Thread: Private Conversations

Real Name
    Sharon

Private Conversations

Private Conversations

These people seemed so solemn and both couples were deep in hushed conversations or at times just staring into their coffee. I wanted to give it an Orwellian feel, hence the dark, smudgey PP and at first I took the Starbucks sign out but once I thought about it Starbucks fits right in to a scenario from Orwell's 1984.

Perhaps this is the resistance.

All C&C welcomed

Looks much better large and can be seen fullscreen on my Flickr page.

Real Name
    Ian

Re: Private Conversations

Sharon, brilliant. Really like that.

I must admit to finding lots of good subjects in Starbucks and generally its a good place for that but I have had the odd outlet (in NYC) object to taking photos inside, but generally they are fine.

Real Name
    Bruce

The persons in the photograph appear to be in a dark place in a dark time of their lives. That Sharon was my first impression when viewing this photo.

Bruce

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The Starbucks sign goes well with the style of the furniture.

There is no indication in the photo that the people are talking, so it's helpful to have the benefit of your caption if conveying the sense of conversation is important to you. For me, the photo is equally strong whether or not we know the people are talking to each other.

I forgot to mention that I like it! I especially like that you didn't remove the person on the far right; leaving that person there makes me wonder if he or she is also sitting next to someone.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thanks Mike, Bruce and Ian

It's the Starbucks attatched to the hospital where my dad is busy dying. The couples all seemed to be having those weary exchanges you have under such circumstances...anxious punctuated with long silences for exhausted thought and coming to terms with bad news. I saw the single man on the right as a sort of 'bartender' figure. Seeing our woes and pouring the coffee to keep us going.

As always it helps me cope with what is happening by trying to encapsulate the feeling in a photograph.

Real Name
    John

Very nice image.

Real Name
    Jeff

Reminds me of "Nighthawks" like it!

Real Name
    Griddi

Sharon.... I like this photo very much too, but can I ask, how do you take this super of yours?

Greetings, Griddi........

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

On the morning that Sheila's mother died in the Western General in Edinburgh (we'd been called to the hospital very early on a winter morning and got there just too late), we were invited to go down to what I presume was the staff canteen to have breakfast. It was obvious to other staff (from their sideways glances etc) who were obviously used to this, that we were the latest relatives of a newly dead person to be allowed down there after the death. And yes, we sat just like these people.

Strange thing the way some societies treat death. I'm just back from my uncle's funeral in Ireland and I have to say that whilst I don't share the strong religious faith that he had, the very relaxed, comfortable and, indeed, joyous way in which death is treated is to be admired.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Strange thing the way some societies treat death. I'm just back from my uncle's funeral in Ireland and I have to say that whilst I don't share the strong religious faith that he had, the very relaxed, comfortable and, indeed, joyous way in which death is treated is to be admired.
    I totally agree with you on this Donald. Thank you for relating your experience.

Griddi....I have messaged you!

Real Name
    Jon

Sharon, this is such a wonderful and strong image. The first thought I had when when I viewed this was that it was taken in a hospital...I have seen this scenario way too much in the last couple of months being in and out of the hospital multiple times.
    You have "encapsulated" the feeling very well.

Real Name
    Kevin

Sharon,
    As a critical-care physician, your image really struck a chord with me. We work with end-of life issues so much that it can become almost too "routine". The gravitas in the cafeteria is a scene we as physicians don't see, but perhaps should, from time to time. I think your decision to include the Starbucks sign is an excellent one: no matter how overpowering circumstances are, the mundane will be there also, and vice versa. There can never be complete separation.

Kevin

Real Name
    Sharon

Jon and kevin, thank you so much for your comments and observations. Jon, I wish you good health.

Kevin...you are totally spot on. I was just talking to Stephen about the juxtaposition of incredibly powerful emotions and the utterly mundane. It's as if you come back to reality/ normality?? ( are any of these the right words...probably not) by degrees.
    The bedside..the ward...the larger hospital...even the carpark there's a certain warmth and compassion between the visitors. We understand how it is...we are part of a larger family 'The hurting'
    Then you get in the car and go pick up bread and milk at the supermarket and no one knows you are emotionally drained and vulnerable...and THAT is nice too, being part of the day to day stuff.

I am probably burbling on but I thank you all for helping me process this stuff. My camera keeps me sane and so do my 'Camera friends'

Real Name
    Andrew

Remarkable image that evokes (for me) precisely the "Orwellian feel" that you say you were trying for. I do like that you left the Starbucks sign in. I'm becoming quite a fan of your work. Thank you and best wishes as you work your way through difficult times.
    Andrew

Real Name
    Sharon

Thank you Andrew.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Daisy, great image. Your processing is perfect. And your Orwellian reference is spot on.

karm

Real Name
    Sharon

Thanks Karm!