Thread: Anybody use the Canon BG-E7 Battery Grip for 7D body?

Real Name
    Matthew

Anybody use the Canon BG-E7 Battery Grip for 7D body?

Curious if anyone here uses and has any opinions / thoughts about the Canon BG-E7 Battery Grip which is specifically for the 7D camera body.

I'm considering it, only partially for the "extended power" (i.e. being lazy and not wanting to swap out a battery as often) but MUCH more so, I am wanting it for the hopefully better handling of the body in the vertical orientation.

Key concerns are, how does the vertical grip and button placement / functions feel compared to the actual 7D body? Did a bit of web research and reading reviews (but not a ton) and some said the grip is not as nicely ergonomic as the body itself, which to an extent I would expect, but if it's really bad I don't want it. I use BBF (back button focus) 100% of the time, and if the rear buttons don't feel right, it's not gonna work for me.

I'll most likely have to check this out at a local camera shop, but it can't hurt to get the opinions from people with experience....so any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated, especially from the perspective of someone who uses it vertically and uses BBF a lot.

Thank you much!

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Anybody use the Canon BG-E7 Battery Grip for 7D body?

Hi Matt,

I am using a Nikon D200 and do have a battery grip for it. The battery grip is a nice to have and you do get a lot more shots in one go. However, I do not use it. It is packed in my bag as a backup in case of an emergency, and that is it.

Handling the camera in portrait mode, with a battery grip, with any top notch camera will be the same. All the buttons are in the right place. Using the camera in portrait mode without the battery grip becomes second nature and having the battery grip fitted I still tend to use it as if the battery grip is not fitted.

I would think it is a very good option for a professional doing long shoots in portrait mode. For us amateurs it is just a nice to have and an addition to make your camera look more “impressive”.

Would I recommend a battery grip – not for what an amateur does with a camera. If you have enough backup battery power – that is all you need.

Would I recommend spending money on a battery grip? - No you can rather put the money towards a better lens or flash.

PS: On the Nikon the BBF can still be used although it is not on the battery grip you simply use it with your left thumb instead of the right thumb.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Matt - Unlike others who would offer you an opinion I actually use a 7D with a BG-E7 grip. The button placement is fine and you won't have any problem with BBF, I personally don't like the shape or "contour" of the front of the grip where my fingers wrap around it - the corners are too sharp or angular for comfort, but I have small hands. I have tried a "made in China" grip which was far worse, so I would go with the Canon grip if I were you. It's a quality product.

Real Name
    Adrian Asher

Hello Mat,

I purchased the BG-E7 grip at the same time as the 7D (I have large hands so find most body grips a bit tight for comfort) and while having occasionally shot without it I much prefer shooting with it.

The extended life from two batteries is useful as are the vertical buttons (which are perfectly well placed), the grip isn't as nicely sculpted as the body grip but I've never found it uncomfortable. However for me the largest benefit is the extra balance it provides when using heavier lenses. When using the 7D with a 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM or the 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS USM the extra weight of the grip makes for a reasonably heavy combo but the balance is significantly better than without the grip. I've done shoots lasting well in excess of four hours without any problems with my hands or wrists.

It's well made (noticeably better than the 3rd party alternatives that I've laid hands on) and I've had no issues with it at all.

HTH.

Cheers,
    Ady

Real Name
    Lex

One more vote for battery grips. I use the BG-E9 on my 60D, and like Graham, I killed an off-brand grip before shelling out for the Canon version.

Ergonomically, it's less refined than the camera's built-in grip, but not bad at all. My gorilla paws actually prefer the bulkier portrait grip to the built-in landscape grip. Button placement is not identical, but I also use back-button focus, and the transition from horizontal to vertical is seamless. Positions are close enough that I hit the right button every time. Battery life is pretty awesome. In 6 days traveling through Istanbul, I recharged once. Both batteries were around 40%. I have nearly drained them from long video shoots (come home under 10% after 90 continuous minutes), but their endurance for photos is phenomenal. I also like having a AA battery magazine available. Good plan B if you're in the sticks with dead batteries and no outlets.

The bad news is that I've become so used to using a battery grip, unequipped cameras feel inconsequential and unstable. Obviously they aren't, but the difference is surprisingly noticeable.

Real Name
    Adrian

Very interesting thread. My son and I recently did a 4 day bespoke course with a pro. He was armed with 1DX and 1DIV and advocated a battery grip for my son's 7D. He reckoned that it improved handling significantly and also made the points about balance and rear button focus. We have been on-the look out for an eBay deal as a result.

Real Name
    Richard

I don't use battery grips for the pair of 7D cameras with which I am usually shooting because:

1. The battery grip + extra battery adds weight to the already fairly heavy two camera/lens combnation (17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses).
    2. The EP-6A battery provides plenty of power for a day's shooting especially since I am actually using a pair of batteries with which to shoot (2 camras = 2 batteries). However, I always carry a second pair of batteries as a backup. Batteries are quick and easy to swap.
    3. I have no problems tilting my camera 90 degrees for vertical shots. I have been doing this for years and it is second nature.
    4. I use a hand strap and L bracket on the camera wearing my 70-200mm lens and I am not sure that would work with a battery grip.
    5. The 7D is large enough to feel confortable in my hand. I don't have exceptionally large hands but, wear U.S. size extra-large gloves.
    6. Years ago, when I shot with a 10D and a 350D, I needed the battery grip for the 350D because that camera was too small for me to comfortably hold. The 7D is comfortable for me to hold without the grip.

Real Name
    Matthew

Thanks for the replies, and thank you especially to Graham, Adrian, and Lex for your detailed input which covered all of my key questions and concerns, and beyond. I'm sold on the grip.