Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Borough Market

Real Name
    Peter

Borough Market

Taken begining of November, all shot with Fuji GA645zi on Ilford XP2 ISO400 film.

Borough Market

Borough Market

Borough Market

Borough Market

Borough Market

Borough Market

Borough Market

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Borough Market

Hi Peter,

I good study of the people and the market. I like the idea of B & W for this. The mix of broad shots, close up and product shots work well. I see a definite style developing here if you wish to pursue it further. More specifically: -

1. I would like to see this a little brighter to show the texture of arch. I like the implied triangle with everyone walking out of the middle of the shot but this leaves me wondering what the point of interest is if not the archway. The bright wall in the background through the arch is where the eye is drawn. It is often said that if the brightest point of an image is not the point of interest by design it will be by accident.

2. This shot appears a little messy in the foreground. I think it would work better cropped into a landscape format showing just the top half of the image. Again the bright point is the tent in the background and that is where the eye is drawn whereas I think you meant the point of interest to be the produce.

3. I like this shot of the market activity but I find my eye is drawn to the blown out white area at the bottom of the image. Again I would crop this off so the eye is on the sellers and the action. The sellers in the background are looking away from our main subjects and the background is dark keeping the eye on your point of interest.

4. This is probably my favourite shot. The clarity of the apron front with the slight blur in the head and hands as the sales person is working. I like the light and shade on the apron and the out of focus background keeps the eye on the subject. The cheese and chopping board tell us what he does.

5. Again with this one the dynamic range is too great with nice light and shade on the sellers but the white table cloth and cheeses are blown out. You could try burning these areas in (or masking and adjusting the exposure if you shoot RAW) to better balance the tones in the image. I would also do the same to the area above the door in the background. One expression is good the other takes away a little but this is life and we cannot have everything. I prefer candid to posed.

6. The dynamic range in this shot is more balanced but I am not sure what the main focal point is. I find this a bit messy. If it is the seller on the left he is too far left and looking out of the image so drawing the viewer eye away from the rest of the image.

7. Again the dynamic range is workable here but I do notice the out of focus sign and my minds eye wants it to be in focus. I find it distracting. Also you managed to capture someone’s shoulder in the bottom left hand corner. I think you were shooting the car. I am not sure how best to take this shot but maybe in landscape to mimic the length of the car and closer in. By way of explanation if you cropped this image just below the boy in the middle and lost some of the dark background above the car.

This is only one person’s opinion and I am not sure I could have done a better job freelance shooting like this. One of the best learning tools in photography is the take many, many shots and then review them over and over again. Each time you will see something new and learn more.

Thanks for posting these. I look forward to seeing more.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Good to see film still being used. It makes me feel guilty to see the kit sitting unused on my shelf.
    A very interesting series, and a great place to take monochrome images.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Hi Peter,

I good study of the people and the market. I like the idea of B & W for this. The mix of broad shots, close up and product shots work well. I see a definite style developing here if you wish to pursue it further. More specifically: -

1. I would like to see this a little brighter to show the texture of arch. I like the implied triangle with everyone walking out of the middle of the shot but this leaves me wondering what the point of interest is if not the archway. The bright wall in the background through the arch is where the eye is drawn. It is often said that if the brightest point of an image is not the point of interest by design it will be by accident.

2. This shot appears a little messy in the foreground. I think it would work better cropped into a landscape format showing just the top half of the image. Again the bright point is the tent in the background and that is where the eye is drawn whereas I think you meant the point of interest to be the produce.

3. I like this shot of the market activity but I find my eye is drawn to the blown out white area at the bottom of the image. Again I would crop this off so the eye is on the sellers and the action. The sellers in the background are looking away from our main subjects and the background is dark keeping the eye on your point of interest.

4. This is probably my favourite shot. The clarity of the apron front with the slight blur in the head and hands as the sales person is working. I like the light and shade on the apron and the out of focus background keeps the eye on the subject. The cheese and chopping board tell us what he does.

5. Again with this one the dynamic range is too great with nice light and shade on the sellers but the white table cloth and cheeses are blown out. You could try burning these areas in (or masking and adjusting the exposure if you shoot RAW) to better balance the tones in the image. I would also do the same to the area above the door in the background. One expression is good the other takes away a little but this is life and we cannot have everything. I prefer candid to posed.

6. The dynamic range in this shot is more balanced but I am not sure what the main focal point is. I find this a bit messy. If it is the seller on the left he is too far left and looking out of the image so drawing the viewer eye away from the rest of the image.

7. Again the dynamic range is workable here but I do notice the out of focus sign and my minds eye wants it to be in focus. I find it distracting. Also you managed to capture someone’s shoulder in the bottom left hand corner. I think you were shooting the car. I am not sure how best to take this shot but maybe in landscape to mimic the length of the car and closer in. By way of explanation if you cropped this image just below the boy in the middle and lost some of the dark background above the car.

This is only one person’s opinion and I am not sure I could have done a better job freelance shooting like this. One of the best learning tools in photography is the take many, many shots and then review them over and over again. Each time you will see something new and learn more.

Thanks for posting these. I look forward to seeing more.
    Thanks for your critique. I've reworked a couple as you suggested, I think they are better but I was constrained by the fact that the source image is already JPEG as they are scanned negatives but Lightroom does quite a good job with them. See what you think.

Borough Market

Borough Market

Real Name
    Peter

I love that display of cheeses and it keeps my attention. It even seems to mellow the look on the closest seller. He is now taking in the delightful smells of cheeses wafting past his nostrils. I also like the closer crop no #2.

As Mike says, good to see film in use, and I must say they are very clean scans. Well done.

Peter, I have not had much time to spend on here lately but I kept meaning to come back to these images. T'other Peter has given an excellent technical appraisal but for me this style does not need to be technically correct. You have captured the mood so well that any polishing becomes superfluous. The first image draws you in and holds you in its atmosphere. I do prefer your original posts to the 'doctored' versions.

You Essex boys certainly have more about you than 2.0 litre capris, stick on sun visors and furry dice....keep 'em coming I have enjoyed these immensely.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    Taken begining of November, all shot with Fuji GA645zi on Ilford XP2 ISO400 film.

Borough Market
    How did I miss these? My apologies Peter.

I note what t'other Peter says in his very constructive and well constructed critique. But I think this image in particular is gorgeous as is. When I opened the thread only the top half of this was showing up on the screen (had to scroll down for the rest). And, I have to confess, it grabbed me immediately. The whole thing is an amazingly powerful image.

Peter suggests a bit more brightness to show the texture of the arch. But I think there'e enough detail for us to 'see' what's there and the rest is implied. And as it is, the tone on the brickwork contrasted with the light looking through the arch, works beautifully.

The group at the bottom right is beautifully set up (I assume this was not arranged) and the light on top of the dog's head and body just works a treat.

I don't even mind that post coming in at the bottom.

The only 'weakness' (though that is a relative term) for me is the couple walking out on the left-hand side. Is there a slight motion blur (but they couldn't have been moving that fast relative to other 'things' that must have been moving, which are all sharp)? Also, the lady is too close up against the edge of the frame.

But, I love it and would have it on the wall any day. It;s such a powerful narrative. What a story it tells.

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks for coming in on this thread Steve and Donald. I can see what you say Donald and I look and look and look at #1 and really want to like it but there is just something missing for me and I really cannot put my fingure on it but I am pleased you guys have voiced support. It is not a genre I explore and I value your opinions and I am sure Peter (t'other, t'other one) will also.

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks for your comments guys. This trip was a real learning experience. I love using film and wanted to see what I could do shooting what was before me. Certain limitation imposed by the camera/film speed created some exposure compromises but really enjoyed the whole experience and am going to repeat soon having just got some Fujifilm Neopan 400 which I will push to ISO800.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    Thanks for your comments guys
    Peter

I've realised why I'm making the connection with this image. There are a couple of disused railway tunnels just down the road from me. I've been in and around them. The construction is wonderful, but I just can't get it right. I've been outside looking into a black hole. I've been inside looking out to a bright scene. The brickwork is glorious.

I visit regularly looking for 'the shot'. There have been many, all of which have been dumped. But I'm still working on it. Watch this space!

You've given me ideas about how I can expose the shot.

There are a couple of disused railway tunnels just down the road from me. I've been in and around them.
    Ah well, they always come round in the end Donald. I always end up on the settee....but at least you can always sleep in your 70-200 box to keep warm. You could always get yourself a benny hat and a one legged dog called Orwell. In fact if you fired up that accordion you might make enough small change to pay for the 70-200...all is forgiven and you are back in the house before you can say Bobs your Uncle.

Underneath the Arches
    I dream my dreams away.
    Underneath the arches,
    On cobblestones I lay.
    Ev'ry night you'll find me,
    Tired out and worn.
    Happy when the daylight comes creeping,
    Heralding the dawn.

Sleeping when it's raining,
    And sleeping when it's fine,
    I hear the trains rattling by above.
    Pavement is my pillow,