Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: peek-a-roo

Real Name
    Ken Outch

peek-a-roo

We have these quite large 'mice' which hang around our place. They have become quite cheeky and we can get up very close to them now. They seem to know us and our vehicles and have lost their fear of us. Usual response is to totally ignore us as we pass by. This is good as it gives me a chance to try and capture their 'individuality' rather than the usual impersonal shot of just another roo on the move. For instance, my feeling on the first shot is that could it be thinking, " Hmmm. Leave it with me and I will get back to you. Okay?"
    So by now you are probably right to think that maybe I need special help or counselling; talking to the animals
    Cheers
    k

peek-a-roo

peek-a-roo

peek-a-roo

Re: peek-a-roo

Hi, Ken! I'm just in the few seconds before the rush to get the family out the door but I want to register that I really love #3. You're right, they do look like they have personalities and should all have little thought bubbles above them.

Pssst! I like your new avatar and your new signature is MUCH more cheery.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Not so keen on #2 as an image, but #1 and #3 are beauties.

On #1, I'd want to clone out that grass coming behind both sides of the upper body.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Not so keen on #2 as an image, but #1 and #3 are beauties.

On #1, I'd want to clone out that grass coming behind both sides of the upper body.
    Hi Donald
    Thanks for viewing and helpful advice. The body grass in #1 is something I should have dealt with before I posted it. Thank you for picking it up.
    And in response to your comment, in looking at image #2 again I can see that is pretty confused in its composition and seems to lack a prime focal subject. All over the place like a mad dog's dinner, as they say. Do you think it may have been better if the slightly out of focus roo on the left had been consigned to the stew pot and tighter cropping used to focus in on the other roo? Or the whole lot given away as a bad job?
    I think need to take more care and time in the processing stage before posting. So, I am back to the tutorials and a closer study of others' posts.
    Thank you for your help and support.
    Cheers
    Ken
    Last edited by ucci; 15th May 2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling slip ups

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Hi, Ken! I'm just in the few seconds before the rush to get the family out the door but I want to register that I really love #3. You're right, they do look like they have personalities and should all have little thought bubbles above them.

Pssst! I like your new avatar and your new signature is MUCH more cheery.

Hi Katy N
    Hope you got your family out the door okay and to where they had to be on time. Thank you for viewing and commenting.
    I am glad to know that maybe I am not as crazy as I thought I might be in thinking that these animals may have personalities. To me number 3 struck me as being quite indignant, ( " Do you mind!"), at me having the effrontery to actually aim a camera at him.
    Cheers
    Ken

I think, Ken, number 2 might work better with a substantial crop. I would try excluding everything except the roo on the right and get reasonably close to it.

You are right about animals having different personalities. When I was a commercial fisherman I would get gulls sitting on the foredeck and waiting for a bit of scrap fish. Each one had it's own personality.

And yes, I also talk to them although they don't always listen to my requests to adopt a particular pose.

But I think the ultimate, which made me question my sanity, was when photographing a hoverfly and I needed a particular angle to enable identification. Eventually I found myself saying 'Come on you little minx, show me a bit of your hind femur'. Now, I check to make sure that nobody else is listening.

Real Name
    Pops

I, too, would crop #2 to concentrate on the righthand animal. I love the expression.

Number 3 reminds me of "Does this new fall coat make my butt look too big?"

Pops

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I think, Ken, number 2 might work better with a substantial crop. I would try excluding everything except the roo on the right and get reasonably close to it.

You are right about animals having different personalities. When I was a commercial fisherman I would get gulls sitting on the foredeck and waiting for a bit of scrap fish. Each one had it's own personality.

And yes, I also talk to them although they don't always listen to my requests to adopt a particular pose.

But I think the ultimate, which made me question my sanity, was when photographing a hoverfly and I needed a particular angle to enable identification. Eventually I found myself saying 'Come on you little minx, show me a bit of your hind femur'. Now, I check to make sure that nobody else is listening.
    Hi Goeff
    Had a good chuckle and a huge sigh of relief to read that I am not only one who 'talks to the animals.' Thank you for your suggestion about cropping number 2. It definitely needs something done to it and it would seem that this could be a step in the right direction.
    cheers
    ken

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    I, too, would crop #2 to concentrate on the righthand animal. I love the expression.

Number 3 reminds me of "Does this new fall coat make my butt look too big?"

Pops
    Hi Pops
    Thank you for taking the time to check out my post and to offer sound advice on how #2 may be improved. Thank you for that.
    Liked your comment about the fat butt. Most appropriate. Roo's do tend to have rather large dress sizes in the rear end department!