Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In conversation with... Raylee O'Neill (AKA Camellia)

In conversation with... Raylee O'Neill (AKA Camellia)

Those with previous form...

Sean T. McHugh (McQ)
    Steve O'Neill (Wirefox)
    Kay Wilson (wilgk)
    Mike (Clactonian)
    Colin Southern
    Peter Ryan
    Donald Mackenzie
    Jeroen Kippenberg

She's a lady (which is good), she's Australian (which is also good), and she's here...

If you have any questions, comments, or just want to volunteer yourself then post them below please.
    Last edited by carregwen; 19th November 2010 at 11:59 PM.

Re: In conversation with... Raylee O'Neill (AKA Camellia)

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

In conversation with...Raylee O’Neill

Name: Raylee O’Neill

Rob: Thanks very much for taking the time to talk to us today.

Thank you for asking me Rob. I was quite flattered by your request considering I'm so new on CiC.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history – anything interesting?

I have a Bachelor of Economics degree with a major in accounting. I have been working in the Australian government on taxation matters since I left school. I can hear all the Australian forum members saying ‘of course, where else do people in Canberra work?’. But not everyone in Canberra works for the Government – really!

I saw just the car plate for you this evening - (** TAX). What about your family life?

I have a better half – James - who attempts to keep me on the straight and narrow. I have visiting wild birds in the backyard that expect me to feed them. I’ve met this year’s baby magpie and no doubt the parents will be leaving her with us for babysitting.

Editor's pick... (good composition and sense of depth)

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

I love a good crime novel, especially Ian Rankin’s Rebus books. For a movie: Casablanca or The Maltese Falcon for a classic; any Monty Python or Carry On movie for silliness.

Favourite meal would be sushi and sashimi.

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

Books, music, football (AFL) – that is reading, listening and watching. I love books and I always have a book with me, I enjoy live music and I can’t live without my IPod. I enjoy seeing Carlton play – preferably when they win.

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

I got my first SLR as a teenager – an Olympus OM-2n. Then I upgraded to a Canon EOS50. Photography was neglected for many years because of other priorities. In January 2009 I bought a digital point and shoot and in December 2009 I bought my Canon EOS500D. The limitations of the P&S were driving me nuts and I was hanging out for a DSLR. The P&S is taken to concerts now.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

I enjoy all photography but I especially love black and white and macro photography. Why B&W: I probably watched too many old movies as a teenager. I loved movie books and I was forever looking at the wonderful portraits of the stars.'

Editor's pick...

Any particular photographic influences?

Old movies – Greta Garbo, Humphrey Bogart; Vogue magazines – fashion photography of any era, Cecil Beaton; National Geographic magazines as a child. I particularly love Robert Mapplethorpe’s flowers photography. We saw a Mapplethorpe exhibition in the 1990s – I loved it, James wasn’t so impressed.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

To learn lots and to keep learning. I find photography relaxing and I like the creative outlet. I enjoy producing something tangible. I hope that other people find my photos pleasing and enjoyable.

What do you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I love the friendly advice on this site and the sense of humour of the members. I also enjoy seeing photos of and finding out about where other people live. I like being inspired by other people’s work. I hope that CiC continues to be a fun and friendly community to learn and share in.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Usually a song lyric stuck in my head.

What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

I have the Canon 500D but would love to upgrade to the 7D (I know – it’s not even 12 months old yet)

Canon 18-200mm IS lens (kit lens),
    Canon EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM lens
    Canon EFS 60mm f2.8 USM lens
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM lens.
    Canon EFS 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM lens.

I have an old Canon 380EX flash. I also have a Manfrotto tripod.

I have recently upgraded from Digital Photo Professional and Photoshop Elements 8 to Photoshop CS5.

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

Learning… I have lots of ideas, lots of images in my head of photos that I'd like to create. I'm learning how to turn those ideas into reality. The glamour photos of Hollywood stars, especially Greta Garbo, are ingrained in my brain. I've always loved glamour and fashion and I've been influenced by fashion magazines and books for as long as I can remember. Again, those images by the likes of Cecil Beaton are permanently with me.

So, I'm at the stage of learning how to make the images I like - both from a technical perspective and from a creative perspective with PP. I have lots to learn but as long as I can create an image I like, I feel like I'm improving and developing.

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

I don’t know what it will be like but I certainly intend to own one.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

Not yet – I’m still learning, but I’m happy to tell people what I like about their photos. I think positive feedback and encouragement is very important.

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

Most definitely. I feel concerned about the restrictions that are being placed on photographers today as both artists and documenters of everyday life.

The photos that affect me the most are ones of beauty – whether it be a beautiful face, flower, or scenery – it doesn’t matter. But then I also love looking at photos of different eras and imagining what life was like then and wondering about the subjects in the photos. I saw a Taryn Simon exhibition recently called An American Index of the Hidden and Unfamiliar. Brilliantly disturbing images. Disturbing in a thought provoking way.

Something I'm discovering about my photographic likes is that shape is very important to me. When an image appeals to me, it is often the shapes and structures that jump out at me. So yes, I think photography is art.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

Extremely reluctant.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Enjoy yourself, have fun and take photos of things you like.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

I like this photo because I really felt that I'd captured a feeling for the first time.

I like this one because it shows my musical influences and it was one of the first photos that I started to use PP with.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

If I had a time machine, I’d go back to London in 1977 and see the Sex Pistols live. And then I’d go back to a wild cocktail party in the 1920s with Coco Chanel and Greta Garbo. And then I’d be a bohemian in Paris drinking absinthe with Toulouse-Lautrec. And on all of these trips, I’d take my camera.

That's all we have time for, Raylee, but I want to thank you for taking the time to talk to us. It’s been a real pleasure, and I'm sure others will enjoy it.

Thank you very much Rob for asking me to take part in this exercise. It’s been fun.

Raylee

Thanks for doing this, it was very good of you. You are what we over here call a 'brick' in the nicest possible way, of course.

Oh, how fun to get to know you better, Raylee! It's, also, interesting to know where your B&W flair comes from. I have a blogging friend from Belgium who loves and often shares old B&W fashion photos from the '30s. They're amazing! One photo that sticks out in my mind is a beautifully chic woman in a fitted B&W polka dotted dress with a big hat. She's at some garden party or polo match. Next to here is a gorgeous dalmatian. The photos are so full of emotion and flare and style and mood and unbelievable lighting.

You're one of my heroes on this site. Keep up the lovely work, please - it's an inspiration to us all!

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Oh, how fun to get to know you better, Raylee! It's, also, interesting to know where your B&W flair comes from. I have a blogging friend from Belgium who loves and often shares old B&W fashion photos from the '30s. They're amazing! One photo that sticks out in my mind is a beautifully chic woman in a fitted B&W polka dotted dress with a big hat. She's at some garden party or polo match. Next to here is a gorgeous dalmatian. The photos are so full of emotion and flare and style and mood and unbelievable lighting.

You're one of my heroes on this site. Keep up the lovely work, please - it's an inspiration to us all!
    You are so kind Katy!

I can picture the image you described. I absolutely love everything from the 20s and 30s. I love art deco.

Real Name
    Kay

Thankyou Raylee for joining in the fun....
    Now I'm sure I'm not the only one with a crick in my neck from looking at your music titles...
    I'm relieved to at least recognise a couple, makes me feel not quite so old!
    And as Katy said - keep your photos coming, they have a very special appeal, it will be a real privilege to see more of them.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

TAXATION !!!!!!!

Raylee

Good on you. It's great to have newer member take part as it does give a fresh perspective. And it's so informative to gain an understanding of what it is that stimulates and interests others. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    TAXATION !!!!!!!
    You'd better watch out Donald!

Thanks Katy, Kay and Donald. I'm enjoying your company here.

I must share this article to give people an idea of what it's like to live in Canberra.
    Last edited by Camellia; 20th November 2010 at 09:26 AM.

Hi, Raylee! This is the blog that I was talking about - with the fashion photos. If you look in the sidebar and scroll right down to the bottom (it's a bit of a ways), you'll see some of the photos that I'm talking about. Actually, for some reason, you remind me of her. (It might be that you look alike. ) She's a very lovely, gracious and stylish woman.

http://madeliefje-madelief.blogspot.com/

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

You were doing so well until I saw your record collection!!!!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and skills Raylee. Any body that likes fashion photog and black & white is a star in my book.

an Olympus OM-2n. Then I upgraded to a Canon EOS50
    Raylee, you were had..that wasn't an upgrade

Another great interview and by the way the Wombles are missing from your album collection . By the way I am the blonde to the left of Noel Edmunds

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Raylee, you were had..that wasn't an upgrade

Another great interview and by the way the Wombles are missing from your album collection . By the way I am the blonde to the left of Noel Edmunds

I still have both those cameras, you know.

Wombles? Wait until you see my CD collection. The albums represent my 1980s. And what's wrong with Joy Division, New Order and The Smiths? I should've included some Bowie in that photo.

I still have my OM2n. I use the 50mm Zuiko on my 40D with a flange converter

And what's wrong with Joy Division, New Order and The Smiths?
    Nothing if you're a gal....runs for the exit

There is nothing wrong with them at all. They are bands that gave some depth to the 80's. Anyway you have the Cult and the Stranglers in there so you can be in my gang. I still have my ramones style bike leather but the lycra mix jeans and the furry, holely mohair jumpers have long since gone to the great fashion disaster in the sky.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I still have my OM2n. I use the 50mm Zuiko on my 40D with a flange converter

Nothing if you're a gal....runs for the exit

There is nothing wrong with them at all. They are bands that gave some depth to the 80's. Anyway you have the Cult and the Stranglers in there so you can be in my gang. I still have my ramones style bike leather but the lycra mix jeans and the furry, holely mohair jumpers have long since gone to the great fashion disaster in the sky.
    Steve

I saw The Stranglers last year in Melbourne. Absolutely brilliant concert. I was working my way to the front of the crowd but was glad that I didn't get there. The middle aged old punks who are now 20-30 kg heavier than they were in their day were pogo-ing and all crashed to the floor. I would've been taken out with them if I'd gotten just that little bit closer.

I saw The Cult this year in Melbourne too. Another great show.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi to you and James,

Good to read the interview and it was a great pleasure to learn more about your interests and influences that are reflected in your photographic style. Keep up the good work.

Real Name
    Jeroen

Raylee, good to get to know some more of what's going on behind the forum name.
    you have some really good black and white shots on your site.

Real Name
    Raylee

Hi Peter and Jeroen

It's nice to hear from you. Thanks for the comments. It's great to have found a forum with such friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and fun people.

I'll contact you soon Peter and we'll hopefully be able to catch up again.

Real Name
    Elise

Raylee, very happy to "meet" you in this way (I'm working my way through the series of interviews). I haven't been here long but have been very impressed with the work you're doing -- it's inspiring me to improve my skill with macro, for one thing. I had a peek at your albums and I really love the one of the jail (gaol?). I love things like that and am hoping to get back to Alcatraz one of these days -- they have night photo shoots that I'm dying to go on.

Anyway, great to get to know you a bit!

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Raylee, very happy to "meet" you in this way (I'm working my way through the series of interviews). I haven't been here long but have been very impressed with the work you're doing -- it's inspiring me to improve my skill with macro, for one thing. I had a peek at your albums and I really love the one of the jail (gaol?). I love things like that and am hoping to get back to Alcatraz one of these days -- they have night photo shoots that I'm dying to go on.

Anyway, great to get to know you a bit!
    Thanks Elise. I went to Alcatraz in the mid 90s and loved it. I had a film camera at that time and I'm tempted to transfer the negatives to digital to see if I can do anything with them. I look forward to seeing your Alcatraz shots.