Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Tay Bridge #3

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The Tay Bridge #3

Hot on the heels of The Tay Bridge #2, comes The Tay Bridge #3 (and, yes, there will be more. I was there at 4:45am this morning in thick fog). But this one is from yesterday (at 5:20am). I just changed the lens from 'The Tay Bridge #2' and moved a bit.

This departs from my recent 1:1 (square) images, because I felt that what would really work was more of a panorama. This is at 16:9.

I'd really urge you to click on it and view it at the larger size in the lightbox.

Let me know what you think.

The Tay Bridge #3
    40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 16mm. ISO100. 1/6@f22

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: The Tay Bridge #3

Nice detail and lots to explore! Another masterpiece from the Master!

Given the ratio of the subject I think you could easily go to a 2:1 if you so desired.

Viewer hint! If you have the screen real estate, after opening this image in Lytebox, click on the 'Expand' icon to see even more detail!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you Frank.

What I found fascinating is that when you do come to study a subject in close detail, such as this, you see those things that you never saw despite having driven past it hundreds, probably thousands, of times. For instance, if you look at the pier supports, you find that you can see 4 different 'styles'/designs.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Thank you Frank.

What I found fascinating is that when you do come to study a subject in close detail, such as this, you see those things that you never saw despite having driven past it hundreds, probably thousands, of times. For instance, if you look at the pier supports, you find that you can see 4 different 'styles'/designs.
    Yes, it was those four different styles of supports that I found so fascinating when I opened the image in Lytebox!

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

I like the way it leads out of the bottom corner and makes its way across the centre. It does keep the eye busy with the amount of changes in the bridge. Very nice.

Real Name
    Graham

Very elegant Donald. You could make a career photographing this bridge it is so large, in such a beautiful location and interesting.
    By the way is this the bridge built to replace the one that fell down in the 19th Century?
    Graham

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you, again, guys.

Graham -

Quote Originally Posted by gcowan View Post
    By the way is this the bridge built to replace the one that fell down in the 19th Century?
    Yep, if you click here (my first image of the bridge), you get the story as well as McGonagall's awful poem on the subject.

And if you look very closely at the one above (you need to get it as large as you can in the lightroom) - Go to what I call the second section from the left. Look behind the right-most couple of pier supports. You can see the foundation platforms for the piers that supported the bridge that collapsed. These are only visible when the tide is going down
    Last edited by Donald; 28th May 2012 at 05:42 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

I have a word I keep for top notch photographs and this is right up there......the word? ...exquisite!

Simple, elegant and I could look at it all day.

Real Name
    Paul

Donald, simple and beautiful. Very nicely done. When I first viewed it I did have the thought of flipping it horizontaly to have it lead in from the left but having a quick play I am unsure that it makes it any stronger.

As it is the strenght draws me in to look again and again.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks for the above couple of comments.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    When I first viewed it I did have the thought of flipping it horizontaly to have it lead in from the left but having a quick play I am unsure that it makes it any stronger.
    I, too, was conscious when I was shooting it that it was the 'wrong' way round. But if it was flipped then it wouldn't be recognisable to anyone who knows the scene. For something like this, I think you have to remain true to the scene in front of you and to flip it would be a post-processing step too far. For example, if I ever sought to sell it or display it an image of this bridge, then it would have to look as it actually does.

Real Name
    Paul

Absolutely...I agree Donald.