Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: the best of today

Real Name
    Jason

the best of today

I would love to get some opinions on these.

First off I'm not sure which of these two i like better
    the best of today

and

the best of today

I dont usually do to many night photos but I just got a good quality tripod recently so I decided to take advantage of it

the best of today

I think this one is my favorite of the day.

the best of today

Real Name
    Peter

Re: the best of today

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoads238 View Post
    I would love to get some opinions on these.

First off I'm not sure which of these two i like better
    the best of today

and

the best of today

I dont usually do to many night photos but I just got a good quality tripod recently so I decided to take advantage of it

the best of today

I think this one is my favorite of the day.

the best of today
    Hi Jason,

#2 is my preference of the first two. There is too much dark area on the left in the first shot. The lights draw you in to the middle of the shot and then you think – what’s the rest all about. You were thinking the same as you have cropped that bit out. The second is a much more powerful shot.

I like #3 very much. A very interesting bridge that draws you into the shot and the other reflections but as with the first and second I would like to have seen just a little colour still in the sky. There is too much black for me. I would try the same shots after the sun has gone down but with the afterglow in the sky.

#4 is the one you say you like and it is the one with colour in the sky. I love the idea of city reflections in street puddles but the subject matter just doesn’t do it for me – BUT this is just a personal thing, I am sure there are other who will like this subject matter. I do like the idea though.

Jason

I shot through the first three (more lights on more bridges) and then I came to No4 and that is definitely worth a linger. I have become a grumpy old sausage these days and get very exasperated with the 'photographers' stock shots, bridges with lights, smooth water with rocks etc. I know shouldn't because it is the way some must learn the trade and Doris and Max buy them by the bucket load. But then amongst the 10 for a dollar stuff you get a little gem and No 4 is that for me. I like everything about it. No you will not find it on Doris and Maximillian's dining room wall but for me that does not matter because they will not have time to look into the depths anyway.

Real Name
    David

Hi Jason - Sounds as if Wirefox has a bit of distemper today But I'm with him on #4. I had to look twice to see what it was then I was hooked - very smart, particularly the leaves with similar colours to the reflections. The bridge shot, too, I think is well done. Even if it is not original in conception it is a smartly exposed night-time documentary shot.

I can't make up my mind on the first two. I've tried this in the past with no success. I must have another go. So, if these are first attempts, simply getting exposure times correct has to be a plus and composition would take a back seat.

I think I'll send Wirefox a box of dog biscuits - that'll make him feel better. On second thoughts, a live chicken ought to do the trick.
    Cheers

David

David

Thanks for your kind offer. A box of Bonio will go down a treat. I was trained not to chase live chickens after the last incident with the hen coop

Jason

I was on a downer (I always get grumpy when I have not had enough sleep) so I had a bit of a rant. My photographic preferences leave me unqualified to comment on the first 3. But the fourth is still a cracker.

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    David

Thanks for your kind offer. A box of Bonio will go down a treat. I was trained not to chase live chickens after the last incident with the hen coop

Jason

I was on a downer (I always get grumpy when I have not had enough sleep) so I had a bit of a rant. My photographic preferences leave me unqualified to comment on the first 3. But the fourth is still a cracker.
    no no i totally understand what you were saying. They are stock photos. especially with the location that I chose. I was driving past the bridge again today and i saw a spot that would work much better and be more visually interesting of a photo. i could basically get a bend in the highway in the foreground of the shot with the bridge and reflection in the back. i think it would be much more interesting and have more of a theme to it rather than a picture of a bridge. think of more of a transportation motif. I really like the fourth one as well but i think that the subject could be a little better. never the less i'm going to keep working with the idea maybe i should have thrown a pebble in it or something so i could get a ripple effect in part of the sky.

David- I think you were geting at that the composition wasn't really all there, I agree with you completely. The truth is i was a little rushed. i walked onto the bridge after taking the third shot in the set and noticed that the traffic wasn't moving on the west bound lane. I got excited because i could get some cars completely still with others with trails. Usually traffic does not stop on the bridge but it turned out there was an accident. so i was kind of rushed from that and also some people were heckling me from their car which made me just want to get away from that spot.

Real Name
    Steve

David

Great shots! I especially like #3. What bridge is this?

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Jason, I really like the third one for its clarity and colour. Lovely and saturated and the reflections and lights beneath the bridge give some depth to the image.
    #4 is very interesting and at first I couldn;t quite work out why, but I think it is because it has the light showing more strongly at the bottom than at the top, which is a reversal to the norm. It is interesting and holds my attention.

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    David

Great shots! I especially like #3. What bridge is this?
    Its the FDR mid hudson bridge

Real Name
    Jason
    i thought this one was neat. and i figured it wasnt worth starting a new thread

the best of today

Real Name
    John

I am working on a similar series of light trails but from a farther distance. One thing about these types of shots is timing is everything. The area where I have unlimited access presents a challenge because there are traffic lights that limit the amount of cars flowing through. Whenever there is a red light, the light trails appear as blobs of light or the light trails seem to stop in space as my timed exposure ends.

I would assume that these are one of many of the same shot.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I am working on a similar series of light trails but from a farther distance. One thing about these types of shots is timing is everything. The area where I have unlimited access presents a challenge because there are traffic lights that limit the amount of cars flowing through. Whenever there is a red light, the light trails appear as blobs of light or the light trails seem to stop in space as my timed exposure ends.

I would assume that these are one of many of the same shot.
    Attempt #44
    the best of today