Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Upon reflection

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Upon reflection

Seems to be a lot of birdie pics around lately, I can't think why

It's nothing special, but the again ...
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/dhumph...53193901789090

Having played around with Iwan's birds on a river in Mom and daughter earlier, I thought I'd better do one of my own.

Feedback welcome, in particular, composition; I find it difficult to put this sort of shot "on the third's" without lots of plain water, is this an acceptable compromise?

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 25th January 2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: link in place of missing image

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Upon reflection

nice clear bird and good complementary colours between beak and water

When there is a very strong subject, there is a lot to be said for putting it fairly central; in this case a little higher up as bird and reflection form a whole? But it also seems right to give moving creatures some space to be appear to be moving into as you have here.

Looking at my birdies, a lot of them end up in a 5x4 or square frame, on the grounds used by judges who say 'there is no extra information' in plainish areas of background
    Last edited by crisscross; 26th January 2009 at 10:23 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Thanks Chris,

I like to think it's that nice, rich (and natural) blue colour in part due to the polariser I had attached and set for the sky - it obviously isn't set to 'kill' the reflection!

As it happens, I have this shot as my desktop wallpaper at the moment and you're right, I now realise it could do with being a little higher in the frame ideally.

Regards,

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I too think the square format is underutilized.

I would crop your image in a square, as below. It gives a strong reflection and enough space for the bird to move.

The other examples, clockwise show:

. using the square and allowing DoF to control the focus of the viewer's eye, but also I kept the square format to drop the main subject into the lower LH third - unlike your image, mine was high key (shot at sunrise) and I did not wish to increase the saturation nor the contrast, but rather let the light and the shallow DoF I selected do their job.

. this was completely visioned and composed as a square shot, in camera.

. a re-crop from a 7x5 - just experimentation - thinking outside the traditional rectangular formats.

WW

birds-square-format.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    As it happens, I have this shot as my desktop wallpaper at the moment and you're right, I now realise it could do with being a little higher in the frame ideally.
    As a little "aside", I've found that with reflection type shots you can often break the "rule of thirds" and get away with it.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    I too think the square format is underutilized.

I would crop your image in a square, as below. It gives a strong reflection and enough space for the bird to move.

The other examples, clockwise show:

. using the square and allowing DoF to control the focus of the viewer's eye, but also I kept the square format to drop the main subject into the lower LH third - unlike your image, mine was high key (shot at sunrise) and I did not wish to increase the saturation nor the contrast, but rather let the light and the shallow DoF I selected do their job.

. this was completely visioned and composed as a square shot, in camera.

. a re-crop from a 7x5 - just experimentation - thinking outside the traditional rectangular formats.

WW
    I think you have cropped both Dave's original and your Heron (heronish bird) overtight, a place for 8x10 format (vertical on the heron); your other 2, yes fine

If I can give my opinion then I agree that the crop is a little overtight, but the square works.

Ideally, I would also switch the photo so that the bird is facing right - then it would look like the bird is going forwards instead of backwards.

I like the colour contrast of white and blue - very nice.

Hard to capture with animals and especially birds, (but can be added with PS) - catch light in the eye.