Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Eye (mirror of the soul)

Real Name
    Peter

Eye (mirror of the soul)

This weekend I tried to get some good macro shots of my model's eye. Quite difficult to do I found out. At first I tried it with a Kiron 105mm macro lens, but focusing proved to be very difficult. I used a tripod of course (at first) and my model was sitting in a chair.
    The lack of relief makes it hard I think, or perhaps the lighting.
    Anyway, after looking at the pics I threw them away, all were a bit unsharp. Then I tried the Nikkor 18-200mm lens with a B&W 4x close-up filter attached (hand held by the way, autofocus is a great thing!).
    The result is below. Not big enough for my taste, but at least this one is sharp enough.

I didn't use flash BTW. It didn't improve the photo from this close and annoyed the hell out of my model.

Any suggestions on how to improve on this?

Eye (mirror of the soul)
    And yes, that is me reflected there and houses on the other side of the street. Eyes really reflect a lot.
    Last edited by Letrow; 24th January 2011 at 11:15 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Eye (mirror of the soul)

I've never taken a shot like, it is pretty interesting to see the detail in the iris. It's probably just me, but the blurry eyelashes on top seem out of place with the sharper ones on the bottom - of course due to different lengths. I wonder if a larger DOF would look better?

Hmmmm! I saw this, this morning, and thought that someone else would answer. I'm not really positive how to do this. I've admired other shots like this, before, though. I have shot reflective surfaces and I wonder if you could have less reflection by having the eyes looking at a blank, bright wall or, at least, not looking at something that is going to give such a serious reflection - blocking the detail that you want. Just thoughts - I'm not really sure, although, now, I'm wanting to go and try it.

Brian's comment about DOF is a good one, too.

Real Name
    Al

In addition to the previous comments, I suggest removing the red blood vessels from the sclera. Also, I think the shot might have benefited from longer periods of eye rest between shots; there's a hint of redness and oily-ness just below the eye that probably indicates eye fatigue and tearing. Use eyedrops?

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks for the comments. DOF is something I should look at definitely, but remember that I did these shots handheld, so there was some limitation on what I could do.
    On the red blood vessels I am not sure, they belong to the eye I think, so I leave them there (until I am able to make a photo of just the iris).
    On the eyedrops...the model had been studying hard for a week of examinations

Real Name
    Thierry

Impressive shot did you try a b&w conversion ?

Real Name
    Thierry

a quick b&w conversion. if you don't like it tell me and i will remove it

Eye (mirror of the soul)

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by tb72 View Post
    a quick b&w conversion. if you don't like it tell me and i will remove it

Eye (mirror of the soul)
    Don't mind at all. What's noticeable is that some of the detail in the iris is now less visible and my attention is now drawn more to the reflection that I see in the eye.
    I guess this weekend I have to try and get my model to pose again. I want to get closer, so I'll try the macro lens again if there is sufficient light.

Real Name
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    Don't mind at all. What's noticeable is that some of the detail in the iris is now less visible and my attention is now drawn more to the reflection that I see in the eye.
    I guess this weekend I have to try and get my model to pose again. I want to get closer, so I'll try the macro lens again if there is sufficient light.
    Thanks I appreciate that my test has been useful.

I think that starting from raw file or jpeg higher resolution, the result and impact of the b&w couls be even better.

Real Name
    Peter

Eye (mirror of the soul)

It works better with AF-S. My main subject was getting bored... This is my own eye, shot with on camera flash and SB 700 to right of camera. My only worry now is how bad flash is at these small distances. Don't want to get blind from doing this.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow
    My only worry now is how bad flash is at these small distances. Don't want to get blind from doing this.
    It's no worse that catching the sun's glint off a windscreen...momentarily blinding...what amazes me is that you could keep your eye open at the moment of the flash...at that distance, no small feeat. Nice color.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 20th February 2011 at 11:27 PM.