Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tubby.

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Tubby.

Any thoughts on how to get more out of this shot? I think the white tub took away from the bubbles in the bath. ie can't see the bubbles. I'd like to re-shoot it but the subject can be difficult. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Tubby.

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Tubby.

Creative picture. I dont know about bringing it closer and just focusing on the chrome part... Is that the camera strap hanging down next to the kid in the chrome? Id get that out of there.

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Actually it is! oops. I think clone tool can get it. TY!

Real Name
    Bill S

Michael,

That is a lot of dead space with that white tub wall. I don't know how practical any of these suggestions will be, but if you're going to retry the shot, here are some things I would try.

1. Move the baby closer to the chrome - you'll get more of his face in the reflection, and eliminate some of that dead space.
    2. If you really want the bubbles to be a main (albeit secondary) element to the photo, you need a ton more of them. Need big puffy bubbles. Unfortunately, I don't know a good way to make them. Honestly, though - I think the bubbles are not necessary as a key element. As the saying goes - decide what your main focus is, and eliminate everything else. So here, it looks like the reflection is the key element, so everything else should go. Focusing on what the bubbles are doing is just making your life more difficult.
    3. Wipe off the chrome right before the shot. Those two water droplets right by his mouth are incredibly distracting. Go for a nice clean reflection so we can see his face clearly.
    4. Deeper water. This is one of the bigger ones I don't know if it is practical. I know very little about child care, but I'm smart enough to not put an infant in water deep enough to cover them, and he looks like a "young-un". If it is doable though, it might help with your bubble problem.
    5. Been covered already, but Camera strap! Get that thing on your neck so if you need to grab Junior real quick, you can let the camera drop without worrying about it hitting the water (though it will probably bang off the tub wall). Then you don't have to worry about cloning it out either.

Hope some/all of these can help. Would definitely be interested in seeing the reshoot - it is a very interesting view. Nice job so far!

- Bill

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Hey Bill,

Tried this shot several times with your suggestions. However the subject has lost interest in his reflection in the chrome so it is rather difficult. I think I may need to let this one go.

Thanks,

Real Name
    Bill S

Give it a month or so and then try again, maybe it just needs to be forgotten for a while for it to pique his interest again. Good luck.

Real Name
    Derek Austin

You could try having another baby; OK a bit extreme!
    I do actually like the concept and would definately give it another go, I also agree that maybe you should move baby closed and cut out the too much bath.
    If you do have another bash, don't forget to share the result!
    Best wishes
    Derek.
    Last edited by Del773; 29th April 2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Poor spelling