Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nandina

Real Name
    Chris

Nandina

Just working on shooting correctly and setting my white point in PP. I need a much darker and thicker backdrop.

Nandina
    Last edited by MiniChris; 3rd January 2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Nandina

Good! Just very good!

Real Name
    Chris

Thank you.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

HI Chris,

Looking at this, if you were wanting just the plant against (image) black (i.e. 'nothingness' black), I think you need to not have it lit so well.

That would seem to be quite difficult as shown here, the only option I can think of is to angle it (significantly) further from subect at bottom. So the surface is in shade and the plant's shadow falls on the ground infront of the bottom edge of background but under the top edge. That would need a much larger sheet and a means to stop it sagging down into the light.

A more controlled set up, artificially lit, is probably a better way to go, but that kind of thing is easy for me to say

That said, the crop above with the shadow is quite appealing

Real Name
    Chris

It was one of those moments when you walk up your drive as the sun is setting and you see the shot, but there isn't a decent backdrop....so you run into the house and literaly grab the first piece of black cloth you can get your hands on, beg a neighbor to hold it, and shoot...all in less than a five minute period.
    I do plan to reshoot it later this week when I can build a better backdrop piece that doesn't require a neighbor and take more time doing some serious camera adjustments.
    The light is the sun, and it is as it is...though, I am thinking I might scrim it a bit to lower the contrast.
    Mostly, what I was attempting with this was to see how good I could do with a RAW file and a new program. It seems the more technology, the harder it is to get a screamingly good image - but, at the same time, it is such a wonderful challenge as to not to give it the old college try.
    I appreciate you comments and have been out to it every afternoon looking at how to meet the challenge of lighting this properly in its natural environment without getting that very studio light look.

Real Name
    Gary

You can use an off-camera-flash (go here for more information).

A smaller aperture, coupled with a flash held off to the side, will help darken the background. (You could shoot when the subject is in complete shade). As would getting more distance between the subject and background. I am just learning the use of off-camera-flash. There is more than enough info at Strobist.com...