Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: opinions on these two, C&C

opinions on these two, C&C

This is image 3 from an earlier post (Which do you prefer (if either)? C & C appreciated) with the hot spots toned down.

And this image 4 from the same post.

Re: opinions on these two, C&C

Both good. First one is well lit across the frame and composed well. Second is partial lit, emphasising the richer coloured leaves. I like the composition of the second and the darker feel. Nice work.

Real Name
    Menno Manheim

I like the first one better. In the second one my eyes wonder of the left trying to look at something that is cut off. The first one is more balanced and keeps me focussed on the subject. In both I like the colors and the contrast. The green leave seems a bit out of place and is disturbing.

Clive and Menno,
    Thanks for looking and commenting. I agree about the green and I've toned it down.
    From those who've been kind enough to comment (here and my earlier post) it appears about split between the two images.
    I've been torn between the two but I lean towards the second pic (image 4). For me it worked out well, the light comes from upper right to lower left, as do the four main leaves in the image. As the light goes, so goes the color and brightness of the leaves.
    I guess it boils down to more about personal preference than any photographic dogma.
    Thanks again,
    Jack
    FYI, the lighting is natural. I did tweak levels/contrast/saturation a bit, to brink out details a bit.

Real Name
    Kevin

Neat shots, and I really like your processing. I'm a bit more inclined toward the first as I feel a more even balancing between the red, yellow and brown. I like the peripheral darkness of the 2nd, but fell like it extends just a little too far. Perhaps a mild crop off the top and the right would work, but as you have rightfully pointed out, it's ultimately just a preference. Well done.

Kevin,
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Following your suggestion, I've cropped the second image (#4). While I like the second image, I wasn't crazy about the 1:1. Following your suggestion I think it's a better look now as a rectangle (1.5:1)

Real Name
    David

Hi Jack, i prefer no.3 better than no.4 but now that you have made the crop no.4 kinda works for me to.

Real Name
    Menno Manheim

I like the new tone of the green. Fits perfectly.

Real Name
    Dave

The bright leaf to the bottom left spoils the whole image as you have a dark almost toneless colour to the right bottom and then a lighter tone in the middle of the image and the darker tone at the top left, imho.
    Dave.

Should have added love the concept of the image with it's different textures.
    Last edited by Dusty; 10th October 2013 at 11:06 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like the last one best. Everything about it works for me.

Real Name
    Kevin

That's gorgeous, Jack

David, thanks for viewing again. It was your suggestion that made me try this crop. Glad you like it (a little better anyway ;-)

Menno,
    Thanks, I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out. Thereafter it stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Thanks for the input.

Dave, I see what you're mean. In the larger image the brightness extended further to the left where it the lower left corner did indeed match the other corners. I chose this crop for personal esthetic reasons but I'll experiment and see if I can tone down that little bit of leaf in the remote lower left corner.
    Thanks for your input.

Mike, thank you very much. I think through consensus I've ended up with a much better image than I first posted.
    Thanks

Kevin,
    Thank you very much. I'm learning that everyone has an esthetic beyond the basics of photography.
    I am going to darken down the lower left corner a bit and see if that works, per Dave's suggestion.