Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: This one won a prize at a local contest.... Was it deserved?

Real Name
    Rui Lopes

This one won a prize at a local contest.... Was it deserved?

Aveiro (also called the portuguese Venice), Portugal:

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: This one won a prize at a local contest.... Was it deserved?

I can only imagine what a lovely shot this would have been, before the 10 foot high copyright message

Real Name
    Myra

Yes. Such a lovely scene.

Myra

Real Name

Rui,

What do you think of this as an alternative? (hope you don't mind!)

Real Name
    Rui Lopes

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I can only imagine what a lovely shot this would have been, before the 10 foot high copyright message
    Thanks. Actually, as I already explained here, I feel forced to always embbed watermarks on pictures shown in forums because some time ago I saw a complete gallery of my PBase images stolen and sent through PPīs around the world....
    The non-watermarked image is here:
    http://www.pbase.com/ruilopes/image/105090838

Real Name
    Rui Lopes

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Yes. Such a lovely scene.

Myra
    Thanks, Myra.

Real Name
    Rui Lopes

Rui,

What do you think of this as an alternative? (hope you don't mind!)

I donīt mind it at all! Itīs a very nice and different approach.
    Thanks.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Lopes View Post
    Thanks. Actually, as I already explained here, I feel forced to always embbed watermarks on pictures shown in forums because some time ago I saw a complete gallery of my PBase images stolen and sent through PPīs around the world....
    Yep - it's happened to me too (except mine were stolen from photo.net). It didn't take any money out of my pocket though ... how about yours?

The big problem with big copyright messages is that they ruin the image for everyone ... it's a bit like having a train wreck dumped in your street when the street is being judged for a "best street" competition; we can say to the judges "please ignore the train wreck", but it's just not that easy to do. In my case perhaps it's a character flaw or something, but when I see something that harsh and brutal it's hard (impossible) for me to look past it and appreciate the image -- the image is simply ruined.

All I can say is that I have my commercial work in my gallery - at quite decent resolutions - all without watermarks - and honestly, it's just never been a real problem. Sure, occasionally something gets copied and put in a blog, but "so what" - if it brings someone a little joy then good luck to them - only if it started taking money out of my pocket would I be upset about it.

Just my thoughts anyway

Real Name
    Rui Lopes

Yep - it's happened to me too (except mine were stolen from photo.net). It didn't take any money out of my pocket though ... how about yours?

The big problem with big copyright messages is that they ruin the image for everyone ... it's a bit like having a train wreck dumped in your street when the street is being judged for a "best street" competition; we can say to the judges "please ignore the train wreck", but it's just not that easy to do. In my case perhaps it's a character flaw or something, but when I see something that harsh and brutal it's hard (impossible) for me to look past it and appreciate the image -- the image is simply ruined.

All I can say is that I have my commercial work in my gallery - at quite decent resolutions - all without watermarks - and honestly, it's just never been a real problem. Sure, occasionally something gets copied and put in a blog, but "so what" - if it brings someone a little joy then good luck to them - only if it started taking money out of my pocket would I be upset about it.

Just my thoughts anyway
    Not sure whether someone took money out of my pocket. However, I hate to see my images sent throughout the world without my agreement and sometimes, along with photographic garbage. Anyway I suspect that a portuguese hotel which asked me to use an image for free (and I didnīt agree) somehow managed to get it... Iīll check it soon.
    I added links to my galleries in all my forum signatures so people may see no-watermarked pictures. Of course, I disabled the righ-click feature in all my galleries.
    Regards.

Real Name
    Carol

Much better!

Real Name
    Jeroen

I don't know about the competition but I can see why it won. It is definitely a great photo. I would be very pleased to see this shot on my camera's LCD screen (after I took it).

+1

Real Name

However, I hate to see my images sent throughout the world without my agreement and sometimes, along with photographic garbage.
    Hi Rui,

I agree entirely - it irritated me as well. There is a way to stop it happening that's almost 100% effective though ... simply don't display our images anywhere online. No forums - no galleries. It works of course, but it left me wondering why I displayed my images in public in the first place ... and the answer was "for others to enjoy", which of course they can't do if they're not there ... but they also can't do with big watermarks through them. So I threw caution to the wind, on the understanding that for the greater good, sometimes the bad guys win. The good news was they only ever stole a copy ... I always had the original

Yes you are right, very often I am also getting PP's in my e-mail from unknown sources, and some times from friends, who re-direct such PP's containing Probably stolen Photographs....

Real Name
    Rui Lopes

Thanks to evryone for all the kind comments.

Colin : I can understand and agree to your point in some extent, but for the time being I prefer to keep watermarking pictures posted in forums and invite people to see the originals through my safer galleries.
    Anyway, thanks for your opinion.
    Regards

Real Name
    Steve

Cor; I only saw this this morning and didn't expect it to be all over by the time I thought about replying. I wish I could win competitions I only ever get a big fat zero, but undeterred I keep going in the hope that one day somebody likes a landscape that looks like a place; like this one.

Real Name
    Rui Lopes

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Cor; I only saw this this morning and didn't expect it to be all over by the time I thought about replying. I wish I could win competitions I only ever get a big fat zero, but undeterred I keep going in the hope that one day somebody likes a landscape that looks like a place; like this one.
    Thanks, Steve.
    Be patient....It took me 6 whole years to get recognition for my work.....