Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In conversation with ...... Chris (Fit)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with ...... Chris (Fit)

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

In conversation with... Chris (Fit)

CiC: Thanks very much for taking the time to participate in 'In conversation with ...'.

I was pleased to be asked.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history – anything interesting?

I’ve worked in broadcasting for about 25 years, everything from late-night DJ to managing stations, producing documentaries and selling programming. I stumbled into my career while a musician (classical musician for about 20 years); ran across a 3x5 card asking for a part-time announcer. I knew my big mouth would get me in trouble some day.

And what about your family life?

Married (17 years) and no children.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

We really are homebodies and love reading and watching movies, especially the classics of the Silver Screen. As it happens, we rewatched one of the Harry Potter films last night but we’re just as likely to be watching Cary Grant or Powell and Loy in The Thin Man. As to a favorite meal, we’re quite satisfied with a cheese board with a couple of artisanal cheeses, charcuterie, Medjool dates… perhaps soup and certainly a very good bottle of Italian red.

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

Besides reading and movies, I am actively into fitness, spending, on average, ten hours weekly in the gym… eats up the time that many might spend with their camera. I like to get in the car and drive the countryside as well. My European friends might appreciate that the Fiat 500 just returned to the USA a couple of months ago. I’ve had mine about a month and already have too many miles on it. Such a fun drive and wonderful design statement.

EDITOR'S PICK #1

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

I’ve been interested all my life. I used to spend too much of my allowance shooting up rolls of film with cheap instamatics. I never took the time, however, to invest in good equipment or learning until now, 45 years into life.

I’ve always been fascinated by light. About a decade ago I experimented a bit in digital design for video games and was totally sucked in by learning to create scenes strongly dependent on light. Learning how to capture those on film and having the patience to find that perfect moment have been a real challenge versus the on-demand control of virtual reality.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

I don’t think I’ve found the answer to that. I gravitate to found objects, nature and the like and not so much people. I have a friend who is a spectacular portrait photographer. I’m awed how she captures million-dollar expressions along with perfect lighting seemingly effortlessly. I’d like to be able to achieve that some day but I’ll probably gravitate toward found moments, objects etc.

Any particular photographic influences?

CiC lately, certainly,

Ansel Adams is probably a cliché answer but he truly was an influence. Another photographer-friend studied with one of Ansel’s students in college so I was exposed to some of that.

While I was playing around with video game design, I was always hunting for imagery that portrayed urban decay, post-apocalyptic settings and the like. So sites like Opacity: http://www.opacity.us/ and
    Abandoned Places: http://www.abandoned-places.com/ certainly inspire me.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

If nothing else, I would like to become highly proficient at capturing a moment as well as possible. Even if it’s just occasional photos out with friends, at events or wandering in the woods. I want to be able to look back at the photo and not be reminded of the moment, so much, but rather to see it and think, gee, that’s a really nice image.

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I think the contests are brilliant and I like the smaller size of the community. As it grows, the administration of the site will need to grow to moderate the negative attention that comes with popularity (trolls, persons who hang around simply to cause trouble). So far the staff (Ed - McQ, we want a pay rise!) here do a brilliant job and the site meets my needs. I should add that the tutorials are some of the best around.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Ha! For me, it’s NOT having Photoshop, or Lightbox, or… I have to rely on Picasa right now which is not rewarding at all. I have yet to upgrade my PP gear due to other priorities. When budget allows, I need to continue investing in this passion. I’ve also been pondering career change… nothing stress inducing about THAT.

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

A stalwart Nikon D90 with the stock lens so far. One Gorilla pod and just picked up a LowePro bag. That’s it. Software I mentioned above. I used to be a dab hand at Photoshop, creating textures, light maps and the like for gaming. I am looking forward to relearning.

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

I’m told I have a good eye and artistic sense but my skills as a photographer are very novice. Still just learning how to get the D90 to capture what I see.

EDITOR'S PICK #2

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

I’d wager that it will be continually more menu-driven and even less manual, but somebody will devise a simpler way to quick work through menus to get the shot. There will be more powerful PP on board and 3D video will be ubiquitous. Camera phone lens technology will rival that of moderate SLR’s today though focal length will limit that.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

Beyond lending a critical eye to results, I need to be a student.

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

Absolutely. And this includes photo journalism. Few have moved people through imagery like the photographers of National Geographic.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

As a former musician and broadcaster, I’m a bit of a ham. Doesn’t bother me to be shot… though I don’t find myself photogenic in the least. A minor health issue hinders my ability to give a proper smile so I am a little self-conscious about that.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Really, really, really be sure you want to commit time and resource to this. When you are certain, buy the best glass you can at that point. And plan for that additional $1,000 or so in software and misc. It’s an expensive hobby if your desired outcomes are photos like those the pros shoot.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

Here’s one I posted at CiC recently. An abstract of the new Fiat. It’s one of the first where the picture reflected very accurately the shot in my mind’s eye.

This one gets at, in a small way, my love of the play of light.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

I’m a died-in-the wool Anglophile! Being USA born and raised, my wife an I share a love of things British and have vacationed a few times in Scotland and England. I have more Monty Python memorized than I care to admit.

Thank you, Chris, for taking the time to participate in the 'In conversation with ...'series

My pleasure, Donald. I hope that this small contribution to CiC can inspire others to feed their love of photography.

Click here to access all previous interviews in this series

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: In conversation with ...... Chris (Fit)

It was very nice to learn something about your background, Chris. From what I'm noticing, some of our members like you have a lot of background in music. No wonder the appreciation about art and photography seems to be natural with people involved in music. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for an interesting read, it's always fascinating to find out a bit more about people and where they live - on that, although I have heard of Twin Cities, my US geography is so poor I had to google to get an idea where you are (slap in the top center, not too far from Canada, just to the right of where the border stops being a straight line).

I see from the last shot you have one of those jewel shaped crystal things that produce the nice rainbows

Cheers,

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    It was very nice to learn something about your background, Chris. From what I'm noticing, some of our members like you have a lot of background in music. No wonder the appreciation about art and photography seems to be natural with people involved in music. Thanks a lot for sharing!
    Too true, Jiro- once a creative always a creative.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for an interesting read, it's always fascinating to find out a bit more about people and where they live - on that, although I have heard of Twin Cities, my US geography is so poor I had to google to get an idea where you are (slap in the top center, not too far from Canada, just to the right of where the border stops being a straight line).

I see from the last shot you have one of those jewel shaped crystal things that produce the nice rainbows

Cheers,
    Thanks Dave! It's actually beveled glass in our front door. this time of year as the sun is setting it hits the door just so.

Real Name
    Peter

Nice read Chris. It is a good way to get acquainted with a confirmed Anglophile. I have a bit of that myself as well. Twin cities huh, I have a colleague who has a house there. Everyone is always complaining about the cold here in Holland, but we don't really get cold compared to you guys

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    Nice read Chris. It is a good way to get acquainted with a confirmed Anglophile. I have a bit of that myself as well. Twin cities huh, I have a colleague who has a house there. Everyone is always complaining about the cold here in Holland, but we don't really get cold compared to you guys
    Especially after the last six months of winter!

(trolls, persons who hang around simply to cause trouble)
    CiC already has me

Great read Chris and your choice of car is impecable.

I have to rely on Picasa right now which is not rewarding at all. I have yet to upgrade my PP gear due to other priorities
    Chris, please give GIMP a spin you will not regret it and there are a few on here wjo will help you get started...me included

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks Steve. I used Gimp years ago and was unhappy with it at the time but hear it's much improved. I'll have to take a look