Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In conversation with ...... Mark (3Wheels)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with ...... Mark (3Wheels)

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

In conversation with ... Mark (3Wheels)

CiC: Thanks very much for taking the time to talk to us today.

Not a problem, I feel honoured that you want to talk to me.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history – anything interesting?

Worked at everything from Chef to banking, currently work for Lloyds. I worked at BP, Grangemouth, Scotland for 4 years building new receiving plant for the newly discovered North Sea Oil. During that time I got to know Scotland and have made time to go back and holiday every year.

And what about your family life?

Yep, I have a family and a life. I have been married to my wife for 27 years. We have 2 daughters and 2 grandsons with a 3rd grandson expected this August.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

My favourite book is the one I’m reading, “Mainly for Match Fishermen” by John R. Cope. The book was published in 1950 and cost two shillings and sixpence. Nylon fishing line had just come on the market. My all-time favourite film: The Train(1964), starring Burt Lancaster. My favourite food: steak and kidney pudding with roast potatoes and seasonal veg.

EDITOR'S PICK #1
    Ed's note - Although not a style that I practice myself, Mark is one of the best practitioner's in the making of images in this style. Lerwick Cemetery obviously has the Scottish connection, but I like that line and the 90 degree angle created by the path and fence running away from us and the wall of cemetery.

The Theatre Royal (below) is a perfect subject for the PP treatment, which for that approach, is, I think, wonderfully well done.

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

Fishing and more fishing. The rod and the camera take all of my spare time.

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

My mother always had a camera with her. I got my first camera in my early teens, nothing flash or expensive. It gave me a taste for catching the moment. It didn’t have much in the way of settings, I learnt to be inventive.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

I like all types of photography. I will try and capture everything that captures my interest.

Any particular photographic influences?

As a youngster, National Geographic magazines. The pictures in those magazines took me on amazing journeys without leaving the school library. I wish I could do that with my pictures.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

For me it’s about personal satisfaction and I haven’t achieved that yet.

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

If it isn’t broke why fix it. I really like CiC as it is. This reminds me of the Fleetwood Mac song:
    "Oh Well"

I can't help about the shape I'm in
    I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin
    But don't ask me what I think of you
    I might not give the answer that you want me to

Oh well

Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
    He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
    But don't ask me what I think of you
    I might not give the answer that you want me to"

Oh well

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

I have never used Photoshop. I still worry about my kids and now I worry about what the futures holds for my grandsons.

EDITOR'S PICK #2

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

I just own a Canon 450D and Canon 28-135mm zoom lens. I found that having tons of expensive gear didn’t equate to fantastic pictures.

Gimp

Hugin
    Photoscape
    Corel Paintshop
    Picturenaut
    SNS-HDR
    Essential HDR

As you can see most of the software is free, paid for Corel paintshop.

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

Average

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

I like reading everyone’s reply to this one. I personally think that HDR software and the technology to view it will have come of age. I feel that HDR software will be built into your camera. I also think that 3D photography will be the norm by then. I have been looking at my old pictures, I did use one in a mini comp and got favourable feedback and now looking to buy an old 35mm camera. I just feel digital cannot reproduce the depth of colour tones that a 35mm camera can. Maybe in 10yrs we will be offered more than sRGB or adobe RGB.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

I have helped and encouraged my own kids.

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

I do not consider a lot of paintings and sculptures to be art. I have seen a few pictures on CiC that I would hang on my walls at home. Art to me is about what connects emotionally with me – not what people tell me is or isn’t “Art”

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

Not a lot.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

It’s not about equipment it’s about what you capture.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.
    They are all special to me. I’ll leave you to pick something from http://www.flickr.com/photos/s_parky/.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

I’m a wheelchair abuser due to losing both my legs. I was diagnosed with cancer 17 months ago – the fight goes on.

That's all we have time for, Mark. Thank you for taking the time to talk to CiC.

Thank you for your time. I've enjoyed the whole experience.

Click here to access all previous interviews in this series
    Last edited by Donald; 6th August 2011 at 12:38 PM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: In conversation with ...... Mark (3Wheels)

Mark, thank you very much for sharing something about you to us here at CiC. I don't know what to say when I read about you at the last part of the interview when you shared about your cancer. I sure do hope that you will overcome this for you, your family, and your loving grandkids. I also believe in the same thing that it's not much about the equipment but more about the person taking the photograph and the images he envisions. Unfortunately, I still salivate on a Nikon D700 for myself in the future. Thank you very much again for sharing.

Real Name
    Bill S

Mark,

Another interesting read getting to know a fellow member a bit more. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I do have to say that I disagree with one thing you said... more gear is the most important thing in photography! hahah!

Anyway, thanks again for sharing. And here's hoping the future becomes something we don't have to worry about!

- Bill

Real Name
    Kay

Thank you Mark, I too enjoyed reading and getting to know a bit more about you. I am sad to hear of your recent diagnosis and wish you all the best with your treatment. I trust your grandsons will keep bringing joy to you and your wife and I know you won't stop worrying about them, but at least as grandparents you get to share the worry time with their parents.
    Some really interesting photographs on your flickr site as well.... I enjoy images where I see different things going on and that leave me wondering as well.
    -k

Real Name
    Mark

Good luck. I hope you overcome your illness and get to spend many more years fishing and snapping. All the best mate.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Mark

Hope your pleased with it.

Notts/Derbys border - some call it the M1
    Real Name
    Mark

First, Donald, thank you for making sense of my ramblings. I'm pleased with the end result and your choice of pictures.

Notts/Derbys border - some call it the M1
    Real Name
    Mark

Hi Willie, Bill, Kay and Mark, thank you for responding. Sorry for taking time in replying - 22nd was also my B'day. I didn't really share that much about me, I was stuck for words when put on the spot. I still lust after bigger and better equipment In my case I just know it aint going to improve things much. The cancer thing is part of my life and that's the reason I mentioned it. I was unable to have any sort of theopy and agreed to the cold surgical steel approach. The operation took a year to get over, and after a few very recent scares my last scans and tests show I'm still clean, it will be a few years yet before I'm pronounced clear. I'm getting back to normal and planning to go on holiday next week and buying some new (Whole lot of stuff my wife also says cost too much) fishing gear.

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Mark, thank you very much for sharing something about you to us here at CiC. I don't know what to say when I read about you at the last part of the interview when you shared about your cancer. I sure do hope that you will overcome this for you, your family, and your loving grandkids. I also believe in the same thing that it's not much about the equipment but more about the person taking the photograph and the images he envisions. Unfortunately, I still salivate on a Nikon D700 for myself in the future. Thank you very much again for sharing.

Real Name
    Chris

Well, I think all I can say is there really is something to perserverance, and the "just getting on with it" attitude you seem to have adopted in your life's somewhat arduous journey. I get the feeling you might have coined the current phrase, "it is, what it is." Safe travels through the rest of the journey, and good fishing!

Real Name
    Peter

It is good to see these sessions continuing. I do enjoy hearing something about other member here and I enjoyed your story and approach to life.

All the best and keep on shooting - not the fish.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Hey Mark,

An interesting read.. Wish you a speedy recovery... Cheers