Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Tay Bridge #2

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The Tay Bridge #2

For my 10,000th post on CiC (I really do need to get a life), I thought I'd put up something with which I'm quite pleased.

I was up at 4:15am this morning. It was one of those glorious 'glad-to-be-alive' mornings. A little chill in the air, but gloriously fresh with a massive golden sun creeping up over the horizon. I headed along the River Tay to Dundee (where I work).

Back in 2010 I, for the first time, made an image that I had planned for many, many weeks. To have done so was, for me, a huge step on the learning curve. The conditions were never right. But early on the morning of March 7th 2010 (7:16am, to be precise) it all came together. This is it here. I was (and remain) very proud of that image.

I've always wanted to make more images of the bridge from a different location. I knew what I wanted, but it's not been possible for the last two years because it's been covered in white plastic sheeting as a major repair programme was undertaken. That work has now been completed.

So, this is what I captured at 5:14am this morning.

As always, I am always keen to hear your views .... even after 10,000 posts on here!

The Tay Bridge #2
    Canon 40D, EF 24-70 f2.8 L @ 24mm. ISO100. 1/4 @f22
    Last edited by Donald; 26th May 2012 at 08:35 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: The Tay Bridge #2

' We were all flooded with a scarlet light'

( Michael Marra..Frida kahlo's visit to the Taybridge bar'

Beautiful,

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Donald

Congratulations on your 10,000th post and this wonderful image. It was certainly worth the time, planning, effort and early start. Great compostion, great use of the reflections. It is unusual to have a horizontal curve in a bridge but it makes for a very interesting picture. You seem to have picked the shooting position perfectly.

Dave

Real Name
    glenn

Donald looking at this image, I would say it was well worth the wait.
    I can see from the result that you have put a lot of thought and care into this shot.
    I love how you have captured the curve line of the bridge with the reflection in the water, you should be very,very proud of this shot.
    I personally can't wait for your next 10,000 posts, if this image is anything to go by.

Real Name
    Greg

Congratulations Donald on a magnificent photo.
    Tay Bridge #1 has always been one of one of my favourite of your photo's and #2 is just amazing.
    You and others in CiC inspire me to try to improve my photography and to see images like this sets clear goals for where I would like to be if I ever make 10,000 posts.
    Cheers Greg

Real Name
    Steve

Donald

What a wonderdul picture. Congratulations on your 10,000th post. A sincere thanks for all your time and effort in making us all better photographers.

Real Name
    Steve

Extremely well done donald. A graceful curve and well balanced by the reflection in the water. The only improvement i can see, is to fix the dust bunnies in the sky. (f/22 demands a clean sensor.)

Oh, and congrats on the 10,000 posts.

Awesome B & W and I really like the reflection in the water. Congrats on the 10,000th post. How are you liking that 24-70?

Real Name
    Bruce

Donald: great shot. Congragulations on your 10,000th post. Bruce

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you all. I'm very glad that you think it's a keeper.

Carl - I think the 24-70 is awesome. The sharpness is breathtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    The only improvement i can see, is to fix the dust bunnies in the sky. (f/22 demands a clean sensor.)
    I thought I had got them all. But I need to go back a clean it again. Thanks for pointing them out, Steve. I realise that it's time for another sensor clean - It is filthy! Need to get it done before I go off on holiday/vacation in three weeks time.
    Last edited by Donald; 27th May 2012 at 07:51 AM.

Real Name
    Miltos

Perfect geometry/composition/exposure Donald. An image it is a pleasure to look at. It really keep my eyes in it travelling along the curve.

Keep going for the 100.000 posts and many many more wonderful photographs like this one.