Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Tay Bridge #6

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The Tay Bridge #6

This next one in my series of this structure is, perhaps, the most 'interesting' (or should that be controversial or, indeed, 'different'?).

I'm really keen to get reaction to this one. I like the exposure, but do you think the composition works?

The links to others in this series of studies are as follows:

Study 1
    Study 2
    Study 3
    Study 4
    Study 5

The Tay Bridge #6
    40D, 70-200mm f/4L IS @ 121mm. ISO100. 1/4@f11.

Real Name
    Jon

Re: The Tay Bridge #6

Donald, as with all of this series, your detail and tone are spot on. Having already seen the previous shots in the series, I just find myself wanting to see more of the structure. My Favorite of the series so far is #2.

OK, having sat here for several minutes looking at this one, I have come to realize that it has drawn me in and held me here staring at it....well done.

Real Name
    Sharon

Hi Donald,

I have watched this thread with great interest ...could you post them in a way that they can be looked as a set without jumping back and forward to links?

I would love to see them all together and think better comment could be given that way.

Cheers. S x

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    ... could you post them in a way that they can be looked as a set without jumping back and forward to links?
    Okay - Here goes (now just click on one of them and you can move through them in the lightbox)

The Tay Bridge #6

The Tay Bridge #6

The Tay Bridge #6

The Tay Bridge #6

The Tay Bridge #6

Real Name
    Sharon

Wow...the discipline and Dof in that last one is fantastic..it's so linear..clean and tight...yet atmospheric because ofthe mist..

As for the others I prefer the ones that show the line of the bridge and not the close up structures so much.

Thanks for grouping them Donald.

Real Name
    Myra

Donald, I can't possibly pick a favourite from the black and whites. Love the pristie lines and would want to frame and hang each of them on the same wall. They'd look phenomenal together.

Donald you're a true artist. My favorites are #1 and #5 for the many different tones and lines. Number 6 reminds me of an internet business I saw once where a couple took photos of things that formed a letter of the alphabet and sold them and made $$millions$$.

Real Name
    Miltos

I like the last one being different Donald.

The whole set is fantastic but the important thing is that you have really "studied" your theme very well "looking" at it with many different "eyes". The same bridge but also a new photographic world in each one.

Real Name
    Keith

I still prefer #4. #1 through #5 are about the bridge, #6 is something different, not in the set, as the road, not the bridge, is dominant. (In my humble opinion.)

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Donald,

Very, Very nice !! Lover how still the silvery Tay is. Tried for a sequence of shots last year when in Dundee scaffolding was in place at the River Side/Dundee End. Have they now removed the scaffolding ? I am to be in Dundee next week.

Regards

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    Very, Very nice !! Lover how still the silvery Tay is. Tried for a sequence of shots last year when in Dundee scaffolding was in place at the River Side/Dundee End. Have they now removed the scaffolding ?
    Yes. A small bit of scaffolding remains, but all the white sheeting to protect the crews working on the bridge repairs, has gone.

All you have to deal with now is the mayhem and confusion in the city centre/waterfront area with all the road realignment and destruction/construction work going on in relation to the redevelopment of the harbour area. I think someone must be running a betting card on how many people end up going over the Tay Road Bridge when they had no intention of doing so, all because the slip roads onto the bridge have been moved (again).

But it will be all be worth it once the new Victoria and Albert building is in place just beside the RRS Discovery (the ship that Scott travelled in to the Antarctic).

Anyway, thank you all for your views. It is great to be able to stimulate some differing views amongst people. That is always a healthy thing.

I have one more in the series to go. Will get it up before the end of the week. It's my favourite!
    Last edited by Donald; 6th June 2012 at 08:29 PM.

Real Name
    Ian

It's a great set of images, Donald.
    1, 2 and 3 - showing the curved expanse of the bridge - have an immediate appeal, and I do love no. 1, the reflections, and the way you've captured the bridge curving back on itself through the arches, fading into the mist - with even the faded, misty parts so clearly reflected in the spaces made by the arches and their reflections. That's really very skilfully and carefully done... and the clarity from your PP is spot-on...

The more graphic, somewhat abstract pair, 6 (latest post) and 4, are grabbing me, too, the more I look at them...

No. 7 has me wondering now... looking forward to it..!

Ian