Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Morning.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Morning.

These are four taken one misty morning back when we were still in Martinborough. I had been waiting for a particular shot of a particular location that I've seen when I didn't have the camera, but the slight breeze was blowing the mist in a different direction. So I headed off out of town....

Morning.

I was cursing a bit that I didn't have the lens hood here. But I do quite like the lines along the hill tops.

Morning.

They guy driving the truck wasn't going to slow down for a photographer!

Morning.

Getting up on the bank beside the road gave a different perspective.

Morning.

With the sun rising higher and burning the mist off, I headed for home, but these sheep in their barren looking paddock were a final attraction. An odd "rainbow" of almost white was forming just behind them.

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Morning.

I know what you are saying about the lens flare but I do like #1. The light on the hills is geat.

Real Name
    Vidyadharan

All pictures are marvelous Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    I know what you are saying about the lens flare but I do like #1. The light on the hills is geat.
    That is my favourite as well and I particularly like the lone tree on the right...others may have cropped him, but not me.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    That is my favourite as well and I particularly like the lone tree on the right...others may have cropped him, but not me.
    I agree Kay. The line of hills takes your eye to the right and if the tree were removed there is nothing stopping the eye from escaping out of the image. With the tree left in you have a visual full stop and the eye comes back along the hill line.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Good series Kit,

I agree with all the earlier comments, the tree 'makes' number 1, as does the truck for #2, #4 has the atmospheric effect (that is weird).

#3 lacks a distant object to land the eyes upon, so for me, despite having a pleasing composition, it is the weakest.

At least the truck went around you - thank heavens,

Back to #1; I can't imagine not being out without a lens hood, but then with Nikon glass, they just reverse bayonet onto the lens body for stowage and transit However, don't feel bad - with the sun that close to the axis, especially in the corner, no traditional or petal lens hood would have helped IMO. It is definitely my favourite of the series regardless.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steve

Yep, I like #1 and #2 the best.

Real Name
    Wendy

Wow! nice series. #1 is simply stunning, and 2 and 4 are right up there too. I agree with Dave that # 3 lacks the impact of the others.
    Nice Work

Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Add my name to the list of admirers. The one featuring the truck is stunning. Everything has just come together beautifully and you were in the right place at the right time with the skill and knowledge to capture the scene and make the image. My compliments.

Kit, the first two are beautiful images. The flare in the first can be removed easily in PP. I have had a clumsy attempt (if you do not mind) but you can see the potential

Morning.

The second image brings so much to mind the migration of the Joad family across the dust bowl of Oklahoma (Steinbeck). It was the first thing that struck me and is an evocative image. Excellent work Kit. Love it

Steve
    Last edited by Wirefox; 8th October 2010 at 09:35 PM.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I love these; the first two in particular.
    Strangely the flare adds something to the first image, in my mind. Maybe it accentuates the feeling of looking in from an outside world. (Sorry, I've just polished off a bottle of wine)
    Aaaah.

I must at first glance I thought the flare was fine but my eyes kept being drawn to it which seemed a shame. If I drank I could have a bottle of wine too and compare notes. Tell you what I will slozzle a bottle of Dandelion and Burdock and we will go from there.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Tell you what I will slozzle a bottle of Dandelion and Burdock and we will go from there.
    Heck, you guys north of Watford sure know how to live!!

You want to see me go when I get on the Vimto. I go through the "your my best my mate you are" phase, hit the "what you lookin' at" phase and subside into chatting up the barman and dribbling all within 3 bottles. 20 years ago it used to be 10 pints of Theakstons OP on a Saturday night and marginally less on work nights. but you can get to liking something a little to much to be likeable.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Thanks for all your encouraging comments. I really value the honesty here at CiC.

Wirey Steve - I also removed the flare as you did, but it also removes the brightness of the sun and I felt it detracted form the mood. So flare it is.

I'm really liking these more simplified images at the moment and they seem to be working.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    I'm really liking these more simplified images at the moment and they seem to be working.
    To paraphrase Professor Higgins - "I think she's got it!"

Wirey Steve - I also removed the flare as you did, but it also removes the brightness of the sun and I felt it detracted form the mood. So flare it is.

Yes, now I look at it this morning I believe you are right. The image looks a little flat without the bright area from the sun. Simple, is complex in its execution and you have done a superb job with these.