Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with .......... Diane Darlow

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

Name: Diane Darlow (Di for short)
    Website: My life work website: http://www.jmin.org.za/index.html
    My photography website: http://flic.kr/p/9uozE5

CiC: Diane, thanks very much for taking the time to talk to us today.

It's a pleasure.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history – anything interesting?

Well, my life is certainly different to the run of the mill life. We share our home with 28 street people. I am passionate to see them back on their feet, sober and living a "normal" life (who is normal anyway?) As well as this I started a project to help the many Aids orphans who I saw turning to prostitution to feed their siblings, or dying because their parents didn't understand basic hygiene. We help them with education, nutrition, etc. We also help the people who look after them by organising income creation activities. (So we hope that they will get to a point where they can live independant of our help.)

And what about your family life?

I'm a mom of 3 adult kids and a granny. Growing up in a "mission" brought its own challenges to our children but just lately, our children have chosen to work for the ministry! Check out my blog - http://hdc1.wordpress.com/

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

This kind of night sounds idyllic! You guys don't know how blessed you are to not have 28 men wanting to talk to you in your "off" time; to have a say in what you eat and to have a salary! But I suppose I would read my photography course book, watch something delightfully uncomplicated and eat Chinese.

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

I love anything creative. When I am creating things I guess I feel close to the Creator. I paint. I prefer acrylic. A nice photo of my painting of Nelson Mandela is ...

I sew, wood carve - honestly anything creative. I have just completed a degree in social work (at 54) but because I feel incompetent in counselling, I am doing a further course in case work. I love being with my family too.

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

As a teenager I dabbled, but non digital photography cost too much. I bought a digital camera in October 2010, and my SLR in January. So its been only a few months.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

I haven't really made up my mind yet. I like landscape and macro but I love portraiture, I don't know why. (You will notice I don't mention wildlife - that's my husband's "thing" but I like being with him so do mostly wildlife shoots, and hope for lion kills, or angry elephants, or eagles swooping on their prey - anything to take away the boredom of another warthog!

I am very aware of the extra equipment that others use for portraiture. So I only take pictures of children (who can't crit too much!!!) Silly hey?

EDITOR'S PICK #1

Any particular photographic influences?

I just LOVE the World Photographic Organisation site. Some people become so predictable and you can see that a photo is theirs, so I love the variety of the WPO site. Some of my favourite CiC posts are from Mark (3 Wheels) and my favourite from the WPO site include James Chongs, Flavia and Persephone.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

Honestly at this point - Fun?! I would be lying if I said I want to get the plight of poor orphans better known or whatever - that's on the side. I just love the art and am happy to use it if possible. Maybe I'd be more focussed on altruistic reasons when I have become more casual to my "baby" (my camera.) "Professionally" I want to achieve portraits that stand out, and that the model believes captures the mood, their very essence and that they just love.

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I love CiC! It is refreshing to take part so often. CiC has many photographers that I admire and beginners so even I feel comfortable to give encouragement and crits. I, personally, would love a mentor, and wonder if some of the photographers at CiC would not be interested in advertising their own work, their openness to teach long distance and at what cost.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

I don't really fret about much. No time for that, but sleep is for those who don't do what they love for a living. I often work till 1 am. Now, work has to take TURNS with photoshop!

EDITOR'S PICK #2

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

I have a Canon SX20 and a 60D SLR. I only have a 18-55mm kit lens but "pinch" my hubby's 55-250mm sometimes. We bought a 2nd hand 100-400mm but it was damaged. I share a tripod with my husband and have made a beanbag. I have part of a 2nd hand CS2 photoshop. I often use Neat Image and Fileminimizer to get pics ready for CiC.

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

I am getting better with my SLR, but desire to do better with lighting. I am still trying to get to grips with how to use CS2. I understand only a few of the terms. I haven't even tried to shoot with RAW because I can't manage the program to do anything with them yet. Just give me a few more months. Watch this spot, folks!

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

It will be more capable of adapting to do what I want it to do, and I will definitely own one of the best and a couple of lenses.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

Help? Not unless they are just starting out, but encourage a big "Yes." I like to encourage, but only when its genuine.

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

Most definitely. I don't use photoshop well yet, so my art is very purist, but I am not against creative use of photography.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

I would only be a good model for a bulbous Michael Angelo type pic or character study! (I am fat and quite ugly) So I don't really like my photograph being taken.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Don't get disheartened by other's comments or because no one votes for your pics. We don't all like the same spouses so why should we like the same pics. Use crits to improve and remember, many people are like me. If I crit at all, I was interested in the pic in the first place. Those that are totally uninteresting or awful colouring, I leave alone. Take heart if others crit it may mean your pic is lovely and the tips are worth looking at.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

This is a photograph that inspires a peaceful feeling but it is taken of a train line going into the poor area where I work. I just see it as an analogy of the hope that I have for their future. This was my first photo on my point and shoot.

I think you can guess that this is my grandchild. This was my first ever chance to use an SLR.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

I have a tattoo saying - I'm only joking - no tattoos. More weird than my life? Well someone found it weird that we sold our home, stopped our lucrative business, and made ourselves 'destitute' so that we could rent a huge home and care for destitute people.

Diane, thank you for taking the time to talk to CiC. That, I think, has been an amazing story to read and best wishes for all that you continue to do.

I hope some of the forum members read and enjoy...!

Click here to access all previous interviews in this series

Real Name
    Steve

Re: In conversation with .......... Diane Darlow

Amazing story Di, thanks for sharing.
    I don't know how you find the time to eat let alone enjoy your creative hobbies.
    Perhaps we should all look at getting off the hamster wheel from time to time and doing something for others.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Wow Di, thats an awesome read. Really good to meet someone who is actually doing something big for the ones in need.
    Your interview reminded me of a Hindi song which talks about "Living for others is the actual Living"
    Will surely go through your blog as soon as I get time. Keep up the good work.

Real Name
    Chris

Well, I think Steve might have the right idea, but I also wonder how many of us could do what you have done...but, it is a calling which is only answered by those who hear the ring. Congratualtions to your perserverance, dedication, and love for your fellow man. You are a blessing to us all.

Living for other IS actual living, Sahil. I volunteered for a year after school, and I always longed to do so again. My friend has a great saying too. "to live simply that others may simply live" Don't you love it!

Real Name
    Steve

I think you have a very interesting life Di. For that matter you take some pretty good photo's and now I can understand one of your competition entries, 'My Country', which is remarkable.

rob marshall

Diane

Since I started these interviews last year (and since Donald has so ably taken over) I have found the content undiminished as time goes by. My original thought was that after a while we would simply 'run out' of interesting people to interview. How wrong I was. There has been a constant supply of interesting interviews that have shown how people, even on a small site like this, lead very different lives. I very much enjoyed your interview, and thank you for taking part.

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I think you have a very interesting life Di. For that matter you take some pretty good photo's and now I can understand one of your competition entries, 'My Country', which is remarkable.
    Thanks, Steve. I am due to go on leave at the end of the month and intend to enjoy my camera then. My brother is treating me to a trip to Canada - I cant wait!!! First time that I am leaving Africa's shores.

Real Name
    Paul

Great interview...... and Di, it takes a special person to do as you have done. I commend you. Sounds if you could not only use a bit of a vacation but deserve one. Have a great time in Canada, it is very beautiful and quite different to what you are accustomed.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Thank you very much for sharing some things about you, Diane. Now I understand (a little bit) why some of your shots resonates some deep emotions in them. Continue to touch a lot of other people's lives. Kind regards.

Real Name
    Marta Oliveira

From such an interesting person, there is nothing more to expect as a conversation / interview "super" interesting. Thanks, Diane Darlow, for sharing your experience, spontaneous sensibility and your fantastic "wired" attitude to life.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

OK Di, so now I know I live a hum drum existence!! I'm full of admiration.

Diane

You are an absolute treasure. Not many people can say they are really touching other people's lives in a way that you are doing. It can only imagine how these communities must feel when they experience and witness selfless devotion. It is not so much the fact that you may genuinely alter the course of some of these peoples lives - but to give hope and faith in humanity in a world that usually only takes is priceless.
    and quite ugly
    You can never be ugly Diane. Beauty is in our deeds not our looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Diane

It can only imagine how these communities must feel
    The sad part of South Africa is that many of our poorer communities have come to expect help (handouts), and our constant challenge is to make them aware of their own need to participate in the process. They seem to think the government is paying us to help them. What a laugh! Anyway, I took a peek at your website, Steve. I love your landscapes especially.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Darlow View Post
    My friend has a great saying too. "to live simply that others may simply live" Don't you love it!
    Absolutely, my dear friend
    Couldn't agree more. Wish I had the courage to do the same. Some day, may be...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I had the privilege of having seen this before the rest of you, so knew what was about to go up. Having a good sense of the profile of members on here, it was easy to imagine the impact that this interview would have and the sorts of responses it would elicit. And so it has proved.

Wonderful.

Real Name
    Igor Rus

When one see a nice photo it's common to react as WOW. Reading Diane's life story it would be impolite and simply inadequate to just say WOW. It's much more than that. It's LOVE in its most fundamental way of being. From which all of us can learn something. Although, there is still question - not where all this love comes from, because I could understand this, but instead where all the energy of this exceptional woman is coming from. Amazing.

I wish you Diane a lot of success in your work and lot of excitement with your photography hobby.