Thread: Entry-level camera

Real Name
    ahmed

Entry-level camera

i wanna buy an entry level camera dslr so i saw the canon 400d and the d70 nikon so can u tell me your opinion ?

Waiting
    Thankk youu !! ...
    Ahmed

Real Name
    John

Re: Entry-level camera

Both cameras listed were released around 2006 and 2004 probably discontinued models, at least for the D70. Are you looking for new entry level or used?

Real Name
    ahmed

lets say that i'm looking for a new one

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ahmed View Post
    lets say that i'm looking for a new one

What kind of photography do you want to do? I would buy a camera that offered the best lenses for the type of photography you like. Once you start buying lenses, you are pretty much stuck with that brand camera. So choose the one that offers the best lenses for your style of photography.

If you choose cannon, the newest entry level camera is a T5I.............If nikon, the D5200 (I think, but not shure)

Real Name
    ahmed

i'm interested in macro and i love portrait

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Ahmed,

A lot depends upon budget available and within this budget you also need to consider lenses. Do you want to purchase a camera and lenses to allow portrait and macro work from the start ? Macro lenses are expensive but a purchase that will generally last much longer than your camera body.

You will receive lots of advice on the various camera models and can also obtain this on the web but another consideration is how does a specific camera feel in your hands, compare them.

Real Name
    J stands for John

As a couple of us have written .. stick with your Fuji as it IMO is far more competant and able than an entry level DSLR of a seven year plus old design ....I just gave one away to a good cause recently ... two less batteries to keep topped up and I had not used it for several years with my Panasonic FZ camera. I don't rate Fuji as good as Panasonic from threads and owners comments with regard to bridge cameras but an old DSLR even if brand new is not the answer.

I told you how to take macro with the Fuji ... the bridge camera way .... it also has one advantage you may not have heard of that with its shorter lens needed for the smaller sensor it has more depth of field than the DSLR ... the bridge's f/8 equals f/22 to f/32 of the DSLR and you don't hear about diffraction with bridge cameras like DSLRs used at f/22 and smaller. When you go in for the tight framing you need every bit of DoF you can get.

The second factor worth being aware of with regard particularly to tight framing is that for a given framing the depth of field is the same whatever focal length you use .... so your 720 lens working from about a foot [ front of 2 dioptre CU lens to subject ] will have the same DoF as a 'short' *macro [ 50mm probably the cheapest] from perhaps an inch from the subject. If the subject is a wee beastie it probably will not stop for its photo to be taken, whereas from around a foot they are very tolerant of us and if a vemenous beastie further away and safer with the long zoom. * Macro also come as 90 and 180mm which are better in this regard of keeping back but rather more expensive.

So stop thinking about 'better gear' and take photos ... much more benificial to your progress

EDIT ... after overnight cogitation I realise that while both paras are factually correct they actually contradict each other ((
    Last edited by jcuknz; 11th July 2013 at 10:51 PM.

Keeping it simple, Nikon D3100 would be a decent choice for an entry level camera.