Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In conversation with... Steve O'Neill (Wirefox to you)

In conversation with... Steve O'Neill (Wirefox to you)

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

In conversation with... Steve O'Neill

I think it fair to say that Steve is one of the most charismatic members of CiC. His views, and the way that he expresses them are both amusing and informative. His photography is, how shall I say this?.... different! (God, I'm sounding like Parky)

Enough! Meet Steve...

Name: Steve ONeill
    Date joined CiC: Mar 2009
    Current posts: 1,100

Rob: Thanks very much for taking the time to talk to us today, Steve.

Steve: No problem Rob, but could you just turn those halogen lamps down. They are hurting my eyes. Oh, and when do I get to see my hamster live and well again as promised?

One word out of place and the hamster gets it! Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground and work history – anything interesting there?

I grew up on a council estate near Leigh, Lancashire. I spent my childhood and youth outside in the fields and woodlands in an around Chat Moss. I became quite proficient with catapults, air guns and a 410 gauge shotgun. My only ambition was to become a game keeper. Needless to say when I was 16 I left school with a decent grade in 'Art' and did what every likely lad did in those days and signed articles for an Engineering apprenticeship. Through that I went back into higher education and qualified as a Engineer/Designer working in the nuclear industry. After a number of years designing process and mechanical equipment I did a stint in the Resident Engineers Office on one of the largest engineering projects in Europe (at the time), living and working in Cumbria. This suited me fine for a while as I had been into climbing and fell walking for years. Most weekends, year-round were spent in North Wales, Yorkshire and Cumbria.

I chose to take voluntary severance in 1995 and kicked around pondering my options. At that time I looked after my 2 young kids whilst WireVixen went to work. During my time as a designer I had become pretty proficient in PC database design and development. I went back into the same industry providing database development consultancy. There was a distinct shortage of safety assessors in the nuclear industry and I got roped into probabilistic radiological risk assessment and design basis accident analysis. I now have my own company providing safety assessment, safety case management and strategy services.

That makes me feel tired! And what about your family life?

I married WireVixen in 1985. She was only just 18 but her Dad was keen to marry her off, at one point he offered to pay for us to elope. I often wonder why he accepted us. I was a long haired hippy type and he was a Regimental Sergeant Major in the Royal Artillery. We have been married for 25 years now, and have 3 children - two girls and a boy. We are a very close family and so far there is nothing my two girls will not talk to me about (to my squirming embarrassment). Our parents live locally as do most of my family. WireVixen's family is a little wider spread.

You’re in tonight. What would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

This is difficult because I am a prolific reader. If I had to choose it would probably be The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. Much as I would like to say that my favourite film is one of those French cinematographic social studies that people with fondue sets bang-on about it isn't. My favourite film is Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman (mainly Ingrid Bergman). Food wise it would have to be a starter of buffalo mozzarella with wild honey and walnuts, main; Fresh hand-made pasta with a wild mushroom sauce and a cherry panna cotta to finish. Failing that, Marmite on Toast with a large mug of hot tea.

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

I read widely on British history and have a fair knowledge of local and industrial history. I enjoy my cycling and walking. But what I really enjoy is watching and contributing to the growth of my children (what a wet lettuce).

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

What got me interested? In a word, Penthouse Magazine and Aircraft Illustrated Magazine. That’s two, but what the hell, I’m serious. At a formative age those magazines showed me the complete opposite ends of photographs I knew I now wanted to produce. But I really started to think about the photographs I was taking when my parents bought a Polaroid B/W Land Camera to take on holiday to North Wales.

When I was about 16 (1978) I started to think that David Bailey was rather cool (and he seemed to shoot and pull the birds) so I asked for and got an Olympus OM2n for my birthday. I took b/w images and my mate developed them but what I really liked was colour slide film. The OM2n never did pull many birds and the ones it did never seemed to shave their legs. So after agreeing to photograph an ex-girlfriends wedding (which turned out fine considering the steady intake of Greenalls Original) I drifted into Carlsberg Special Brew and Heavy Metal. The girls shaved their legs at least and I got to travel the country sleeping in various dives.

I really did not pick a camera up again (which I regret with a vengeance) until I bought a Sony DSC50 to photograph our family holidays in 2000. I loved the instant results and ability to PP. I bought a FujiFilm S7000 in 2004 to take to California and a Canon 450D DSLR in March 2009. My present camera is a 40D. To be honest I have never been that interested in the cameras themselves but digital cameras gave me an outlet for stuff that was going on in my head so it has been a means to an end.

And what type of photography are you interested in, and why?

Apart from Penthouse Magazine,, still life and abstract - for the simple reason that I don't have to think about technicalities too much. I get ideas in my head and really enjoy trying to interpret them through photography.

Any particular photographic influences?

Apart from Penthouse Magazine, Rob, Dave, Colin and Sean (you can slip me the brown envelopes on the way out). I do not have a favourite photographer but I do have tremendous respect for Margaret Cameron who produced images in the 1860's. She was ostracised by the photographic establishment for her fuzzy arty images but refused to conform. As a result we have some of the most influential work from that period. I have always held that your influences should not be other photographs but what you see around you and more importantly understanding how your brain is interpreting the scene.

What do you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I dabbled with a few forums before CiC but to be honest they were dominated by the dark side of the game - gear lust! For me, CiC was a breath of fresh air. The members are genuinely interested in each other’s work and the moderators and administrator are right in the thick of it. CiC is a lot more personal than most forums and there is always an element of humour running through the discussion. CiC has without doubt contributed greatly to the improvement of my photography.

In terms of forum improvement we are already seeing a steady introduction of new ideas and forum presentation. For the future I would like to see a challenge that involves Colin doing a portrait shoot armed with a Holga and a 500 candle flash light. (my cruel streak). I suppose really I would just like to see the steady stream of newcomers continuing to contribute and develop with CiC. I think the unique thing is that we actually get a genuine enjoyment from seeing other people develop.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Well I am nearing the age when I can settle for a goodnight kiss and a cup of Horlicks. WireVixen is at that certain age when the fair sex seem think they are 18 again, but apart from that I can usually switch off. The main worry in this current climate is continued work contracts. But if you worry too much about what could be you miss out on what is.

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

Rummaging through my Walmart carrier bag...Canon 40D, Canon, 18-55mm (kit), Zuiko 50mm (with flange converter). Canon 28-200 USM. A couple of tripods, an 430EX II speedlight, 3m and 5m ETTL cables, a old manual flash unit, combo 36" reflector, Flash stands and fire through brollies, a light box and accessories, Manfrotto monopod and a half-sucked Uncle Joe's Mintball.

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

Currently the images I produce give me a glimmer of what could be, and that drives me on. I would like to think I am showing glimmers of promise. So at present, in my genre, competent amateur.

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

Hopefully we will have ditched the megapixel fallacy. I think for the serious art/people photographer large format digi-cams will be the tool of choice. For gear heads i think they will still have DSLRs but with far more intelligent sensors and on-board computing power. For the strong silent types I would like to think that the smaller sensor cameras like the Olympus pen will have developed into a really usable piece of kit for the discerning pro. So on balance I am not sure I will own a DSLR. I suspect for me it will be the Olympus Pen 2020.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

I do give casual advice to colleagues. And I like to think I encourage people in their efforts. My youngest daughter is just starting her A-level course in Photography so I want to encourage her as much as possible and pass on my limited knowledge.

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

Any medium that allows the emotions generated in one’s mind to be transferred to another individual or individuals, whether it be a direct transfer or a prompt for their own emotion, is art. So yes photography can be art. The difficulty with photography is that it can also be a mechanical means to transfer an image capture from one moment in time to another. If this is done well it is a technical accomplishment, but not necessarily art. There are two distinct camps (with the usual blurring around the edges) What I do get slightly irked by is the term 'Fine Art Photographer' when it is clear the photographer is actually in the trade of producing commercially acceptable imagery.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

I am 47 going bald, have more salt and pepper in my beard than the condiments table at Lancaster motorway services and I am built like a pregnant telegraph pole, so what do you think? In truth I tolerate it for family photos but that is it.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Don't do it. You will become an intolerable bore, you will come back from a six-hour dawn shoot of a Natterjack toad's right testicle and find your partner in bed with the spotty kid from the Apple Genius Bar and the government will scan your hard drive for indecent images of Osama Bin Laden's Y-Fronts...oh, you're still here.. right then don't you dare, for one movement, think about comparing technical specs of DSLRs, don't buy Which magazine and do not read any reviews whatsoever. Go to your nearest Canon dealer, don a pair of ear defenders, pick up and fondle a few cameras. The one that feels all snuggly and sexy...buy it (not bad advice for human relationships either), read the quick start guide and go out and shoot (not forgetting to advise your partner on safe sex).

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

I am 6ft 6in tall and 210lbsÉso don't even think about disagreeing with anything I have said.

Unfortunately, that's all we have time for, Steve, but I want to thank you for taking the time to talk to us. It’s been a real pleasure, and I'm sure others will enjoy it.

Thank YOU, Oprah.

Re: In conversation with... Steve O'Neill (Wirefox to you)

If you have any questions you wish to ask Steve, or perhaps just make a comment, please post them here.

And I want to thank Steve again for such an entertaining participation.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Excellent 2nd episode.

This is proving to be a tremendous idea, Rob. Hope some newer members have PM'd you and volunteered to be laid out on the psychiatrist's couch.

be laid out on the psychiatrist's couch.
    Actually he didn't event try to touch my knee never mind lay me out on the couch. I think you may have gotten your bookmarks mixed up again

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Excellent 2nd episode.

This is proving to be a tremendous idea, Rob. Hope some newer members have PM'd you and volunteered to be laid out on the psychiatrist's couch.
    Well.. funny you should say that. No. But I have tried press-ganging a few ladies for the couch and I must say they are proving to be tough cookies (they said no, too!) What am I doing wrong? Am I not good-looking. charming, suave (did I spell that right Myra?) Myra! What about Myra?

Real Name
    Peter

Well done Rob and Steve. I really enjoyed reading it.

Great insight Steve that helps us understand more about the wierd and wonderful you produce.

... bump

Real Name
    David

Well Steve, I now have a better understanding of why Warrington is the way it is. There is another side other than IKEA and vodka I'm interested in your comments re art and photography. There are some so-called fine art photographers who seem to have no appreciation of art at all, yet charge high prices for mundane work. There is much to be learnt about the use of light and colour, form and composition, mood and emotion from artists. Perhaps photographers should make time to study the works of the likes of Rembrandt, Matisse, and even the abstract guys like Kandinsky and Mondrian.

If I have one criticism of this otherwise excellent idea, it would be that there are no photographs! Some illustrative images and a discussion about them would be an enhancement.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    If I have one criticism of this otherwise excellent idea, it would be that there are no photographs! Some illustrative images and a discussion about them would be an enhancement.
    What a good idea!

Perhaps the subject should choose one picture of their own that, in one way or another, they invested a lot of time/effort, or learnt a lot from, or was a turning point in their development.

... and obviously say a few words about it

Cheers,

Real Name
    Jeroen

Good idea rob,
    I like to get a 'look behind the scenes' of interesting people ( and photographers in paticular) . As suggestion, let your victim () show some of their own favorite shots and refer why they like it that much to also give a view of the persons work and his view on it (this could also be inspiring shots from other photographers they admire).

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

David

Thanks. A good idea, and I did think of it last week, but forgot to include it. I'll try it for the next one, next week.

Well Steve, I now have a better understanding of why Warrington is the way it is. There is another side other than IKEA and vodka I'm interested in your comments re art and photography. There are some so-called fine art photographers who seem to have no appreciation of art at all, yet charge high prices for mundane work. There is much to be learnt about the use of light and colour, form and composition, mood and emotion from artists. Perhaps photographers should make time to study the works of the likes of Rembrandt, Matisse, and even the abstract guys like Kandinsky and Mondrian
    Ah, you see, we are not all beer guts and leopard print thongs in Warrington (just the majority). We may speak with a peculiar mix of Salford and Scouse but we do know how to embellish the fine art of B*****ks. I agree totally that we should study other forms of art. Even down to the great utopian landcape gardeners like Capability Brown. He excelled in creating landcape and memory by 'arranging' nature to tell a human story. We perhaps should not study too hard though. True art can only come from the artists own thought and experience. Study of other work should be a stimulant we should pop sparingly if we are to avoid mimicry.

So, my inspirational image. 'Sadness' by Margaret Cameron. The subject is the 16 year old actress Ellen Terry. Ellen was staying with the Camerons after a marital split with a much older man. The image for me does everything a photograph should. It captures a life experience in an intimate and timeless way. The image created in the 1860's is as relevant today as it was then. There is no glamour but an extreme beauty that can only be captured in adversity.

A turning point image for my own stuff is difficult but on balance I think the image below made me realise I could tell and story and suggest sensuality or provocotiveness in a very, very simple way. This image drove home the importance of simplicity of subject matter and fact that what is left unsaid can be infinately more poweful than what is spelt out to us.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Steve, I am a great admirer of your ability to take a simple "something" or even part of a something and completely transform it into a story.

Real Name
    António Correia

Great Steve
    The shot of the boots is fantastic. An image with a message