5 3.05%
  • Sigma

2 1.22%
  • Sony

16 9.76%
  • Other (please specify in post)

4 2.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: What is the manufacturer of your main camera?

POLL: What is the manufacturer of your main camera?

This may have been done before, but there are many new members, so...

What is the manufacturer of your main camera? Do not consider lenses, as you may have (for example) a Canon camera with Sigma lenses. Just the camera body.

If you wish to add further details/comments then please post as normal below. I reckon Canon will be in the majority here.

You might want to state (for the benefit of others) what you think of your main camera.

Link to look up details for digital slr cameras listed in the poll http://www.warehouseexpress.com/categorybasecategory.aspx?cat03=3065

And for non-slr digitals http://www.warehouseexpress.com/cate...spx?cat03=3064

And camera database on DP Review You can compare cameras on a list, and get full tech details for most cameras. Click 'camera database' on the left menu http://www.dpreview.com/
    Last edited by carregwen; 13th April 2010 at 02:48 PM.

Re: POLL: What is the manufacturer of your main camera?

Canon 5DMk1 - Amazing pixel density (low). Really good image quality. Horrible sensor dust problem.

Canon 50D - Good quality images at low ISO, not so hot at higher. Amazing view screen. Excellent Liveview. Feels like a big camera.

Canon 350D. Sweet!
    Last edited by carregwen; 13th April 2010 at 02:16 PM.

Real Name
    Ron

Good idea Rob.
    Mine is an 'entry' DSLR (Nikon 3000 with 18-105) but I am very pleased with its possibilities. I know that quite a few of our members use this body so we can learn from each other.
    Hey ... love your web site and its not in Welsh!

Real Name
    Steve

Canon 10D because I've only just started and I don't like those small things or plastic shutter or menu's and I knew if a pro owned it it would have been looked after, also discontinued equals cheaper.

The only problems with it are size of mirror and low number of pixels so cropping isn't easy.

I want 5D MK1 but don't know if I will ever be able to afford one especially since my crap computer broke down again today, all I did was clean the fan. I noticed an intrusion setting in bios which is enabled by default, could it be that that did it, I accidentally jolted it when putting back the door.

added some links in post #1 to look up cameras.

Real Name
    Jim

5DII:Very good high ISO performance.Image quality is very good.I can't comment on the video capabilities because I haven't used that function yet.Menus are easy to navigate.

50D:Image quality is very good.High ISO not so good over 400,but files clean up nicely with noise reduction software.This is the body I use for action photos.Big difference in FPS compared to the II.

Both have 3" screens, one of the reasons I moved up from a 40D.
    Both fit my hands comfortably.

Real Name
    Pops

Nikon D40, N6006, FG-20, N60, N70, N80, (Canon SD750 always in my pocket.) The D40 is the one I have for everyday shooting. I always have one of the film cameras with me when I leave the house, in case I run into a job which does better on film. (The 6006 actually belongs to my partner, but I bought it. )

I have two lenses for each of the cameras, a short prime and a medium zoom. I do have a 400mm, but seldom use it. Which brings up a question I'm interested in, which I'll put in a separate post.

Pops

Real Name
    Espen

Nikon D90. I miss my old Olympus 4Ti though, but bless the autofocus.

I chose this camera because of it's price range. Canon 550D is not an option. I think that having two wheels - one in front for aperture and one in back for shutter speed is a must. I appreciate the lightmetering, as it gives fair metering under fairly difficult conditions, although 3D matrix is not something I am likely to use in a while. I shoot only manual. Call me purist or machoist, but I really appreciate the learning.

I have an 35 mm normal lens F1.8 and an AF 80-200 F2.8 D - the version with ring focus. Both lenses are sharp, fast and gives great versatility. I also have an old AF 28-80 F3.5-5.6 and an AF 70-200 F4-5.6 D. Both lenses are good, but they are not close to the others.

I chose Nikon because I really like the intuitiveness, the relative sturdiness and not least - the availability of lenses both old and new. The bayonet has kept being the same through what, 50 years? The D90 has an autofocus-screw so I can use older lenses with full auto, which is not possible with the entry models.

Choosing between Nikon and Canon is mostly a matter of taste and preferences I think. I hold no grudge towards you Canonists, but you would not sell me one.

I miss a real flash and a wide angle, but I am told it builds character not to have to many options...

If I still had my Olympus, I'd be using that. I also have an Olympus 3Ti second hand, and I think about using it. Film is special, no matter the convenience of digital.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Canon 1Ds3 - Perfect (Almost!)

Its a 40D for me after using a 450D for just under a year. One of my daughters is now the proud owner of the 450D. Before that a Fuji Fine Pix S7000 and before that a Sony DSC Brick (2.1 Megapixels). Also these.....and a few more besides. Sadly not used but i am thinking of running some film through my old OM2N. I just love that Zuiko 50mm.

Real Name
    John

Nikon

D60-great camera, expensive lenses.
    P90-has auto bracketing, user controls, decent zoom, ISO range from 64-6400 quality of photos do not exceed ISO 800, no RAW.
    S220-portable, great for panning, decent ISO, no problems except limited zoom.

Real Name
    Kay

I too, started with the Canon 450D & upgraded to the 7D, chosen because the vast majority of images I take are of sports- low light condition ones mainly. The kids here wanted to keep the 450D as well, but the 'other half' seemed to feel selling it would be a much better option......have I mentioned previously he's an accountant?
    .....this gives me an idea for a mini - comp....am I allowed to suggest it? or did I read the winner of each comp' chooses the next topic?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    .....this gives me an idea for a mini - comp....am I allowed to suggest it? or did I read the winner of each comp' chooses the next topic?
    Hi Kay,

There is a monthly themed comp, which the winner chooses the theme for a later one.

The mini-comps are generally not themed, (other than Monochrome and Action shots) but you're welcome to use the 'template' and start your own in the Photo Challenges and Competitions forum. If you want it to be a Mini-comp, then we need to limit entries to 10 and start over with a "#2" if there are more. I suppose there is a risk we'll end up with too many different Mini-comps (I dunno what others think).

An alternative that has been used previously that just allows similar pictures to be gathered together is to start an invitation thread in the most appropriate forum (People and Pets or Nature and Architecture) like this; Oh go on... give us a twirl (POST YOUR SHOTS HERE), although with this option, we would not expect voting, just comments.

If I knew what the idea was, I might give better advice

Cheers,

Canon 20d, I like it and I'm still working it out. A new camera would be great, however I don't see the point in buying a new one until I learn to use the one I've got. You never know, one day soon I might even start shooting RAWs

At the end of the day, any camera is only as good as the person behind it

I have a Canon 450D and a Panasonic LX3. I use them both as often as each other really but very much prefer my SLR, once i get some better glass i'll be even more happier with it as i feel i'm now at the stahe where i know i'm doing lol. The LX3 does take some amazing photos and is great to just have in my pocket.

Real Name
    Richard

I own four Canon DSLR cameras: 10D, 30D, 40D and a D60 which has been converted to full-time infra red. I also have an Olympus 5050Z which I seldom use but, keep in case I need a P&S for some reason. I normally use the 30D and 40D as my main cameras and keep the 10D because I am not going to sell it for the price I can get for it. I have occasionally used 3 cameras mounted on a tripod with 3 different focal length lenses.

After using the Olympus E510 for 3 years which I love , I researched the E5 and while it is expensive and there are issues about the future odf the Fourtrirds system I eventually bit the bullet and purchase alond with the 12 to 60 2.8 lense. The upgrade has completly reinvigurated my enthusiasm for taking photos. The camera is really way better than my expectations alhough it takes a little to get used to.
    Pros are
    1 Jpeg image quality is great.
    2 I love the Art filters ...Dramatic Tone is me favourate but there are lots to experiment with.
    3 Weatherproof...no more worrys about the rain.
    4 Articulated back screen allows very descrete use especially at live gigs.
    5 Face detection when using live view
    6 Can control studio lights with built in command system.
    7 Video is great but i haven't used it much yet.
    8 Its great to get comments about the results at camera club competitions...judges get used to seeing Nikon and Canon but the Oy results are crisper.
    9 The 'Portrait' mode is brilliant as it allows excellent tweeking for skin texture etc with the Oly software.
    Cons
    1 It is heavy
    2 For non Oly customers it is expensive
    3 Fear that high street accessories might become difficult to get.

Thats about it ...here's an example of dramatic tone filter on Ballycotton lighthouse in East Cork , Ireland.
    Last edited by Slim; 28th January 2012 at 12:44 PM.

The thing with dslr cameras is that once you have a couple of lenses you are virtually committed to that brand for life; or have to make an expensive total change. And the more lenses you have the more expensive any change becomes.

I have previously mentioned a friend who reckons that his old 4 MP Nikon is better than anything which Canon will ever make - just because it is a Nikon.

Well, I did mention to him the recent statistics which show that 70% of the top 100 Reuters photos of 2011 were taken with a Canon. But he suggested that if you were going into a war zone you wouldn't take your best camera'

I have 2, a canon PowerShot A710 IS w/6x optical zoom and the Canon 60D. The powershot I have had a number of years and carry it most all the time. The 60D I have just purchased and am still learning the ins and outs to get started. I do look forward to learning the 60D and all its features. I wanted the 60D for the movie capabilities and the photos.

Real Name
    Wendy

I am a beginner studying photography and bought a Nikon D7000. I like it, although the auto focus is a little off at times which is annoying. I don't have the experience to compare, but so far, love my nikon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast