Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Music makes the world go around.

Real Name
    Rebecca

Music makes the world go around.

Okay, so i am new here - I am the daughter of wirefox and I have an extreme passion for photography, just like my dad. I take picture wherever and whenever I have time. Constructive criticism is welcome as I can only get better and practice makes perfect!

So, this is a photograph I took for a competition, the theme was music and fashion. Tell me what you think?

Music makes the world go around.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Music makes the world go around.

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalouisephotography View Post
    I am the daughter of wirefox
    I am sorry. You poor child.

and I have an extreme passion for photography, just like my dad
    And already you're showing us that you're going to make us think (which is what it should be about|), just like him as well.

At first I didn't get or appreciate the '2 - in - 1' approach you'd taken. But then ... Music. Black on White : White on Black. Keyboard. Now if this was not your thinking then I'm going to look stupid (Dad - don't say anything!), but it made sense to me.

So - Imagination & Creativity and relevance to subject/commission/competition: Score 10!

I love what you've done and your set up. The one thing that jars for me is the way you've treated the skin in each. It's very different. In the top segment, it's silk-like: soft. In the lower segment, it's harder. More stark. I find this 'conflict' a bit unsettling. It creates a separation between the two parts rather than helping to join them up. But maybe that's what you were wanting to do.

But, what a start to your life as a CIC'er.

Real Name
    Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I am sorry. You poor child.
    Hahaha, he is awesome really! Once you get past the sarcasm and sense of humor, we get along well as we are very alike!

I was trying to portray the different tastes in music and how it does not matter what or who we like, as we are all the same person and should not be stereotyped due to our tast in music.
    Thanks for the advice, I haven't had much expirience in portraits - but like i say practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalouisephotography View Post
    I am the daughter of wirefox...
    Eh, well lass, someone has ter keep ut old daft bugger in order... Did I get the North-of-Watford-speak right? No, maybe not.

Welcome to CiC! We are very pleased to have you here.

I like shot#1. It reminds me of one of those tableau vivant pieces that upper-class nobs would act out in posh drawing-rooms, dressed as Greek Godesses etc. Good lighting, but a little bright on the front of the dress. Nice pose, and I recognise those headphones.

#2 is a little too forced for me in the composition. It needs to look a little more relaxed and natural. I think I would have left off the bangle - it looks too modern.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Real Name
    Rebecca

Thanks Rob, I shall take your advice into consideration for future projects

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me, great to have you join us, possibly the first family double-act

Not sure my views are going to count for much; I tend to get too hung up on the technicalities and miss the overall intent

Also forgive me if I ask for too much - e.g. facilities beyond those available at the time, I'm just saying how I think they images might have been improved, which is what you asked for, however unrealistic that was.

Well here goes anyway;
    In the top (white dress) half; I think a rim light for the hair to separate it from the background would have been beneficial.

It is possible also that some detail has been lost in PP in the hair, possibly as a result of trying to keep the background as dark as feasible - I therefore wonder if copying the foreground onto another layer to allow one layer to be PP'd for the model, dress and hair and the other for the background might have yielded a better result?

The same comment probably holds true for the black dress (lower) half of the image, additionally, this half looks noticeably softer than the top half.

I like the pose personally, but I can't make up my mind whether a stronger shadow would be better - if on separate layers, you could play around with that in PP to experiment.

Overall, I'd like to have seen the picture bigger and sharper.

The bangle/bracelet Rob mentions does follow the 'Black and White' theme that Donald noticed, and apart from the model, is the only link between the two shots. Rob may have a point though and I wonder if an alternative bracelet of an older style, but still keeping the B&W theme going might have provided an answer.

Hope that's helpful,

Real Name
    Rebecca

Thanks for that,
    I do see what people mean and i will defiantly take it into account. This was my first time mainly shooting a person and I didn't quiet know what to expect, but for further projects when shooting people I will stick to what you all said.

All you people are lovely, glad I joined as I will defiantly get some good techniques of here!
    Thank you again.

Like Dave said, I would have preferred a slightly stronger shadow in the second image, or alternatively no shadow.

But in all honesty, these are all very minor points in what are two excellent photos.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Rebecca,

Wirefox, Wirevixen and now Wirepup. Welcome to CiC.

I like to opposing poses in the two shots - it form an S-shape within the whole image that links nicely. I won’t repeat other comments but I find the bangle in both images competing as a third element to the mask with headphones in one and violin in the other. Personally I would lose the bangle in both. Less is more.

But really well done.