Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Focusing issue

Real Name
    Bruce

Focusing issue

A friend of mine has a Nikon D5000. One question I have, does this particular camera have the ability to turn the auto focusing off on the camera body? Also, if this camera does have this feature, what would happen if the auto focus was off on the camera body, and the lens was set for auto (on) focus or visa versa?

Bruce

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Focusing issue

So far as I remember (I looked at the D5000 but went with the D90 instead), there is no switch on the camera to turn the auto focus on or off. This camera requires G series lenses (those with the autofocus motor in the lens) for the autofocus to work, and the switch on the lens has to be turned to manual.

The cameras with the built in focus motors (which I why I went with the D90), one has to disable the autofocus on both the camera and on the older D series lens that require the in-camera motor for autofocus functionality.

Real Name
    Bruce

Manfred, thanks for your reply.

Bruce

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Bruce,

does this particular camera have the ability to turn the auto focusing off on the camera body?
    Yes.

I just looked at the D5000 manual and "MF" is a valid in-camera option (p54) - same place s/he chooses AF-A, AF-S or AF-C.

what would happen if the auto focus was off on the camera body, and the lens was set for auto (on) focus or visa versa?
    What happens on the lens may depend upon which lens is being used; all my AF-S Nikon lenses have the switch on the lens M or M/A, where the latter means AF is enabled.

As I guessed (then tested on my D5000 body with 50/1.4) - putting either the lens to M or the body to MF kills the AF.

For AF to function; the lens must be in M/A and the camera body must be set to one of the AF-A, AF-S or AF-C modes.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Bruce,

Yes.

I just looked at the D5000 manual and "MF" is a valid in-camera option (p54) - same place s/he chooses AF-A, AF-S or AF-C.

What happens on the lens may depend upon which lens is being used; all my AF-S Nikon lenses have the switch on the lens M or M/A, where the latter means AF is enabled.

As I guessed (then tested on my D5000 body with 50/1.4) - putting either the lens to M or the body to MF kills the AF.

For AF to function; the lens must be in M/A and the camera body must be set to one of the AF-A, AF-S or AF-C modes.

Cheers,
    Dave, does this mean that there is a mechanism WITHIN THE CAMERA BODY to enable/disable the AF capability?

Bruce

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Dave, does this mean that there is a mechanism WITHIN THE CAMERA BODY to enable/disable the AF capability?
    Yes

Real Name
    Ben

Besides what everyone else has already stated, if you are using an AFS lens you can also select manual focus by turning the focus ring. That disengages the auto focus until you click the shutter release. Do not try this with an AF lens!

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Yes
    Dave, thank you so much for your assistance. The information you have given me has been very helpful.

Bruce