Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I Never Tire of Sunsets..:)

Real Name
    Rachel

I Never Tire of Sunsets..:)

I was trying for the first time to capture the golden sun on the trees just before sunset..

then I walked to the waterfront and caught the real show! Comments and critiques welcome

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: I Never Tire of Sunsets..:)

Both are very nice. Each image can tell its own story. I think you did a very good job on both, Rachel.

Real Name
    Rachel

thank you, I take that as high praise considering the quality of your photos.... I've been working pretty hard on my composition, and today mother nature co-operated with some beautiful light

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Rachel

I'll go with Willie's comments on those two.

On the first one, what I think is good is the fact that, from what you write, this was a planned shot. You decided that you wanted to catch the sunlight on the trees ... and you did. And it's that element of planning, which is not the , 'I was wandering around and happened to notice this and thought it might be quite nice' approach to image-making that is moving you up and along the learning curve. So, well done.

On the second one - Is that a location to which you can return easily? Looks like it could offer some tremendous opportunity for sunsets. Although, like me, you are quite far north and the position of sunset will vary widely throughout the year.

You should download, for free, The Photographers Ephemeris that's recently been the subject of discussion in these threads here and here. It's a very clever little tool that tells you where sunset, sunrise, moonset and moonrise will be from any position on the planet that you key in, on any day of the year. That way, you can track exactly where sunset will be on any day of the year from that spot on which you were standing.

Real Name
    Rachel

Thank you Donald, I appreciate that feedback very much!
    This stretch of waterfront is 3 blocks from my apartment, so I can return often... it's different every day...
    The threads you suggested are fantastic as well, I will be sure to use them!