Thread: Three horses

Three horses

Early morning sun at the farm, Canon G9
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Three horses

Hi Alois,

Nice composition - this is the kind of scene that I could envisage being printed and hung on a wall somethere. Possibly the image could benefit from a tiny rotation to level it and minor sharpening & saturation tweaks?

Cheers,

Colin - pbase.com/cjsouthern

Three horses
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 19th January 2009 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Alois,

Nice composition - this is the kind of scene that I could envisage being printed and hung on a wall somethere. Possibly the image could benefit from a tiny rotation to level it and minor sharpening & saturation tweaks?

Cheers,

Colin - pbase.com/cjsouthern

Three horses
    It was sharp as a tack before I downsized it.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Alois,

I like this shot too. I'd give it a very slight curves adjustment, though. Hope that will help when you post us some more!

I regards to sharpening and resizing, take a look at this thread: When/How to Best Sharpen a Digital Photograph
    Last edited by McQ; 20th January 2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: split thread

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Alois View Post
    It was sharp as a tack before I downsized it.
    FYI, the large in-line photo is through PBase via Colin (thanks for that btw). However, the original version posted was an attachment and looks a ton sharper. Here's that version as an in-line image so you can clearly compare:

Three horses

If sharpness is key, try to avoid using PBase's internal downsizer when providing links to photos. It it notoriously bad since they're trying to conserve server horsepower. A standard bicubic downsizing is much, much better.

Great photo btw! It has a lot going for it...three different colored horses, the mist, the fall leaves, the composition, etc.

Real Name

"If sharpness is key, try to avoid using PBase's internal downsizer when providing links to photos. It it notoriously bad since they're trying to conserve server horsepower. A standard bicubic downsizing is much, much better."

Thanks Sean - I'm going to have to look more closely at that. I actually gave the 3 horses a bit of a sharpen prior to uploading to pbase, and did wonder why it looked soft (I put it down to bleary eyes first thing in the morning!). I'd be interested to see if I can coax the original out of pbase somehow.

Cheers,

Colin

Real Name

Alois,

I just wanted to take a moment to apologise to you - I looked at your image on my uncalibrated home screen, and now that I've looked at it again on my PP one, I think that your saturation levels are probably pretty close to ideal. The sharpening was a bit of a botch up - I gave it a bit of a sharpen at my end - uploaded it, but didn't check it properly after that - I wasn't aware that pbase was softening it so much until Sean pointed it out.

So sorry about those things - good job, and keep up the good work! :)

Cheers,

Colin

Real Name
    Chris

a nice image Alois, the colour of the front horse sortof reflecting the colour of the background trees, lovely afternoon (or morning?) light on both; thwn those barns and rusty fence tell of a bygone age when small agriculture realy mattered (still does, but we are ruled by people who think we can eat numbers)

oooohhhh, I like this shot. I love the soft background - creates a wonderful "feeling" to the photo!