Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In conversation with... Pops Carter (AKA PopsPhotos)

In conversation with... Pops Carter (AKA PopsPhotos)

Those with previous form...

Sean T. McHugh (McQ)
    Steve O'Neill (Wirefox)
    Kay Wilson (wilgk)
    Mike (Clactonian)
    Colin Southern
    Peter Ryan
    Donald Mackenzie
    Jeroen Kippenberg
    Raylee O'Neill

He may not, in his own words. 'post very much', but he assures me that he can shoot straighter than John Wayne did, and is better-looking than Clint. Ah! they don't make 'em like that any more, even way out West...

You are welcome to make comments or ask Pops questions.

Thanks for doing this, Pops!

Re: In conversation with... Pops Carter (AKA PopsPhotos)

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

In conversation with... Pops Carter

Name: Pops Carter

Rob: Thanks very much for taking the time to talk to us today, Pops.

Pops: I'm wondering why I was chosen, as I don't post all that much, but I'm flattered enough to take you up on it. (Thanks for the input to my bank account. )

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history – anything interesting?

I closed a photo studio in 1958 to go into electronics, as I had discovered that I didn't play well with people. I was in electronics from then until 1998, when I started driving a school bus. I worked in maintenance and operations for various research projects, and maintenance and operations for large communications companies until 1978. At that time, I moved into the budding micro-computer field and worked in that field until coming back to Moses Lake in 1998.

And what about your family life?

I'm married to a marvellous woman who is just too patient with me for her own good. We have four children, assorted grandchildren, and a couple of great-grandchildren.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

Probably a simple meal and one of several books I have going right now. I read history, political treatises, camera and photography and gunsmithing/machinists books.

Editor's pick...

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

I would have to say that shooting is my next most absorbing interest. That said, teaching and helping kids in photography and social interactions comes a close second.

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

Shortly after WWII, the US Navy White House Photographer moved back to our little town, where Dad owned the newspaper. For some reason he took an interest in me and started to mentor me. From there it just grew, until 1958, when I stopped working at it seriously. I did take many pictures during the ensuing hiatus, however, doing nature shots for various publications and stringing as a photojournalist at times. Only upon retiring from the school district did I decide to get back into photography seriously. I decided to call myself a "business" because I knew I would put off doing it each day if I called it a "hobby."

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

Right now my eye is caught most often by sunsets and horizons. Actually, I shoot pretty much anything with lines, angles, patterns, colours, shapes and such. I don't shoot people very often. As I display Asperger's Syndrome, my reticence comes naturally. In the 70+ years I've been hanging around this world, I've learned how to camouflage the symptoms, but it is always there.

Any particular photographic influences?

Probably Bill Belknap, through personal contact while growing up. After that, Ansel Adams, of course. Lately? I'd have to say many of the photographers who display here.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

I'm primarily interested in capturing line and colour to make people stop and take a second look. I still stop for the stray photojournalist's shot, when I see one, but my focus is on the pleasure of a well coloured and interesting shot of ... well, anything.

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I really like CiC and have sent a few people here. The members are not so full of themselves that new photographers are beaten down. The members here are all interested in giving and getting help and advice. I now belong to only two photography sites. The other is very similar to this one in that respect.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Today's political trend in the United States.

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

Nikon N70
    N80
    D40
    D70,
    Canon SD750.
    Lenses: 70-210mm AF (2), 28-80mm (2), 18-55mm, 55-200mm, E-series nifty 50mm, E-series 28mm, 400mm prime, assorted filters and such.

I use Image Expert, Picassa, PS6, PS7, PSE7, ViewNix2, RawTherapy and (rarely) GIMPShop.

Editor's pick

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

The eye is still much better than the skill level, I'm afraid. I would place myself at about 7 at most times, with a slide down to about 2 when I let myself get careless and with a rare 10 when everything comes together.

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

It is hard to tell where the digital camera is going, but I suspect the still/video hybrids will be the next selling points. I will still own digital camera(s), but that is because they will continue to be useful tools.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

I volunteer teach for the local county home school association, and help others out when it seems appropriate. I just started a new adult student this week.

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

Photography in a technical skill which allows art to be produced. Ask any sketch or paint artist, sculptor, architect or such if his tools of pencils, paint brushes, chisels and or dynamite is art or if they are just the tools for creating his art.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

If you want a well focused, well composed, balanced photograph of my camera and one eye, shoot away.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Learn the difference between looking and seeing.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

This one shows me that I still have the ability to SEE when it is presented.I was on a dead run to get a picture of the rodeo bulls against the sunset when I saw this out of the corner of my eye.
    This one to show that taking a shot for one reason sometimes results in a good picture for another reason. I took this one to demonstrate to students that it is not the subject that matters, in all cases.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

Something silly, moi? Never! Well, except for the fact that I am a Quaker who has been in the military, has carried a gun and a badge, and was once trained by an elite bunch of RAF rowdies.

That's all we have time for, Pops, but I want to thank you for taking the time to talk to us. It’s been a real pleasure, and I'm sure others will enjoy it. Stay healthy.

Thank you for thinking I'll be interesting enough to keep our members from nodding off.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Wonderful, Pops. Thank you.

It's those, seemingly, simplistic statements such as ' Learning the difference between looking and seeing' and your references to Belknap's notion of 'Photograph to Picture', reveal the vast knowledge, experience and skill (and sense) you have and share.

Your commentary on other images is always so insightful. You 'see' what others (I) often can't see. Just reading your posts is an education.
    Last edited by Donald; 29th November 2010 at 02:32 PM.

Oh, Pops! Thanks for being open enough to do this! Thanks, also, for the insights that make me think or rethink what we're about, here, with this photography thing.

Real Name
    Terry

Nice, Pops!

I have considered you one of the most talented, down-to-earth, grounded, helpful, and likable members of this forum since I have been watching it.

This interview just confirms my theory! Maybe it was the caged cat and free bird avatar!

Either way, I enjoyed your read. Maybe you could take that bribe $$ from Rob and treat yourself and that marvelous and patient wife of yours to a nice night on the town!

bump...

Real Name
    Pops

Thank you for the compliments.

I failed to include a link to my mentor.

http://library.nau.edu/speccoll/exhi...nap/index.html

I once had a Gentleman tell me somethiing very interesting.

"A Genius is one who can learn and understand a complex subject in gestalt. One glance, as it were. A Teacher is the one who has to struggle and work to understand that subject, because he is the one who understands best how to pass the information on in understandable bits."
    Robert Oppenheimer - 1904-1967

I guess I would fall into the second catagory. I'm still struggling.

Pops
    Last edited by PopsPhotos; 30th November 2010 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Fixed the link

I might casuuuuually mention, btw, that I have 3 little boys that (for simplicities sake, I'll just say) are little Aspergerians. (We've PMd about this before. ) It's more interesting than people realize in my home. They each have such incredible and extraordinary strengths and some pretty rough weaknesses. Anyway, it means that visual genius abounds, around here. One of my sons just took this a few weeks ago with the little cheap camera that we let them use.

You know, I just realized that I didn't have to straighten this at all - he's only 10!

My older son is brilliant with a video camera but Lego stop motion is ALWAYS on his mind. I am positive that you will understand.

I'm pretty sure that Santa will be bringing them a better camera for Christmas.

edit: Pops understood perfectly! Thanks again for the kind PMs!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 30th November 2010 at 01:36 PM.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Yet again I have to say 'It's good to get to know you" this time to Pops.
    Rob is to be congratulated for starting this thread which in my view just brings us a little bit closer, when geographically we are mostly a world apart.
    Thanks for baring your soul Pops.
    Mike

Real Name
    Peter

Not much I can add Pops but I am always pleased when you are online and I enjoy your input.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Not much I can add Pops but I am always pleased when you are online and I enjoy your input.
    That sums up my feelings too Pops, but I'm useless at saying that sort of thing for myself

Real Name
    Kay

Dear Pops
    Thankyou for sharing.....your 'I don't play well with people' comment I think will resonate with quite a few of us.
    I am guessing those who do get to know you better will be well rewarded.
    Cheers

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Great to get to know you more, Pops. I drove through Moses Lake on the 90 once (I was going from Spokane to Mt Rainier). Nice area...and you have some amazing mountain ranges to the west of you.

Real Name
    Pops

Quote Originally Posted by McQ View Post
    Great to get to know you more, Pops. I drove through Moses Lake on the 90 once (I was going from Spokane to Mt Rainier). Nice area...and you have some amazing mountain ranges to the west of you.
    I enjoy those mountains very much. However, out here on the flats, you can see so much farther.

Most people come through here and see only the flatness. If you get out and around a little you will find little draws, coulees, canyons and rock ridges all over the place just asking for an interesting picture to be found.

Pops

Mod bump...

Pops, a very interesting read. One thing stands out for me that speaks volumes of you as a person

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Today's political trend in the United States.
    I think this shows a great selflessness. Certainly in our (perhaps skewed) vision of the USA it seems the stars and stripes have become a slave of nationalism rather than patriotism (never to be confused) and blind following of government policy it is most refreshing to hear that an ordinary American is kept awake by his countries political direction. I sincerely hope you are not the only one I think we all need to lose a little sleep over our countries policies.

Real Name
    Elise

Most interesting to learn something about you, Pops -- good to meet you! I love Washington state, both the coastal area and the Spokane area, which I've visited a couple of times. Great place to live.