Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dumb PS question

Real Name
    Elise

Dumb PS question

This is probably a reeeeally dumb question, but somehow in PS (CS4) I have changed the default on the Zoom tool from + (larger) to - (smaller). It's not a big deal, but it's driving me nuts -- I want the default to be + and I cannot figure out how to change it back. Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Dumb PS question

I couldn't find anything specific to the zoom preferences, but worse case you can reset photoshop to the default settings. Keep in mind, this will reset everything as if you just installed it.

Follow the instructions on this link.

http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-res...ault-settings/

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

On the tool bar there should be 2 buttons ... one to default it to zoom in, and another to default it to zoom out

Real Name
    Elise

Well, as the kids say, duh. I knew I would be embarrassed. Thanks.

There are no dumb questions . . . only dumb users.

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    This is probably a reeeeally dumb question, but somehow in PS (CS4) I have changed the default on the Zoom tool from + (larger) to - (smaller). It's not a big deal, but it's driving me nuts -- I want the default to be + and I cannot figure out how to change it back. Many thanks to anyone who can help.
    Errr... if it's not another really dumb question - why don't you just use the scroll wheel on your mouse to move both in and out? I don't think I have ever used the zoom tool.

Also, if you do use the zoom tool, irrespective of what it's set to if you left click the mouse and drag the mouse across the screen (still holding the click down) it moves the shot in and out.

Real Name
    Elise

Well, I'm sure you can guess that I'm a person who has never taken a PS class or studied it in any concentrated way -- just figured it out bit by bit as I've gone along. Thanks for the tips!

I'm planning on signing up for a community college course in the spring -- maybe that will answer more of my goofy questions.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Also, if you do use the zoom tool, irrespective of what it's set to if you left click the mouse and drag the mouse across the screen (still holding the click down) it moves the shot in and out.
    Also, if you have something other than the zoom tool selected, e.g. because you're about to do something else and realise you need to zoom in or out;
    Alt+scroll wheel zooms, or
    Ctrl+0 zooms to fit image to screen (e.g. useful for Local Contrast Enhancement), or
    Ctrl+Shift+0 zooms to 100% (e.g. useful for sharpening)
    Last two are very useful as they work even when you have the USM dialog open.

If you're zoomed in big (so picture much larger than screen); the scroll wheel usually scrolls image up and down, but if you hold down Ctrl, it pans across image instead. Furthermore, adding Shift increases step size of scroll (or pan) to move large distances quicker.

Best to give them a try them to see what I mean.
    These just checked on CS5, but I'm sure Elements is the same.

Real Name
    Elise

Thanks, Dave. Everyone always says that PS is easier if you know the keyboard shortcuts, but so far I only know a few of them.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Thanks, Dave. Everyone always says that PS is easier if you know the keyboard shortcuts, but so far I only know a few of them.
    Here's a pdf of keyboard shortcuts for CS4. They will definitely come in handy and help make you more efficient as you learn and progress.

http://morris-photographics.com/phot...ortcuts_PC.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by flipmode View Post
    Here's a pdf of keyboard shortcuts for CS4. They will definitely come in handy and help make you more efficient as you learn and progress.

http://morris-photographics.com/phot...ortcuts_PC.pdf
    A useful list, Chris. You didn't fancy making a video of them I see? It must have taken him a long time to script and rehearse this one.