Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Opinions, Please - Let the Good Times Roll

Real Name
    Chris

Opinions, Please - Let the Good Times Roll

Each year in my little burg, the local "whatevers" get together and hold their version of a Mardi Gras parade, party, etc. It wouldn't be so bad if the majority of them weren't screaming crazy rednecks...but alas, they are. I shot this guy as he awaited the start of the parade. Can't decide if I like the B&W version or the color version the most...so, ya'll get to vote. (Ya'll is redneck for any group of people numbering one or more.)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Opinions, Please - Let the Good Times Roll

That is, and HAS GOT TO BE, a B & W.

For me, the B & W is just oozing mood and atmosphere. The colour is nice, but ... just nice!

Real Name
    Janis

I'm with Donald, Chris.

So is there a lot of French history and heritage in your part of Florida? I know your state gets a lot of French Canadian snow geese, but it hadn't occurred to me that there was an indigenous French tradition.

Real Name
    Paul

I have to agree on the B&W call. As soon as I scrolled down I notice the smoke and expression on his face, The mood. Had to scroll back up thinking it was not the same photo. The B&W really talks to you.

Real Name
    Jeff Mollman

The black and white is awesome! It's just bursting with mood! I would rotate the shot clockwise just a bit to straighten up that pole but other than that it's perfect. I love the french title, although the le should be les. In french the article (le or the) has to agree in number with the subject (timeS) and the same applies to adjectives (bons rather than bon). Laissez les bons temps rouler! Toujours!

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmoll View Post
    The black and white is awesome! It's just bursting with mood! I would rotate the shot clockwise just a bit to straighten up that pole but other than that it's perfect. I love the french title, although the le should be les. In french the article (le or the) has to agree in number with the subject (timeS) and the same applies to adjectives (bons rather than bon). Laissez les bons temps rouler! Toujours!
    I cut and pasted it directly from Google on the New Orleans homepage...but, you are probably right...since they are far more Cajun and Creole than French.

And page has been rotated to align with buildings across the street..I could go into PS and play and may later..tonight, I was just trying to get a feel for both images. Thanks so much for the kind comments.

Real Name
    Jeff Mollman

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I cut and pasted it directly from Google on the New Orleans homepage...but, you are probably right...since they are far more Cajun and Creole than French.
    Ah, gotcha! Yeah, that probably is the difference. I've been around creole and it's basically like southern american english (duck)
    That would make sense though. I studied french for four years and then spent 6 weeks in France getting some language immersion.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    I'm with Donald, Chris.

So is there a lot of French history and heritage in your part of Florida? I know your state gets a lot of French Canadian snow geese, but it hadn't occurred to me that there was an indigenous French tradition.
    Well, it is more acquired than heriditary. It's the Plastic Fantastic version of the real thing...it makes them happy, so why not, eh?

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmoll View Post
    Ah, gotcha! Yeah, that probably is the difference. I've been around creole and it's basically like southern american english (duck)
    That would make sense though. I studied french for four years and then spent 6 weeks in France getting some language immersion.
    Laissez Laissez les bons temps rouler (French pronunciation: [lɛse le bɔ̃ tɑ̃ ʁule]) (alternatively Laissez le bon temps rouler, Laisser les bons temps rouler, and Laisser le bon temps rouler) is a Cajun French phrase literally translated from the English expression "Let the good times roll." It was originally attributed to the Cajuns, whose name comes from the French word "Acadiens," which refers to the residents of Acadia, the region in eastern Canada where their ancestors originally settled. The British expelled the Acadiens from Canada during the Great Upheaval in pre-colonial times, and many eventually settled in southcentral and southwestern Louisiana.

The phrase Laissez les bons temps rouler is unique to Louisiana and especially prominent in New Orleans -- a cheerful reminder of why New Orleans is also coined the "Big Easy." This phrase often comes up during Mardi Gras season, on local television, and radio.

Real Name
    Janis

So why not, eh?
    Indeed.

In any case, I think it might be said that everything is a "plastic fantastic" version of something else. What a great term. I think I'll use it. It's not copyrighted or anything, is it?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That is, and HAS GOT TO BE, a B & W.

For me, the B & W is just oozing mood and atmosphere. The colour is nice, but ... just nice!
    Same for me with the black and white and why didn't you send out invites?

Real Name
    Kathy

The black & white inspires more feeling for me. I do love B&W photos though.

so why not, eh?
    - sounds very Canadian to me. You have a toque and some maple syrup to go with that?

Real Name
    Kay

no argument from me - on the colour version the crowd compete with the subject - and yet with same dof in the b/w he grabs your attention and they fade away... very nice shot.

Real Name
    Chris

It originated in a Beatles song called Plastic Fantastic Lover...my brother adopted it and it became Plastic Fantanstic Surfboards, but that was a long time ago so I am sure you can adopt it to fit your needs as well. Enjoy!

Real Name
    Chris

We had a computer tech at school for a long time who was from Alberta. I swear he could not end a sentence that he didn't say "eh." Now, anythime I write to a Canadian, I find a way of putting an "eh" in at least one sentence, I think to find a reconnect to my friend (who is now back in Calgary).