Thread: My first photo to post on web.

Real Name
    Jim

My first photo to post on web.

Please give me pointers on improvement of my so called skills. Canon 7D Sigma 70-200mm non IS focal length 159.0 f2.8 My wife was driving when I saw this deer and had her stop. I shot this from the car. Deer was about 30 to 40 yards away. please let me know what you see where I can improve. thank you

deer.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donald; 14th May 2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Image posted inline

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: My first photo to post on web. Please give me pointers on improvement of my so ca

Jim

Let me be the first to say 'congratulations' and well done on going for it with your first ever posting of an image.

You'll see that I've put it into your post so that it can be seen at the proper size. If you follow the link to 'How can I post images' from the HELP/Rules button up above, it'll guide you through getting your images poster properly.

I'll shut up now and let others some in with comments on the image itself.

Real Name
    Jim

Re: My first photo to post on web. Please give me pointers on improvement of my so ca

Thank you for your response. I just hope I can get good enough like a lot of other folks on here. A lot of photos posted on here and I just look at them with awe and jaw hitting floor making me want to get so much better. Thanks for your kind words and no you don't need to shut up

Real Name
    John

Your "from the car" photographic skills are flawless. Nice image.

Real Name
    Matt

Fantastic shot. I'd only suggest you tweak the black a little. Other than that - I love this.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Great effort. I love it. I do agree fully with Matt's comment about the blacks. But that is just my opinion on what is only a personal preference.
    Ken

Real Name
    Jim

Thank you for your comments. When you say tweak my blacks, you mean bring in more blacks using the black slider in raw conversion?

Real Name
    Troy

I personally think it could do without the heavy white vignette, and maybe a tighter crop on the deer. Also, blacks look fine to me
    Did you sharpen at all? Looks like you either did not sharpen, or jpeg compression got the best of it. After all, 72 KB for an image of that size is far too small.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jim,

At the risk of feedback overload, I'll add my view

I agree the white vignette is a little too broad for my liking, but the main reason to respond is to say that I think it might have been a little better with the deer a little higher in the frame - i.e. a bit more of the legs visible and less space above the head.

That said, it is a very good first post, congratulations.

I wish I had a chauffeur (sp?) too

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....

Real Name
    Jim

I see what you all mean about the vignetting and too much space above the deer and not enough legs. I will go back and see what I can do. I did sharpen this photo and I can print out a 24 by 18 inch photo with no problem. Again thanks for all the responses and don't worry, my feelings will not get hurt with the responses.

Real Name
    Jim

I did sharpen cause I want a 24 by 18 inch photo for my wall. I did go overboard with the vignette. thanks for your response

Quote Originally Posted by pwnage101 View Post
    I personally think it could do without the heavy white vignette, and maybe a tighter crop on the deer. Also, blacks look fine to me
    Did you sharpen at all? Looks like you either did not sharpen, or jpeg compression got the best of it. After all, 72 KB for an image of that size is far too small.