Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bull fighter project

Real Name
    António Correia

Bull fighter project

For this year I plan to make a book on the bullfighting in Moita, Portugal by the end of the year.

As a matter of fact, I have never shot this, shall I call it activity ? sport or cruelty ?, but I want to do it just for the sake of photography.

To begin with I shot a bull fighter and here he is at my first post on this forum.
    I hope you like the pictures.
    C&C welcome. Thank you.

The pictures were shot with a Canon 20 D + ST-E2 + Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM + 430 EX with umbrella + 580 EXII with soft box. Thank you for watching.

Bull fighter project

Bull fighter project
    Last edited by Antonio Correia; 24th May 2008 at 12:02 AM.

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Re: Bull fighter project

Thanks for the posts. I really like the composition and play on texture in the first photo. I think the lighting in both seems a little dark, but that makes the catch light in the portrait eyes stand out more...so maybe that is the intended effect. Where was the flash umbrella placed? Straight on or at 45 degrees?

Real Name
    Adrian

Unusual subject matter. The images do seem a little subdued in tone. I like the expression on the face of the matador/picador/toreador (( am ignorant of the differences!).

May I make one further comment. Whilst I understand that you want to protect your images - perhaps you seek to sell them professionally - I find your copyright script very intrusive and it puts me off viewing your images. It seems a little over the top for a forum such as this.

I like the first picture ... ^_^ ... I don't know why. It just happens that I like that one ... Hope to see more pictures from you ... ^_^ ...

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by McQ View Post
    Thanks for the posts. I really like the composition and play on texture in the first photo. I think the lighting in both seems a little dark, but that makes the catch light in the portrait eyes stand out more...so maybe that is the intended effect. Where was the flash umbrella placed? Straight on or at 45 degrees?

Thank you for commenting.
    I like the pictures a little dark...
    May be you can watch this simples video and watch the position of the humbrella and the softbox.
    Video here please. Thank you.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Unusual subject matter. The images do seem a little subdued in tone. I like the expression on the face of the matador/picador/toreador (( am ignorant of the differences!).

May I make one further comment. Whilst I understand that you want to protect your images - perhaps you seek to sell them professionally - I find your copyright script very intrusive and it puts me off viewing your images. It seems a little over the top for a forum such as this.
    Adrian, let me tell you something: I don't like bull fighting myself. BUT, I do like photography.
    You see what I mean don't you ? I am doing this just for the photography not the bull fighting business. And this is why I don't know the differences between matador/picador/toreador and so forth.

I think that you were meaning the old watermark, not this one. Am I right ?
    I corrected it. Better now ?

Real Name
    António Correia

One more... no. Two more of the same session.

Bull fighter project Bull fighter project

Real Name
    Adrian

Antonio - I fear you misinterpreted my comments. I was not being critical of bullfighting, just exposing my own ignorance. This is a rather English was of expressing humour - often misunderstood. So I apologize.

I particularly like the image of the sleeve cuff.

And to answer your question, no, I was talking about the current copyright watermark. It is very large and it obscures key parts of the image. I understand why people do this commercially, but in a forum context I find it distracting and it tends to put me off bothering to view the image in anything other than a cursory way. However, this is merely a personal view and others may not mind it at all.

Kind regards

Adrian

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Antonio - I fear you misinterpreted my comments. I was not being critical of bullfighting, just exposing my own ignorance. This is a rather English was of expressing humour - often misunderstood. So I apologize.

I particularly like the image of the sleeve cuff.

And to answer your question, no, I was talking about the current copyright watermark. It is very large and it obscures key parts of the image. I understand why people do this commercially, but in a forum context I find it distracting and it tends to put me off bothering to view the image in anything other than a cursory way. However, this is merely a personal view and others may not mind it at all.

Kind regards

Adrian
    Adrian.
    Let me tell you that I have this rather unkind/rude way to speak and write. It is in me for many time and I have been trying for long to correct but I slip sometimes...
    But I am a nice guy.

After all it is normal that we have misunderstandings... I think your native language is English while mine is Portuguese. Our cultural basis are similar but there are certain differences however.
    I appreciate your comment about the watermark. I like you to tell me that is seems too large or too dense. I also think that sometimes it is too strong and sometimes it is not.
    I think I am going to change it to a more soft version.
    Just give me some time please.

However, I am sorry but I will only be able to post watermarked pictures because it is the way they are in my homepage.
    I am just a very concerned amateur with quite some good equipment which I try to use the best I can.
    Have you seen the video of the "production" ?

Oh and by the way: it is not a sleeve. It is in the leg

I understand your "vision"

Real Name
    Ian

First off may I say I really like the close up details shots, and the video is a very novel way of explaining your shoot to others; enjoyed that. Perhaps there are other shots from the shoot you might like to show? (Or do we have to buy the book?)

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    First off may I say I really like the close up details shots, and the video is a very novel way of explaining your shoot to others; enjoyed that. Perhaps there are other shots from the shoot you might like to show? (Or do we have to buy the book?)

Shreads, good morning. No, you don't have to buy the book. But if you wish ...
    Here I post some more, hopping you like them.
    Bull fighter project Bull fighter project
    In this photo I think he is too near the wall. I asked him then to move ahead.
    Bull fighter project
    I do have others but they are too similar to those I posted here.

Thank you for looking and commenting.

Real Name
    António Correia

I received a notification on this thread.
    But who posted it was sorry and erased. I got the text however which I paste here.
    I will not tell who wrote it. He shouldn't be sorry
    Last edited by Donald; 29th April 2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: With respect to Antonio - Mod decision to delete original posts. Copy deleted from here

Real Name
    António Correia

I don't like bullfights myself