirs that I admire. Truth be told, I have about every Laura Ashley book that was ever published and I've loved them to death. From those, James Merrell's work particularly springs to mind - he can capture shadow and the light coming through windows and the peacefulness of home. He, somehow, communicates all five senses visually. Also, David Brittain's use of light, texture and color. Oh, and Mary Carroll - she is constantly making me want to grab my camera and keep trying!

I should, also, mention that the illustrations in children's books influence me. I'd like to explore some of the thoughts and feelings that I get from those. I think that the best children's book illustrators have a good feel for the sensory world, mood and pure emotion that is just intuited by the young but is often lost as we get older.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

Well, I'd love it if people would gasp at my work and, then, be moved to tears. Just sayin'.....

What do you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I quite honestly need to say that I really appreciate all of the time and diplomacy and patience and thoughtfulness and character and humor that the moderators and other members who really show leadership - just by their involvement - bring to this site.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Generally, I sleep like a sweet baby but, sometimes, my husband's snoring......

I have to ask thisÖ. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

Canon 450D with the 18-55 mm kit lens. I use....... I'm embarrassed to say it..... iphoto for post processing. I'm learning, though.

It's a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

Well, I'm not an itty-bitty baby beginner any more. I don't know..... how much is there to learn? Actually, I feel a bit like an adolescent photographer - awkward and gawky as I try to apply and practice what I'm learning. I've had this sense that my photos don't quite "match". I've started to think that it's because my style hasn't really started to emerge, yet.

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

I wish that they would invent more focus points. Oh, wait.... I guess that my futuristic sights are more vintage. The Canon 40D seems like the shiny new cat's meow, to me.

Editor's pick...

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

Absolutely! I can always encourage another photographer. Also, there are others who are just starting out or are at a similar place as I am and I can really relate to what they're learning or feeling. You know, we can kind of "walk together", as it were. I think, though, that the best encouragement comes from a desire to humbly and tangibly build someone else up. Ahem, but now that I've said that, I have to live up to it!

Another tough one for you - do you consider photography to be art?

Obviously, it can be a commercial art. I think that "we" decided in that monster thread, "What makes a good photograph", that it depended on the photos purpose. However, I would say that, since the photographer picks his subject and, then, puts his interpretation on it, requiring skill and artistic sensibilities - yes, of course it's an art. Are people still doubting it? Anyway, I have a humungous book from the library called, "Photography As Fine Art." In it, Douglas Davis (whoever he is) argues the point, pretty eloquently, that it is. whatever. I'm sure that another hundred years or so will sort it all out.

Anyway, isn't the camera an instrument to be practised and learnt?

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

Well, let's put it this way. My husband and I call the photo above "my avatar". It is me - five years ago, with my flyaway curls smoothed down, sans "too-much-ice cream-this-summer" cheeks. No waaaaay am I letting anyone take my photo again - this last one was too painful! That's how I feel at the moment, anyway.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Just keep taking photos. The questions will come up and, then, be answered. Don't run away when it gets overwhelming. Just take it step by step and settle in for the ride. Except, well, maybe, I shouldn't tell a newbie about the overwhelming part.... Nah, never mind - they wouldn't believe it anyway.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

Not only do I love the image, but, this was the first photo that I took in creative mode. It was the very moment that I knowingly used a wide aperture and manually focused - the lights went on and I was amazed. The whole world opened up.

This was the first image that I conceived and, then, pursued. I bought the flowers, put it in the vase and worked to get the effect and feeling with the light that I wanted. I had to go back three separate times until I got it right. Oh, and it was my first Black and White photo - very cool!

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably donít know?

For those of you who like Ansel Adams.... when I was in High School, I climbed half-dome in Yosemite, with my church youth group. Afterwards, they gave me the "happy trails" award because I sang the whole way up and the whole way down.

I regret that's all we have time for, Katy, but I want to thank you for taking the time to talk to us. It has been a real pleasure, and I'm sure others will enjoy it.

(Honest reaction to question ROB! You wrote that BEFORE you read the interview!!! Yikes!

Well, I'm glad to be alive and to share a little bit of it with you all.

Do I get chocolate cake, now?

You can have whatever you want, Katy. Isn't that the joy of life? In which case I'll take a batch of your scones!

Real Name
    Raylee

Hello Katy!

It's so nice to find out more about you. We seem to be at similar stages in our photographic development (so to speak). I think we can learn a lot from each other. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work and your beautiful scenic home. Keep up the good work.

Real Name
    Chris

I grew up in Glendora, CA just around the corner from you...good photographic eye, you have...you do, you do.

Real Name
    Peter

Well done Katy and great to learn more about you. I did spend time looking at your Sunny Spot and you have developed a style and mood that is all yours. I have watched your photography from your first post and it has improved greatly mainly due to you ability to keep asking questions and trying new things.

There are a couple of others in my short time here that have also embraced the art of photography and grown and it is why I enjoy being here to watch people learn and grow and in doing so I also learn and grow.

Real Name
    Terry

Excellent interview Katy!

As much as I have enjoyed viewing your photographic work, I have enjoyed this interview.

You bring a very cool element to this forum.

I just wish I could hear you belt out some vocals as well!

Well done, Katy.

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    I'm very grateful for the effort Katy made in doing this. As you will see, she clearly doesn't have a lot of free time. She joined us in September 2010, and has already proved to be a valuable contributor here on CiC. Her charm, grace, wit, and general intelligence act as a (... is that enough Katy for my fifty quid?)

Enough of me, I'm boring....
    Check and scones are in the mail!

Thanks, Guys! I just breezed in from a long afternoon of Christmas shopping and your comments are a very soothing and refocusing (haha!) thing to come back to. Really, my eyes were seriously glazed over.....

It's so nice to find out more about you. We seem to be at similar stages in our photographic development (so to speak). I think we can learn a lot from each other. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work and your beautiful scenic home. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks, Raylee! "similar stages"? I think you're way in front of me, and, yet, I do know what you mean. It is just kind of a dream to have found a place where others enthusiastically talk about photography.... ALL DAY LONG! (my friends and family are grateful that I found you, too. ) Especially, I appreciate having the chance to watch you working on your genres because they're the ones that I'm really excited about too! Simply, I'm so glad that you're here!!!

I grew up in Glendora, CA just around the corner from you...good photographic eye, you have...you do, you do.
    Thanks, Chris! We could have passed each other on the street and NEVER knew! Those were sunny days! Thanks for the encouragement! (btw, my best friend lives in Glendora. )

Well done Katy and great to learn more about you. I did spend time looking at your Sunny Spot and you have developed a style and mood that is all yours. I have watched your photography from your first post and it has improved greatly mainly due to you ability to keep asking questions and trying new things.

There are a couple of others in my short time here that have also embraced the art of photography and grown and it is why I enjoy being here to watch people learn and grow and in doing so I also learn and grow.
    Thanks, Peter! Here's something I wrote somewhere else:

"This is what I tell myself. Be strong and courageous! Just keep going and taking photos. Keep trying to step outside the box. Don't be afraid when it seems overwhelming, just take the step you see in front of you and things will become clearer in time. Whatever happens, don't fret it. Just enjoy the ride!"

Thank you so much for all of your input and instruction!!! We all benefit from your help and, in fact, I'm still revisiting those first threads that I posted and asked questions with. Every time I go back, I see it in a much better light and with more understanding. It's great!

I LOVE Blogging and I've been too busy, lately, for it. There, it's a completely free place to express and to make it my own, to WRITE (love that) and enjoy the luxury of the photo essay. Yup, love it!

Excellent interview Katy!

As much as I have enjoyed viewing your photographic work, I have enjoyed this interview.

You bring a very cool element to this forum.

I just wish I could hear you belt out some vocals as well!

Well done, Katy.
    WOW! Well, thanks! I'm, actually, working on getting some recordings of my piano and voice on my blog. I'll let you guys know if I can finally figure it out.

Ack! Is this turning into a fluffy warm fuzzy fest? Well, there's power in the positive word; so, I think we're safe.

Real Name
    Elise

Katy, it was so great to hear more about you. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you better, and to learn as we keep on chugging with our pictures.

Lovely blogs, too. I wish I could do that --
    Last edited by mythlady; 6th December 2010 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Katy, it was so great to hear more about you. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you better, and to learn as we keep on chugging with our pictures.

Lovely blogs, too. I wish I could do that --
    Oh, somehow, I just bet that you could....

Thanks!

Real Name
    Kay

Well done Katy..
    he's quite the persuasive one that Rob! but you've shared some really interesting stories, so thank you.
    I too have had a wee look at your blog, so I can't wait till we can hear some of your singing.
    I think you are an inspiration how you are taking on new challenges, embracing life and still getting the family fed! and with homemade scones no less.
    It has been great to get to know you over these past months and I look forward to seeing more of your photography skills.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

How do you get time for photography with all else that you do in your life?

Insightful and thoughtful comments about photography and developing as a photographer.

Well done.

Real Name
    Suzanne

HA! She never thought I'd read this. The scone recipe is mine. She did however alter it to perfection for the Vermont altitude and climate, which I am very thankful to her for. (But it's really my recipe ) I have to say it's been a lot of fun having Katy jump into the 2 dimentional arena with me. I guess we talked abut her singing but it has been a lot of fun really getting into nuts and bolts about her art work. *Mushy moment diclaimer* . . . I'm very proud of her.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
    HA! She never thought I'd read this. The scone recipe is mine.
    Right. The difficulty we have is that those of us not in the Vermont/New England area cannot sample the evidence. So, we need to organise the 2011 CiC convention on Katy's front lawn. I'll charter the plane. Everyone happy leaving from Edinburgh? The southern hemisphere chapter could come in via Amsterdam. Or, better still, Colin could fly his Lear Jet and just stop off across Europe en route.

Rob - could you get the beer? (Mike (Clactonian) - You're on the wine)

Steve (Wirefox)- could you ask Beckie if she could do the pics? We'll need a decent photographer.

Katy - You're on the scones.

Colin - Could you take all the lighting gear, etc?
    Last edited by Donald; 6th December 2010 at 04:38 PM.

Real Name
    Suzanne

LOL Donald, I think both Katy and I would rather come to Scotland. Katy, how many pennies do we have left after shopping last night?

HA! She never thought I'd read this.
    Yes, but I was the one who talked you into joining, yesterday! Welcome, Sis!

The scone recipe is mine. She did however alter it to perfection for the Vermont altitude and climate, which I am very thankful to her for. (But it's really my recipe )
    I began working on the "perfect" scone in California, when I knew that in six months time, I would be moving out to Vermont to open the tea room. It began as Suzy's but I really did alter it over 30% by the time we opened. Do you know how awkward it is to test a whole batch of scones over and over again until you get it right? I had to keep finding volunteers to eat the "not quite there, yet" batches. (Just insert a tongue hanging out of that "smilie" and you get the picture.) However, I will gladly tell you that she was the one who came up with the secret ingredient. My original wording (Whilst there, I perfected my baking of the best scone in the world. It's just a fact.) was good! Perhaps, we could, now call it our scone recipe and it would make sense.

I have to say it's been a lot of fun having Katy jump into the 2 dimentional arena with me. I guess we talked abut her singing but it has been a lot of fun really getting into nuts and bolts about her art work. *Mushy moment diclaimer* . . . I'm very proud of her.
    P.S. The scone really is that good! We've had all sorts of people come and contest it - from Devon, no less. They always conceded - even the roly-poly baker with the shining, red cheeks! The funniest time was when a couple (from Devon) came to the tea room. When she saw the claim, she snorted and said, "I, actually, am the one who makes the 'best scone in the world'! Everyone knows it!" I mildly said, "well, I can't wait to see how mine measures up." When I came back out, I asked how it was and her husband enthusiastically with glowing and excited face, looked up and said, "Oh! this is the best scone I've ever had!" I thought the story was going to turn into a gruesome murder but, apparently, the wife waited for a subtler, more mysterious moment to do her husband in.
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 6th December 2010 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Right. The difficulty we have is that those of us not in the Vermont/New England area cannot sample the evidence. So, we need to organise the 2011 CiC convention on Katy's front lawn. I'll charter the plane. Everyone happy leaving from Edinburgh? The southern hemisphere chapter could come in via Amsterdam. Or, better still, Colin could fly his Lear Jet and just stop off across Europe en route.

Rob - could you get the beer? (Mike (Clactonian) - You're on the wine)

Steve (Wirefox)- could you ask Beckie if she could do the pics? We'll need a decent photographer.

Katy - You're on the scones.

Colin - Could you take all the lighting gear, etc?
    Well, come on, then, there's plenty of room! (It's just a bit chilly at the mo.)

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Just caught up with, and enjoyed, your interview Katy. (I've been perilously close to Rob territory for the weekend).
    I'm all for Donald's little jaunt and am happy to pitch in as suggested, but I think some of us old lags will come home thoroughly demoralised by your talent and progress with the old Box Brownie. It's bad enough sensing your energy and progress on CiC.

Thanks, Kay and Donald! You both were really important in welcoming me in and making me feel right at home. I appreciate it!

Did I give the impression that I was doing it all? Haha! Nooooooooooooo!

I think you are an inspiration how you are taking on new challenges, embracing life and still getting the family fed! and with homemade scones no less.
    I think that I've been getting "old" early, in this respect. I could care less, now, what makes sense for me to do or not. I'm finally starting to trust my instincts and thoughts and abilities. I can't believe that I'm saying this, but, the singing and the tea room were "safe" ventures. I knew that I could do them. Photography,.... not so sure - I just love it, though!!! I mean, is there anybody, here, who knows what I mean??? Anyway, all of those years, not being sure of myself...... having fun, though!

LOL Donald, I think both Katy and I would rather come to Scotland. Katy, how many pennies do we have left after shopping last night?
    I KNOW! I thought of that!!! er, not many....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast