Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In conversation with ... manthos

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with ... manthos

In conversation with...

Giannis Manthos

CiC: Thanks very much for taking the time to talk to us today.

My pleasure...

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history – anything interesting?

There's not much to tell really. I'm 24 and haven't done many things yet apart from some part time jobs to keep me relatively independent. I'm now about to finish my studies in civil engineering. I have to say that I find it very interesting and I'm eager to back it up with some architectural knowledge too. I will definitely try something alternative if I am in a position to do so in the future. The modern way of building is all wrong in my opinion. It all goes down to this: bigger, taller, faster. It's a mirror of modern life and I prefer a slow-paced life closer to nature.

I also play classical guitar. At some point, when I was getting good at the guitar I played with the idea of taking it seriously and following it as a profession. I abandoned that idea after some thought. I felt it was better to play guitar for my own enjoyment and avoid all the stress and headache that would follow if I also made my living with it.

And what about your family life?

I'm only 24! Too young to get into this kind of stuff!

EDITOR'S PICK #1

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

You're joking right? That can't happen, I would do everything to escape and go out in search of a beautiful sunset.

If you say that I was forced to stay in (e.g. I was tied up or locked inside) then I would probably read an Albert Camus or a John Steinbeck book. Steinbeck is perfect company for a night inside.

For a meal I would choose home made pasta with a spicy sauce along with an ice cold beer.

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

I love jazz and classical music. J.S.Bach and John Coltrane are touching my soul. I love flamenco guitar and I wish I could be able to play. It's the Mediterranean thing...

I also like movies - I enjoy European film-makers, especially from Eastern Europe. Kusturica and Kieslowski for example.

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

I'm shooting for less than a year. The turning point was the spring of 2011 when my backyard was full of flowers blossoming. For some strange reason they 'forced' me to start shooting and I couldn't resist. For a full month I was out shooting everything in sight all day long.

After I was a little more comfortable with the camera, I decided to try something different. I headed to a local marina and was immersed into a whole new world. That's when I discovered that I like to shoot people.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

Shots where the human element is present or implied are the most appealing to me and I am always attracted to them. I like street photography and generally images with people. The last one may seem too general but it's true. For example, a landscape image with some figures in it is always more pleasing to the eye for me than a landscape with no figures.

I don't know why. I'm not the type of person that could dig deep into the unconscious and figure it all out.

Any particular photographic influences?

CiC is on top of the list. Some people here will never stop to inspire me. Fernando Cascais is one of them.

I also love the work of Cartier-Bresson and Doisneau. You see their images and you feel human again. It's a very powerful thing. Ok, that's a reason for the question above. I found one!

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

I hope, some time in the future, to improve the success rate of my photography, primarily for my own enjoyment. I like it when others feel something through my photographs, but I do this firstly to express myself and secondly to satisfy others.

Also, photography is, ideally, a means to a message. Delivering that message is another goal.

EDITOR'S PICK #2

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I have the best idea! An abbreviation dictionary! I see letters like IMO, GWIW and many others that I have absolutely no clue what they stand for. Some kind guys already explained what shift-8 means, so no clarification in this one is needed. (this is technically an abbreviation right?)

It would also be nice if we could jump directly to a member's CiC albums. Below his/her real name that appears in posts for example. Now they are somewhat hidden.

Apart from the dictionary that many would be grateful for, I can't think of something else that CiC is lacking. Nice people, knowledgeable, willing to share and help. What else could you need?

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Books. At least they used to...

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

I own a super-cool, extra-large, lightning-fast Sony Cybershot DSC-P92! I believe it's an antique now, a rare gem only for those who know.

Sarcasm aside, I have no problem with it so far except from the fact that I also need an XL pocket. There are times that I wish I had a better, faster camera because a few shots are never shot, but that's life... I can't afford a new one now. As long as I'm able to shoot I'm fine.

I use Photoshop Elements. It was a gift from a friend of mine. He bought Photoshop CS and was kind enough to give his old PP program to me. I know, I'm a lucky guy!

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

Pretty mediocre.

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

I don't know. All I can say is that they will be cheaper, as is the case with every piece of technology. The manufacturers will still want you to have the latest and the coolest but you will be able to buy a camera that has pro standards (today) in a consumer price. I think..

Yes, I will definitely have a camera in 2020.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

Apart from sharing my opinion and my experiences so far there is not much I could help with.

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

I seem to have a problem defining art... I tend to favor the idea that art is an entirely subjective thing. I would say that art is something that manages to transfer the vision of its creator to the viewer. Or the listener. For me, many paintings are not art. The same goes with music, and of course photography. That's because they don't say something to me. I may acknowledge the effort the creator has put into it, but that's as far as I can go. For someone else it might be art...

Since photography is a medium that offers the user the ability to share his vision with others, then it can be art.

I can't resist saying this - horse paintings are not art.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

Not bad but I don't know how to pose. It's the most difficult thing in the world.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Worry NOT about your gear! Things could be a lot worse than you could imagine.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

Photo No.1 "Alone":

Photo No.2 "Gathering (In Black and Gold) II":

These are two shots where everything seems just fine and works together. They are special because they are two of the first ones I made and two of the most successful in portraying the picture I had in my head.

They also represent the two ways that I prefer to treat my photographs. It is no colour or extreme colour! There can't be something in between.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

I eat raw garlic.

Giannos - Thank you for taking the time to participate and share your thoughts and ideas.

No, thank you! It was fun.

Read all the other interviews in the series by going to this link

Real Name
    Dora B

Re: In conversation with ... manthos

Hi Giannis,
    I think I already told you that am a big fan of your photos. It's always interesting to know a little more about the person behind the lens. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy Kusturica movies too, but how about Bregovic music?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Giannis,

Good to hear more about you.

You mentioned a couple of desires, let's see if I can help;

I have the best idea! An abbreviation dictionary! I see letters like IMO, GWIW and many others that I have absolutely no clue what they stand for. Some kind guys already explained what shift-8 means, so no clarification in this one is needed. (this is technically an abbreviation right?)
    This is a common request, I suppose our reluctance is borne of there already being so many good ones 'out there' on the web that to compile a new one here would take a lot of work unless you copy someone else's - which is not our way, or provide a self compiling one from members, we tried the latter recently, but it is just too spread out and lacking order to be useful and growth is very slow.

It doesn't help that most abbreviations/acronyms are only three characters long and you need four to make the search feature work here (else too many matches are found) - we did try adding the common ones, but it hasn't helped much.

IMO = In My Opinion (sometime IMHO - add Humble)
    GWIW is probably a typo for FWIW = For What It's Worth (stop making them up! this job is hard enough already )

It would also be nice if we could jump directly to a member's CiC albums. Below his/her real name that appears in posts for example. Now they are somewhat hidden.
    You are correct, it is slightly hidden, but actually only 2 or 3 clicks away when you know how, and answering this will provide that knowledge, for some at least.

From any post, click on the member's username on left and select the first option View Profile, in the page that opens, there is immediate access to a couple of albums on lower left side panel called Albums. If there isn't a panel called Albums, then they don't have any, and my guess is that applies to at least 2/3 of members. If a member has more than two albums, use the "More" link provided adjacent to Albums (you can practice on this reply, I have 4).

Another method to keep up to date with recent additions is (from second row of menu at head of any page), to click Community and select Albums (first in list).
    This gives two panels, on left; the 10 most "Recently Updated Albums" and on the right, access to your own. This is paged, links at bottom, so you can look through more. It also saves diving itno a profile to discover someone doesn't have an album, which is a wasted trip.

do you consider photography to be art?

I seem to have a problem defining art... I tend to favor the idea that art is an entirely subjective thing. I would say that art is something that manages to transfer the vision of its creator to the viewer. Or the listener. For me, many paintings are not art. The same goes with music, and of course photography. That's because they don't say something to me. I may acknowledge the effort the creator has put into it, but that's as far as I can go. For someone else it might be art...

Since photography is a medium that offers the user the ability to share his vision with others, then it can be art.

I can't resist saying this - horse paintings are not art.
    I can see how you have decided to apply a 'rule' that suits your criteria; that something is only art if it evokes a feeling, everything else is just skill (to give it a label and apease the equine fraternity)

However, I think for many people, that "transfer of vision" (or feeling), is very dependent upon the viewer, their background, their mood at the time of viewing, etc., not just the "artist" - does that mean something is art only to some people and to them only at certain times in their life? Also, think about family snaps - are they art to the people who know the subjects, but not to others? An interesting reply; well done.

I too enjoy Fernando's work - and yours.

I do envy your "get out and go" attitude, long may it last, at considerably more than double your age, mine all 'got up and went' many years ago

All the best,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 23rd October 2011 at 09:11 AM.

Real Name
    Peter

Nice interview Giannis and funny to hear how you started with photography, going from flowers to people in a relatively short period.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Giannis

I hope you like how this finally appeared. Thank you for taking part. It looks and reads wonderfully.

First of all, I'm sorry for the late reply everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by dulceza View Post
    Hi Giannis,
    I think I already told you that am a big fan of your photos. It's always interesting to know a little more about the person behind the lens. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy Kusturica movies too, but how about Bregovic music?
    Hi Dora, thanks for the kind words. Of course I like Bregovic!

Hi Dave and thanks for the detailed answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I can see how you have decided to apply a 'rule' that suits your criteria; that something is only art if it evokes a feeling, everything else is just skill (to give it a label and apease the equine fraternity)

However, I think for many people, that "transfer of vision" (or feeling), is very dependent upon the viewer, their background, their mood at the time of viewing, etc., not just the "artist" - does that mean something is art only to some people and to them only at certain times in their life? Also, think about family snaps - are they art to the people who know the subjects, but not to others? An interesting reply; well done.
    I understand that -for whatever reasons that are not appropriate to discuss now- there needs to be an objective definition of art in our society. Something like a label that informs the viewers beforehand of what they are going look at.The 'established objectiveness' is maintained by the art critics. I just say that this is not enough for me. I don't want to be forced to admit a piece of work as a piece of art just because a bunch of people have it already categorized. This inevitably leads to the issues that you mention above and makes art something very fluid and subject to constant change. The good thing is that -for me always- it helps view photographic work with a fresh eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    Nice interview Giannis and funny to hear how you started with photography, going from flowers to people in a relatively short period.
    Everybody has to start somewhere. That helped me very much to understand the rules and give me a boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Giannis

I hope you like how this finally appeared. Thank you for taking part. It looks and reads wonderfully.
    It looks nice. Thanks Donald for asking.