Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Need some comments

Real Name
    Terri

Need some comments

Here I am back...couple of photos need feed back please Need some comments Tried my first sunset...this isn't as easy as it looks. I tried a warming filter on it but then went back to the original, thought it muddied the blue. Hard to capture with the horizon being shadowed.
    The second one looks a little off to me...I had cropped out a blue boat lift clear to the right...but do you think there is too much vastness of trees to right??? Need some comments

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Need some comments

Second image is pleasing for its color and bright sunny air. I think there is a slight tilt to left ; a minor clockwise rotation is required, or is that an illusion? :/
    First image lacks a strong point to focus on......
    Regards

Real Name
    John

The first image is pleasant. Nothing wrong with the colours. My only comment is that compositionally, your horizon is on the centre line. Cropping a slice from the bottom would add more weight to the base. The second exposure was a few seconds too late. Catching the canoeist on the thirds coming into the frame would have been better and filled the space to the RHS. Your eye would then have travelled naturally on to the far shoreline and the buildings. As a general rule (but not always) avoiding people/objects looking out of/leaving the frame helps to keep the viewers attention within the picture area. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Roger

In my opinion you need something interesting in your foreground even if it's a silhouette, I know you're trying to show the sky but unless the sky is super interesting it needs foreground also to make a good composition. On #2 I agree cropping to put the kayak in position of the rule of thirds would help. Keep at it good photography is not easy.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by RogerCook View Post
    In my opinion you need something interesting in your foreground even if it's a silhouette, I know you're trying to show the sky but unless the sky is super interesting it needs foreground also to make a good composition. On #2 I agree cropping to put the kayak in position of the rule of thirds would help. Keep at it good photography is not easy.
    I'm learning so much on this site...Need some comments Here's a redo... open to suggestions.

When you say silhouette...like a reflection that would be captured in the water?? I understand about needing something in foreground!

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    The first image is pleasant. Nothing wrong with the colours. My only comment is that compositionally, your horizon is on the centre line. Cropping a slice from the bottom would add more weight to the base. The second exposure was a few seconds too late. Catching the canoeist on the thirds coming into the frame would have been better and filled the space to the RHS. Your eye would then have travelled naturally on to the far shoreline and the buildings. As a general rule (but not always) avoiding people/objects looking out of/leaving the frame helps to keep the viewers attention within the picture area. Hope this helps.
    Please see below of my new post!
    I wonder by Roger's reply that my sunset is just a little boring. Here it is cropped more...Need some comments I'm trying to capture the beauty and serenity of Clear Lake.

Here's another photo. Need some comments When I put my grid over it sailboat and horizon is in top third water is in bottom 2/3s where would you advise me to crop???
    Last edited by terrig; 8th September 2013 at 07:02 PM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Except for the position of the yatch, i feel the original image is better regarding #2; the sharpness, the saturation of colors all are lost when the image is stretched
    I liked the new image you posted; its vibrance is diffusing unto the viewer; may be the boat is on the vertical central line, but that does not affect the image much; if you attempt to move it back by trimming the the fierce-fulness of the waves in the front will be trimmed out, but its being there is very crucial for the effectiveness of this image
    Regards