Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Wall and Two Trees 1

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

A Wall and Two Trees 1

Head now clearing after New Year celebrations.

Out and about and had, I think, a good day. Think I've got three that are worth doing something with. This is the first of them.

Interestingly, I was writing in a thread yesterday about trying to restrict myself to one of 3 aspect ratios. And immediately I break my own rule. Hey ho!

A Wall and Two Trees 1
    40D, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS @ 47mm. ISO100. 1/15@f11. Manual. 2-stop GND. 10:38am

Always keen to hear your thoughts

Re: A Wall and Two Trees 1

I just love it! What a beautiful tree!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Very nice. It seems to me that you are concentrating on B&W photography, Donald. That is a feat and I like that.

You capture our dull and gloomy land perfectly Donald. I do not just see it I can feel and sniff those winter scents.

Real Name
    Wendy

Nothing like breaking the rules to start the new year right
    As always, I just love this shot Donald, looks perfect to me and somthing I wish I had taken myself. I really must try to think in B&W next time I go for my walk. Not that I'll get anywhere close to this, but B&W seems the perfect choice for this type of shot.

Wendy

Real Name
    Raylee

I love the way you have placed the subject matter in the lower third. The misty background makes me wonder about what is beyond (not little green men type beyond as in another thread). I'm definitely wondering what is on the other side the wall - what else is there to see? There's a nice moodiness to this shot as well as sense of calm. Is that paradoxical?

Good work yet again Donald

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Simple but beautiful, Donald. Great composition and I love the extra sky with its grey clouds that you have included. And that wee stone wall that leads the eye just so....down the ridge line, through the bottom of the tree and out of the image via the shadow. Very peaceful and very cooling. (She said, as she sweats at 34C.)

Real Name
    Kay

Lovely Donald!...I too am imagining what is just over the hill....perhaps this is Dunsinane Wood?
    ..probably not really a wood with only 2 trees, but what's in a name

Real Name
    Tommy

I absolutely love the bottom half of the picture... I just can't quite make my mind up on the aspect ratio and the featureless sky.

I keep switching between loving it as it is, and cropping it just above the trees

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Donald,

It certainly leaves you wondering what is on the other side. Love the tree. Do you do most of B&W in ACR or in PCS or both? I am glad someone else uses that lens (17-85). Are you happy with it for LANDSCAPES?? May be I should use mine more often.

Happy new year. Remember rules are there to be broken

Nasseem

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Nasseem
    Quote Originally Posted by maloufn View Post
    It certainly leaves you wondering what is on the other side. Love the tree. Do you do most of B&W in ACR or in PCS or both?
    Neither.

I do my processing with DxO Optics Pro 6 (v6.5.1) with DxO FilmPackv2 installed. All my conversion to B & W takes place in DxO. I then import the file into the GIMP for finishing off.

I am glad someone else uses that lens (17-85). Are you happy with it for LANDSCAPES?? May be I should use mine more often.
    Yes I am. When I see this image and some others that I have taken with it (including one that Rob printed for me to quite a large size), I am perfectly happy with it. For some time I have been lusting after a Canon 24-70L f2.8. I knew I didn't need it, but I wanted it. But the price had just gone up (from my usual supplier) by almost 8% + we have an increase in sales tax coming in on Wednesday, so it is now out of my reach.

But, as I say, that was sheer greed NOT need. So, I've wiped it out of my mind and will content myself with the 17-85, which is more than adequate for my needs.

It means I can now think of getting the lens collar for my 70-200, and also a flashgun.
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd January 2011 at 01:55 PM.

Real Name
    Thierry

Good shot well managed with an adequate post processing to transcript the ambiance

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and observations.

And for those who wondered what is on the other side of the wall/hill, tune-in, probably tomorrow (or later today if you are just waking up in Australia/New Zealand/China, etc), for the exciting sequel - 'A Wall and Two Trees 2'

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

DXO OPtics pro means nothing to me. It certainly works. Does it do a better job than ACR and PCS is the question??
    I am glad you like the 17-85 but as is the case with you I have alyas lusted over the 16-35 or the 24-70 Canon Lenses. It might just have to do for the time being.

Thanks Don

Nasseem

Real Name
    Bill

Lovely comp and processing Donald, A pleasure to view

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

DXO OPtics pro means nothing to me. It certainly works. Does it do a better job than ACR and PCS is the question??
    Nasseem

I think the majority of serious users on here would say 'No'. I would say 'Yes'. But since I haven't used ACR that would be just me defending what I do use.

At the end of the day, it becomes a matter of personal/subjective choice. Yes, there are objective analyses that can be made, but I'm not sure there is much point to that, as those who prefer (or use) one will argue that their favourite product can do things the other one cannot do.

So, I do not think there is an answer to the question -'Can one do a better job than the other?' Both can do a job very well.

As to your point that DxO means nothing to you, this is the link to their website. It is a French product ... which also makes it appealing to a Francophile!
    Last edited by Donald; 8th January 2011 at 04:57 PM.