From Canon A720 to Lumix FZ40 to Sony A58

Hi:
    I've been a subscriber here since 2012, but this is my first post. For the past 30 months I've had the distinct pleasure of using a Lumix FZ40 ( and took 43000 exposures) when the flash died. I work full time nights in a children's mental health residence in rural Hamilton, Ont. As a result I have seen 13 years of dawns, in all weathers and seasons which I have photographed enthusiastically since I got my Canon A720 6 years ago, until my wife gave me the FZ40. This past weekend was our twelfth anniversary and my wife gave me $500 and told me to replace the FZ40. After an all nighter on the internet it finally came down to Nikon D3100, Nikon D5100, or the Sony A58, and after comparing prices between 6 different vendors, I came across an ad from BestBuy for the Sony A58 at $449 instead of the $600 it was everywhere else. When I ran up to the local BestBuy they only had one left, and it has now moved to a location very close to my right hand.
    I hope this doesn't bore anyone, but having an A58 in my hands borders on the miraculous; completely unexpected and so completed satisfying.
    Which brings me to my point: I have never submitted any posts to this (or any other forum) because I have always had a sense of inadequacy about my equipment, or my talent.
    Since it's now time to step up to the plate I am posting various images I have taken with the various cameras . The subjects are varied, but I would appreciate any feedback anyone cares to offer, and I extend my thanks in advance for your patience and your input.
    ........I think I've finally managed to attach some photos
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 7th October 2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: separated and numbered photos

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: From Canon A720 to Lumix FZ40 to Sony A58

Hi David,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

I have fixed all the tags in your post (not all images were showing), separated and numbered them for you.

If you are looking for feedback, I would suggest you stick to one area (e.g. portraits), post (far) fewer pictures and tell us a bit about them.

I say this because members being asked to comment on 13 images that have to be referenced by their content is a big ask.

Here's a thread which gives good advice;
    How to Get Effective Feedback for your Posted Images

Cheers,

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

OK, hot drink in hand, I'll give it a go; a one liner on each.

1: I like the shot, the different levels, etc., if there is one thing that spoils it for me, it is the pole dividing the shot in two, now I appreciate it would be impossible to take a shot without it there, but under 'artistic licence', I wonder how you'd feel about cloning it out?

2: Lovely colours, but that horizon needs to be level

3: Another one I like; because I shoot heron when I can, but in a river setting rather than beach, I can't suggest much other than comment it might be a tad over exposed (and I have plenty of my own shots to prove how easy that is)

4: Slight level issue, but my eye is drawn to the white object in foreground, if litter, suggest clone it out? (or pick it up before taking the shot)

5: The bright area lower right needs a significant decrease in exposure in Post Processing, I'd also (personally) pan left a tad too

6: Is the kind of shot that makes an impression at the time (for you) but rarely translates well into a photograph unless the foreground scene really complements the sky (as it did in 2)

7: Is this a candid shot of someone unknown to you? It shouldn't work, but as she's looking at us, it does, I might suggest cloning out the yellow line on the tarmac below to simplify the composition

8: I kinda like the compositional elements brought by the arrangement of fallen trees, but the scene doesn't hold my attention, it may if given a bit more punch in Post Processing with a technique like Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE)

9: As 8 above, but also I feel I want to see more (i.e. a wider angle)

10: Perhaps shot from a bit too close? The diagonals of the pylon tower I suspect you are under don't help.

11: What is the subject? The foreground (sharp, but dark) branch, or the overall scene (which the branch obscures just a bit too much of for my taste)

12: Daughter or Grand-daughter? either way, she's not enjoying being your model, but if a family snap, may well have value in years to come! You should consider what is in the background though, there are some bold shapes and colours that attract our eyes away from the subject.

13: Much like 6, this is the kind of subject that makes an impression on the photographer, but is difficult to pull of as a still (and silent) image, again this would benefit from Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE)

I seem to have given you lots to think about there and most of it was negative (sorry), what I will say is that I do completely understand why you took each shot and hope my ideas hlp make future captures or post processing better.

Most have good exposure and focus choice, so well done.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

#3, #4, #5 and #6 are really beautiful

Real Name
    David Williams

Thank you, especially considering that they were taken with my well-used Lumix FZ40. I keep the 40 set with a max auto ISO of 400, but usually use ISO 100. I also back off the noise reduction -2; reduce daylight exposures by.7ev to eliminate/ reduce blowouts. Mostly I use Program Auto, or Aperture and I tend to use the camera the way I used to use a film SLR.
    I Don't do much post-processing (I have an old version of Elements and Serif X6, but I find them difficult to learn and have thus fallen back on Picasa instead.) so I guess it's time to start with the tips Dave suggested earlier.
    I haven't figured out my optimal settings for the A58 yet, and I'm still trying to figure out a workflow for myself. Until this point I haven't done much printing, but my wife is pushing me to start. A steep learning curve.
    I see the numinous in the world all around me, and I don't mean in a divine sense, but more of enormous awe at the forces and timescales involved in the life of our little planet ; as well as the intricacies and complexities of the macroscopic world.
    I am still curious about almost everything, but I have this passion for trying to capture how I see the numinous in our world. I think I just articulated what my ultimate goal is - to communicate in my images what I can't tell people about.
    My thanks again, Wavelength
    David

Real Name
    David Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    OK, hot drink in hand, I'll give it a go; a one liner on each.

1: I like the shot, the different levels, etc., if there is one thing that spoils it for me, it is the pole dividing the shot in two, now I appreciate it would be impossible to take a shot without it there, but under 'artistic licence', I wonder how you'd feel about cloning it out?

2: Lovely colours, but that horizon needs to be level

3: Another one I like; because I shoot heron when I can, but in a river setting rather than beach, I can't suggest much other than comment it might be a tad over exposed (and I have plenty of my own shots to prove how easy that is)

4: Slight level issue, but my eye is drawn to the white object in foreground, if litter, suggest clone it out? (or pick it up before taking the shot)

5: The bright area lower right needs a significant decrease in exposure in Post Processing, I'd also (personally) pan left a tad too

6: Is the kind of shot that makes an impression at the time (for you) but rarely translates well into a photograph unless the foreground scene really complements the sky (as it did in 2)

7: Is this a candid shot of someone unknown to you? It shouldn't work, but as she's looking at us, it does, I might suggest cloning out the yellow line on the tarmac below to simplify the composition

8: I kinda like the compositional elements brought by the arrangement of fallen trees, but the scene doesn't hold my attention, it may if given a bit more punch in Post Processing with a technique like Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE)

9: As 8 above, but also I feel I want to see more (i.e. a wider angle)

10: Perhaps shot from a bit too close? The diagonals of the pylon tower I suspect you are under don't help.

11: What is the subject? The foreground (sharp, but dark) branch, or the overall scene (which the branch obscures just a bit too much of for my taste)

12: Daughter or Grand-daughter? either way, she's not enjoying being your model, but if a family snap, may well have value in years to come! You should consider what is in the background though, there are some bold shapes and colours that attract our eyes away from the subject.

13: Much like 6, this is the kind of subject that makes an impression on the photographer, but is difficult to pull of as a still (and silent) image, again this would benefit from Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE)

I seem to have given you lots to think about there and most of it was negative (sorry), what I will say is that I do completely understand why you took each shot and hope my ideas hlp make future captures or post processing better.

Most have good exposure and focus choice, so well done.

Real Name
    David Williams

Hi Dave: I'm not very I'm not at all familiar with some of the techniques you mentioned, although you have certainly motivated me to pay more attention when I'm framing. Thank you also for your comment about exposure and focus choices. I tend to shoot with -.7 ev to avoid blowing highlights, and I dialed back the noise reductions to the lowest limit; set my max. iso 2 400, and shot my images at ISO 100 in Program Auto, or Aperture Priority even in the dark ( I work straight nights). I sometimes shoot in auto for comparison.
    With respect to the images above, #1 intrigued me because it was very rainy and foggy at 7:00 AM. I had never seen the stairs before and the confluence of rail, road bridge and stairs all disappearing into a foggy distance seemed somehow symbolic of how our lives entwine with others and all head off into a dim, murky and undefined future.
    I haven't acquired the expertise to remove the offending pole, but I have another image of the same shot, but it includes all of the lamp. What do you think?
    I'll keep working on the others. Thanks again,
    David
    Last edited by DavidTRWilliams; 10th October 2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: add photo