Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rainbow

The Rainbow

The RainbowPlease make allowances for the fact that I am still trying to work out the best way to post images to this forum I find posting from hosting sites requires twice the work than posting from my computer. The photograph in this post is a two shot stitch hand held with minimal correction work carried out in photoshop
    Last edited by john w revie; 25th January 2009 at 09:40 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: The Rainbow

Hi John,

That's a nice rainbow shot - well done.

It reminds me of one I shot last mothers day - I needed a 14mm lens on a FF camera - and the shot here is with NO cropping (although I have stretched the horizontal to give me my preferred 2:1 aspect ratio:

The Rainbow

"Please make allowances for the fact that I am still trying to work out the best way to post images to this forum I find posting from hosting sites requires twice the work than posting from my computer."

There are advantages and disadvantages to hosting it here, or elsewhere on the net. It's easier to host it here, but storage space is rationed for each user - and if you're posting a lot of images then you'll probably find that it runs out quite quickly. And of course as you point out, hosting elsewhere on the net does take more effort.

I recently switched to pbase.com - paid them a wee bit of money - and am now "good to go" for a few hundred MB, which should keep me going for a while. Personally, I'm hoping that people are able to keep images in a stable location for as long as possible so that the images continue to display here.

Cheers,

Colin - pbase.com/cjsouthern

I like it. Where was it taken?
    I would prefer to post from my own web site( http://web.mac.com/jwrevie/ ) but I can't workout how to do it in this forum.

Real Name

"I like it. Where was it taken?"

Thanks John, it was a totally spontanious shot taken from outside of where I work here in Nelson, New Zealand. It had been raining and I'd just got the call to go pickup the family from one of the local stores - walked outside to get in the car and there it was. I know it wouldn't last long so grabbed the camera with my 16-35mm/F2.8L on - found the image wouldn't fit - changed to my 14mm/F2.8L and got the shot.

I gave it to the local paper to run and had about a dozen calls about it, with a few wanting prints of their own. A couple of the calls were quite sad - one lady was attending her husbands funeral, and another was commemorating (is that the right word?) the death of one of her children - and said that on this day (mothers day) every year since he died, something like this has happened - so it became a rather special shot for a number of people.

"I would prefer to post from my own web site( http://web.mac.com/jwrevie/ ) but I can't workout how to do it in this forum. "

It should be quite straight forward, but I've struggled to give clear directions to other Mac users because I'm not familiar with how to do things in the Mac world ... but in the PC world I do it like this ...

1. Display the image on your site in a browser window.

2. Right-Click on the image (or whatever you have to do to bring up a menu), and click "properties"

3. On a windows box a property sheet then pops up - and included in that is the full URL to where that image is currently hosted. Select that and copy it to the clipboard.

4. Compose your post or reply here - click the insert image button - and paste the URL from the clipboard into the box that pops up. Click OK, and a few seconds later you should see the image.

From there I usually right-arrow to advance the cursor - hit return - and carry on writing if appropriate.

I just went to your gallery - and followed my above procedure to post your waterfall image into a test post (which I then abandoned) - and it worked just fine. The "trick" seems to be bringing up the property sheet for the image that contains the URL on a Mac system, but afraid that I can't help with that, being a PC man. On some sites you can simply copy/paste the URL in the address bar when displaying the image, but with some sites like photo.net this doesn't work as the URL is actually a link to a page containing the image, not the image itself, and the system here doesn't know how to handle that.

Perhaps have another go, and let me know if we need to rack our brains some more over this? I was tearing my hair out trying to do this a few weeks ago, but now that I understand what's happening it's actually dead easy when you get the hang of it - and it keeps bandwidth useage down for this site, which must ultimately be a good thing.

Cheers,

The Rainbow
    Thank Colin that work just fine
    PS love your Town hope to get back some day.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by john w revie View Post
    Please make allowances for the fact that I am still trying to work out the best way to post images to this forum I find posting from hosting sites requires twice the work than posting from my computer. The photograph in this post is a two shot stitch hand held with minimal correction work carried out in photoshop
    Thats a superb rainbow shot and framing the castle and mound perfectly. Slightly less obviously the said mound and castle are beautifully lit by the shaft of sunlight at the perimeter of which the rainbow forms and beyond that the darker sky.

Luck boy to be there at the right time, also to live in Ardfern, have had 2 very pleasant visits there in the past and great fan of the west coast in general

Thanks for the comment Criss where you at Ardfern for the sailing?

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by john w revie View Post
    Thanks for the comment Criss where you at Ardfern for the sailing?
    The 1st visit was with a group that chartered a boat & we made it over to Shuna (I think) after an "interesting" passage around one of the points. My best contribution to sailing is keeping out of the way, on that occasion catching mackerel using milk carton slides. Gruuu 1971 just before our youngest was born. We often stay around Crinan and cycle (I know the flattest part of the highlands when I see it) and went around Ardfern to Craignish point a year or 2 back.

The signatures have gone walkies; I am Chris and have several west coast galleries at
    http://www.pbase.com/crisscross/scotland1 and adjacent

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post

It should be quite straight forward, but I've struggled to give clear directions to other Mac users because I'm not familiar with how to do things in the Mac world ... but in the PC world I do it like this ...

2. Right-Click on the image (or whatever you have to do to bring up a menu), and click "properties"

3. On a windows box a property sheet then pops up - and included in that is the full URL to where that image is currently hosted. Select that and copy it to the clipboard.

4. Compose your post or reply here - click the insert image button - and paste the URL from the clipboard into the box that pops up. Click OK, and a few seconds later you should see the image.

From there I usually right-arrow to advance the cursor - hit return - and carry on writing if appropriate.

part 1 to get the "PROPERTIES" on a mac, you control-click and a drop down menu appears with properties at the bottom, so far so good

part 2 if this is any better than a page URL, you should get an overclose view of one of my friends here:The Rainbow

Yeah, and isn't she gorgeous?

Real Name

"part 2 if this is any better than a page URL, you should get an overclose view of one of my friends here:"

Hi Chris,

I think you've struck the same problem that I did at pbase - I'm willing to bet that you can see that picture, but we all can't (I can't see it).

What I found was pbase seem to do it differently - if you follow the procedure I outlined for John it only works on for the machine of the person creating the post (probably something to do with security). On pbase you need to click "Edit Image", and in the tip right-hand corner the system gives a URL that you can copy to the clipboard ...

... and when you paste it to the insert image form you can also edit the "medium" word at the end to either "large" or "original" if you want bigger versions to be available.

Cheers,

Real Name

"Thank Colin that work just fine"

You're welcome John - glad you got it working.

"PS love your Town hope to get back some day."

Thank you - I feel like it's a nice safe place to be these days. When where you here?

Cheers,

Colin

Real Name
    Chris

I didn't think it was possible to get more confused over this business and that having found my way to the original data-base code, it sorted it not invisibilised it
    So not sure if this any better?
    The Rainbow

BTW we are making an awful mess of John's rainbow, so maybe a mod can split it off to a new thread

Real Name

Hi Chris,

The that last post showed up just fine - so looks like you've got that sorted.

We possibly need a "cheat sheet" to help people post inline, taking into account the different hosting site requirements and different browsers and platforms.

I agree that the thread has started to drift a little, but "John's Rainbow" and "helping John post inline" are a bit too inter-twined for me to sort and split easily - so I'll have to leave this one for Sean to do, if he feels it's needed.

Cheers,

Colin

Love the pig Criss.
    Colin we were last in Nelson april 2004 on honeymoon we got hitched in Christchurch.

renaming the thread is ok by me Good idea
    john.

Real Name
    Daniel

Hi Chris and Colin, I'm also trying to post including the image. I've a .mac web site and I can't get to include the the picture, I've already selected the option "copy image address" after cmd click and I thinks that doesn't work:

The Rainbow

Also the option edit is not given so I don't know how to solve it.

Could you help me?

Cheers,
    Daniel
    Last edited by Daniel Salazar; 25th January 2009 at 06:27 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

seems to have worked fine Daniel, picture there large and clear

BTW for the 'properties' URL for images, its CONTROL click (as when choosing what to do with attachments in Mail). But am not quite sure why Colin was heading us that way as it didn't work. I couldn't justify cost of .mac when I retired, so not familiar with how it works now.

Real Name
    Daniel

I just saw it! it works.
    Thanks!
    I was alway having problems attaching pictures, however like this I think is better.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    BTW for the 'properties' URL for images, its CONTROL click (as when choosing what to do with attachments in Mail). But am not quite sure why Colin was heading us that way as it didn't work.
    Hi Chris,

I must admit to being a little confused as to what you're referring to - I'm not a Mac man, so it was someone else who chipped in with the control-click (although possibly I repeated it some time later) - my "steering" was that - for many sites (pbase being the one exception that I know about so far) - it seems necessary to use the URL contained in the image property sheet rather than the URL of the page the image is on (which can be a page with an embedded image rather than just the image itself, which doesn't work).

It seems like this is going to be a common request, so I'll try to make up a help document that we can update with info on posting inline from various sites and platforms.

Update: Off memory, I think it was pbase that you tried it on and had the trouble (correct me if I'm wrong). For some reason the "usual way" for pbase only works for the gallery owner, but thankfully they provide the required URL in the top right-hand corner when you click "Edit Image", although it always seems to default to medium.jpg, which can be overtyped to read large.jpg or original.jpg
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 25th January 2009 at 09:39 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post

Cheers,

Hi Colin, I did say 'control click' on a mac is equivalent to right click on PC and that it does indeed bring up 'properties'. The trouble is that as you say doing it this way from pbase only brings pic onto owners screen, which we also demoed above with my piggy pic

For info - mac have never gone for 2/3 button mouse & mac equivalents of cross-platform progs have used the left (or single button) + modifier key when prog called for right. They have moved nearer to admitting existence of 2 button mice recently & you can now program RH key via the OS, whereas previously I did it through Kensington software. Scroll wheel scrolling has been accessible since I think OS10.3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast