Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Wall and Two Trees 2

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

A Wall and Two Trees 2

So, for the legions who wondered what was over the other side of the wall in this, the answer is ...........

A Wall and Two Trees 2
    40D, 70-200L f4 IS @ 169mm. ISO100. 1/10@f11. Manual. 10:02am

The left hand tree in this is the farthest away tree in 'A Wall and Two Trees 1'.

Re: A Wall and Two Trees 2

Gasp! I want to be there!

Donald, I LOVE the B&W "colors", here. The sky is gorgeous! I, also, just love the texture of the wall. It's all so crisp and clear and..... just so snowy (maybe, it's that "color" that the air and light takes on when there's snow on the ground.)

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Well done, Donald. Very artistic. I like it.

Real Name
    Kay

Very very nice.....But now of course I want to know what's just down the hill on the right side.....How does that add go?
    .......Just keep Walking....

It's a girl thing - we always want more

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Very very nice.....But now of course I want to know what's just down the hill on the right side....
    For that, you've got to go back to A Wall and Two Trees 2this. We're looking in the same direction, with the wall and those trees off to the left.

I have a very limited territorial range - which means I don't get a lot of exercise. But at least I'm trying to get the best out of a very small geographical area!
    Last edited by Donald; 4th January 2011 at 09:20 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

Donald,

These are all very good, love the curve of the wall leading through the frame and the contrast between the elements.

Peter

Real Name
    Wendy

Of the 3 posted so far I like this the best. The curving lines of the fence fading off over the hill and the trees in exactly the right spots. It really is all abaout the composition and keeping is simple. I just love it.

Wendy

Real Name
    Raylee

Donald

You are the master of making do with your available territory! The curve of the wall and the incline of the hill are wonderful. And the branches against the sky are great.

Tiny, weeny comment: I'm losing the left hand tree in the wall. They blend into each other and I lose the structure of the tree trunk and lower branches. Maybe a slightly lower angle to put more of the tree against the sky?

I'd like to see more of your scenic home town please. It makes suburbia look so dull.

Definitely the best of the three. Another superb example of spotting natural composition. This is not an easy skill to aquire and all of us should closely examine how Donald has turned a relatively mundane subject into something that is rather special.

I have a very limited territorial range - which means I don't get a lot of exercise
    If I had known you were a hamster I would have brought you some sunflower seeds If execise is a problem we could club together and get you a big wheel to run round in

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you, again, for your comments.

I've known, ever since I got the 40D 2 years ago, that there was a picture to be made of this view. But I could never get the right spot.

This year, for the first time ever and with thick snow on the ground, the farmer has no stock in the field at the side of road across from this view and access is easy. So, it was just a gentle walk up from the road (probably about 50 - 100 ft higher than the view I would normally have from the road) that gave me exactly the scene that I was after. Again, I'd seen this the day before when out with the dog we've been looking after.

Real Name
    Tommy

I absolutely love this Donald! It's beautiful!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    Tiny, weeny comment: I'm losing the left hand tree in the wall. They blend into each other and I lose the structure of the tree trunk and lower branches. Maybe a slightly lower angle to put more of the tree against the sky?
    Headline - 'Lady spots dilemma faced by photographer'

Raylee - You're absolutely right. It was one that had me going up and down like a yo-yo. Even kneeling in the snow and getting frozen. I felt it needed to be lower to get the tree 'out' from the wall, but by doing so I was losing the line of the wall going round and up past that first tree and curving round to the right. So this was, what I thought, the best compromise.
    Last edited by Donald; 4th January 2011 at 11:19 PM.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Headline - 'Lady spots dilemma faced by photographer'

Raylee - your absolutely right. It was one that had me going up and down like a yo-yo. Even kneeling in the snow and getting frozen. I felt it needed to be lower to get the tree 'out' from the wall, but by doing so I was losing the line of the wall going round and up past that first tree and curving round to the right. So this was, what I thought, the best compromise.
    A conundrum in other words