Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Panoramic print gets truncated in LR3, only prints in 'draft' from PS CS5

Real Name
    Adrian Asher

Panoramic print gets truncated in LR3, only prints in 'draft' from PS CS5

Hi there, I'd hoped to make my first 'real' post a useful contribution but I've given up with a particular printing problem and need help

I have a panorama that is 12190x3216 pixels, I have been trying to get a 12"x44" print using my HP B9180, which is capable of producing text prints of this lenth (I've done a couple of banners at this length before) but this was the first time I've tried to print an image of this size.

I have had different problems printing from Lightroom 3 and PS CS5 (both x64).

Using Lightroom 3 the print truncates at about 40", so I tried a print that was 38" long just to see what happened, that got truncated at about 36". Working my way down I finally got a full print at about 30" (I may have lost about a 16th of an inch but it was close enough).

I then tried printing from Photoshop CS5 which printed the entire panorama at 12"x44" but despite the quality settings in the print dialogue it printed in a low quality 'draft' mode, I tried a second time being very careful with the settings just in case I missed something the first time round, but I got the same result.

This was getting expensive and with Adobe and HP blaming each other I decided cut my losses and had it printed commercially. However I would be very greatful to hear from anyone who has come across a similar issue and managed to resolve it, or anyone who has any suggestions of things I might try.

Cheers,
    Adrian

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Re: Panoramic print gets truncated in LR3, only prints in 'draft' from PS CS5

Adrain- Couple of questions?
    1. Are you using the plug in from hp into CS5 and LR3?
    2. Under the Plug in section there is a drop down box that will allow you to set the size. are you using it? It is determined by pixel size. I believe there is a check box that will not allow it to print out of nomal ratios. See if it is checked.

Sam

Real Name
    Adrian Asher

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your feedback but I've not been able to find a version of the Photosmart Pro plug-in for CS5, HP say that they stopped supplying the plug-in after CS2 as 'we have worked closely with Adobe to refine the print workflow'. So I've just been using the standard print dialogues in LR and PS. I do print all manner of 'non-standard' paper sizes/apsect ratios and up to now have not had a problem, but this is the first time I've tried to print a photographic image at this size.

I'll get back to hassling HP and Adobe and post anything useful that comes back from either of them.

Cheers,
    Adrian

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Your Welcome. Playing in CS5 the only thing that jumps out at me is the check box for allowing the printer handle the color and scaling box is checked. There is also a check box for DPI. It may limit the size. I will admit it has been awhile for me helping with a HP and CRS is kicking in.