Mom & daughter

What do you think ? about this foto MOM & DAUGHTER

Mom & daughter

Mom & daughter

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Mom & daughter

Hi iwan(?),

A brace of nice shots. I knew what I wanted to suggest for these, but couldn't put it into words adequately.
    So I had a quick go myself (with PS Elements 6), I hope you don't mind.

Mom & daughter
    #1; I did a slightly tighter crop, enhanced local contrast with USM (40%, 50px, 0th), resized to 700px width, then did a final sharpen (sorry, forgot to make a note). This has removed a bit of dead water and enhanced the ripples effect (I hope).

Mom & daughter
    #2; Another local contrast (20, 50, 0), a fair bit of cloning and healing out of gunk floating in the water which was spoiling things, slight levels adjust (white from 240), resize to 700px width, then final sharpen (100, 1.5, 5).

I consider myself quite inexpert in Post Processing (PP), but I like to pass on what works for me, if any more experienced 'PP'er wishes to improve upon my advice, don't hesitate, I'll learn too.

Nice noise free shots, well done.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask any questions,

Real Name
    Chris

especially like the daughter, not got worrying if her hair is right yet!

However when taking black and white things, you need to drop the exposure a bit so as not to 'blow' the white part as in mum's head and beak; Dave's tweaks have brought out the sheen in the feathers nicely (never really black), but you can never pull back an area that is blown.

On your coolpix I expect the easy way to do this is set the exposure down -1/3 or -2/3 EV, or maybe it does autobracketing, ie takes 3 shots = under exp, righ, over exp then choose.

Thank to all you reaction !

The son & Monkey !

HOT DAY !

Mom & daughter

Mom & daughter

I am loking for my answer ??

Mom & daughter

Real Name
    Chris

I think you have found a way out of the recession - get all the monkeys to use heavily advertised products humans can no longer afford. Can also imagine Grisly Bears lapping up all the surplus 4WDs to get around the Rockies quicker

The beach shot is nice, love sultry sunset pics and even better by the sea.

Are you Iwan and where do you live?

Real Name

Re: The son & Monkey !

Just a quick reply Iwan;

The problem with taking pictures of amusing things like the monkey is that they rarely happen exactly as one would wish for a 'good' photograph, and there's usually very little you can do about it at the time (or after). Therefore, these comments of what could be done to improve it may well have been impossible at the time, but hopefully will give you more of an 'eye' for what makes a good picture next time.

In both monkey pictures, the main subject is dead centre, which is rarely good composition; pictures often look better if the main subject is 'on a third', i.e. one third in from any two edges of a picture. Looking at the background, the view on the right is preferable to the tree on the left, but if you'd panned right, or crop the left off now, it won't really help much because then the monkey is facing out of frame, so you trade one compositional problem for another.

Ideally, the monkey would have been sitting on the left rail facing right, then the idea would work with the distant backgound of the cliffs.

Moving round to camera left might have put the monkey in front of a better view, or it could have also included something ugly we can't see! Staying longer and waiting for a better pose might have been possible, but doesn't account for anyone else wanting to enjoy the view. Technically, the monkey, being in shade, is underexposed, so fill flash would have helped, if the camera can do it and if you could get it switched on before the monkey disappears! Just one of those things I'm afraid.

You see what I mean about these ad-hoc incidents not usually being great photographic moments - you should still take them of course, they work on a personal level as reminders of the holiday for you.

The beach shot might have benefited from being taken with the camera panned a little more to the left to get both the sun and the chap on, or nearer, to the 'rule of thirds' lines. Although the current crop does show his insignificance in the wider landscape, it is a nice shot.

Hope that helps,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 25th January 2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: tidy up my English to make easier to read

Thank for reactions again. This foto's I took just today. I am calling this foto NOTHING

Mom & daughter

Mom & daughter

Real Name

Hi Iwan,

By the way, where were the thirsty monkey pictures taken?

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Iwan,

By the way, where were the thirsty monkey pictures taken?

Regards,
    Ik took in Padang Sumatra island. In that that I just bought my camera few days....