Lilly #2
    Plant studies

Winter Cabbage
    Plant studies

All three shot on Fuji PRO 160s film @ F16 8secs. C&C welcome

Real Name
    David

Re: Plant studies

Hi Peter - I've enjoyed looking at these images. I used to use Fuji film back in the 90's when I had to do some industrial photography. I'm not familiar with this type, but I always thought Fuji had the edge for fine work. Clearly, you must have a quiet and still studio for 8 second exposures!

#3 I think is superb, the colours and the off-subject slash of on-subject colour. The lilies seem to my eyes to be very slightly under-exposed, but that may be a function of the display size as when I enlarge them the exposure seems OK.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    John

I prefer #3 as well, the image is nicely centered without the cropped edges of #1 or #2. I would go with a tighter shot if you aren't going to include all of the flower, especially with so much space in the background which actually competes with the flower tonally. #3 just seems to take over the frame and the splash of purple-red leads the eye throughout the image.

Real Name
    Raylee

I love the cabbage. Who would've thought a cabbage could be so photogenic? The colours are glorious.

Something I do with my digital shots of flowers is to push the contrast right up and then adjust the brightness. I like the effects I get with this.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    I love the cabbage. Who would've thought a cabbage could be so photogenic? The colours are glorious.

Something I do with my digital shots of flowers is to push the contrast right up and then adjust the brightness. I like the effects I get with this.
    Theses are scanned as JPEGs straight from the negative so I didn't want to change the film look by manipulating in Lightroom. Only adjustment was to resize and apply slight sharpening.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I prefer #3 as well, the image is nicely centered without the cropped edges of #1 or #2. I would go with a tighter shot if you aren't going to include all of the flower, especially with so much space in the background which actually competes with the flower tonally. #3 just seems to take over the frame and the splash of purple-red leads the eye throughout the image.
    Ran out of room trying to go far enough back with the 210mm lens to the whole flower but should have framed the lilly shots better. Next time I'll use a 100mm lens and get more of the flower in the frame. I believe the winter cabbage isn't actually edible but thet do look photogenic.

Hi,
    For its colour and texture

Plant studies

Radu Dinu
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 9th October 2010 at 08:15 PM.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post

Winter Cabbage
    Plant studies
    This is lovely. I like the way you have caught the spiral construction of the cabbage so well.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    Ran out of room trying to go far enough back with the 210mm lens to the whole flower but should have framed the lilly shots better. Next time I'll use a 100mm lens and get more of the flower in the frame. I believe the winter cabbage isn't actually edible but thet do look photogenic.
    Always the problem with photography, you are either too close or too far. I have a similar dilemma, there is a cathedral right outside my window about fifty feet away (I am on the ninth floor) and I cannot get a complete shot through my window. The roof is off limits and my only option would be to stitch several images together.