Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What which adapter is right for me ?

Real Name
    Redhwan

What which adapter is right for me ?

Hello guys,
    a new photographer here... I got a Canon 650D, and I grabbed my grandpas old lenses with some damn full of dust cameras yesterday...

After reading some, I am aware of that that camera won't be able to communicate with the lens and its fine with me since I have my budget issues.

I got my self these two lenses :

- Contax 35-70mm (which was attached on a Yashica 2000 Film camera)
    - MC Hanimex 55-220mm f:3.5-4.5 o/55 (This one uses a different (smaller) mount since I couldn't attach it to that Yashica 2000)

Nowwww ... I have no idea which adapter is right for me so I can use these two on my DSLR (I probably need two different adapters), So ummm, I'd be really grateful if someone experienced pops out and helps me out here.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: The 2nd lens's info was corrected, its NOT a sigma 55-200
    Last edited by Raysha; 1st July 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: What which adapter is right for me ?

Quote Originally Posted by Raysha View Post
    Hello guys,
    a new photographer here... I got a Canon 650D, and I grabbed my grandpas old lenses with some damn full of dust cameras yesterday...

After reading some, I am aware of that that camera won't be able to communicate with the lens and its fine with me since I have my budget issues.

I got my self these two lenses :

- Contax 35-70mm (which was attached on a Yashica 2000 Film camera)
    - Sigma MC Hanimex 55-200mm f:3.5-4.5 o/55 (This one uses a different (smaller) mount since I couldn't attach it to that Yashica 2000)

Nowwww ... I have no idea which adapter is right for me so I can use these two on my DSLR (I probably need two different adapters), So ummm, I'd be really grateful if someone experienced pops out and helps me out here.

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps this link will help..................http://photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00JAc2

Real Name
    J stands for John

Sadly the site I would go to for information about mount to film plane/sensor distance seems to be no longer avialable http://www.markerink.org/WJM/HTML/mounts.htm.

Does anybody know if there is a replacement site or new home for the info?

If the lens is designed for a 'shorter than EOS' camera then the lens can only be used at closer than infinity distances and the mount is irrelevant. ie. I think without the site to confirm my memory that EOS is 45mm so a lens designed for a camera with less than 45mm will not give you infinity becuase the lens itself is too long [extends backwards ].

Did anybody make a copy they could post from?

EDIT
    Thankyou Bill for prompting my memory so I realise my error and corrected above 45 not 50 as I first wrote
    Last edited by jcuknz; 1st July 2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: correction

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

There are many Contax to EOS adapters.

I've used 'Fotodiox' adapters for other Lenses to EOS Cameras and I am very happy with the quality and finish of that brand.

Have a look at this link and determine if it the correct adapter for your lens and camera.

You will need to find out for what Camera, the Sigma Lens is for - it is no good just guessing.

WW

Information for jcuknz, et al:
    Canon EOS Lens Register is: 44mm
    I am assuming that the first lens in the question is: Contax Vario-Sonnar 35-70/3.4 and in this case the lens would has a "C/Y Mount" to fit to a Yashica SLR.
    The Register of a C/Y Mount Lens is: 45.5mm
    Last edited by William W; 1st July 2013 at 02:06 AM.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

If you are not an experienced photographer and are starting out with a new canon 650D forget about using old film camera lenses. You will only be dissapointed and cause yourself more problems than necessary. Invest in a Canon Eos lens to suit your needs.

Real Name
    Redhwan

Woooo~ Thanks guys for your responses.

So the contax lens issue is fixed, now about the other one...

I just found out its not even from Sigma, I thought it was judging from the bag it was in, I just learnt there is a brand named "MC Hanimex"...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hanimex-Autom...item5ae60cff8d

This is the 2nd lens I have. The focal length is 55-220, I wrote the wrong number up there

Real Name
    Redhwan

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    If you are not an experienced photographer and are starting out with a new canon 650D forget about using old film camera lenses. You will only be dissapointed and cause yourself more problems than necessary. Invest in a Canon Eos lens to suit your needs.
    Actually I am not "Starting" out with this camera, I owned an Olympus E-300 which stopped satisfying me some months ago (I got it used for a cheap price btw)
    And I am fine getting "disappointed" because I already am, not of the camera but my own skills... And if I had the money I wouldn't really bother trying to use old lenses

Real Name
    Kathy

Beg to differ. Especially if one of the lenses you have is a C/Y Zeiss lens. I purchased used C/Y Zeiss lenses and adapted them to use on a Canon XT, 50D, and 5DMkII, and there are times I like them better than my Ls. And while I do not own or have used it, there is more than sufficient evidence for me that a decent-condition Vario-Sonnar 35-70 f/3.4 for free rocks:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/661982/0

But then, I can be a contrary stubborn luddite, and I shot all-manual film SLRs. Some of us enjoy the pain of going old school.

What which adapter is right for me ?
    Canon 5DmkII, adapted C/Y Zeiss Planar T* 100/2.

Raysha, you may get lucky with this mount guide at identifying the Haminex:
    http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html

If it's threadmount (i.e., just has a simple screw), then M42 is your most likely answer, and if it's bayonet, Pentax K might be the first one to look at.

While using manual-focus lenses sucks for fast-action, it can be rewarding to mess about with manual focus and the sliderule technology in DoF scales and distance scales that are meaningful and focus throws that have some precision in MF (unlike on AF lenses). I would recommend considering two things.

1). Get a chipped adapter. This will let you fake the missing EXIF information, and given the chip, may even allow you to record the aperture setting you're using, if you're really lucky. There are some risks inherent with a chipped adapter (i.e., chip placement, and the strength of the glue used to hold it on the ring), and the AF-confirmation is less useful than some folks think, but I've found them to be really handy. I tend to go with the EMF chips sold by big_is on eBay, or HappyPageHK's OptixV5 chips (I purchase the rings from them already chipped). YMMV. And it's been a long long time since I bought one, so this information may no longer be relevant. But I'd ask around at the usual places, like the forum on mflenses.com.

2). Once MagicLantern supports the 650D (doesn't yet), consider loading it. Obviously, if messing about with your camera's firmware frightens you, don't go there. But the time and risks are minimal, the cost is free, and it does add two features that are extraordinarily useful for a manual lens shooter: focus peaking, and Magic Zoom. You can, of course, without ML, use liveview and 10x magnification to nail critical focus, but it's a little less convenient.

Do not, however, try to use the current build of ML on your 650D. You could brick it, since the current build is not compatible for your camera.
    Last edited by inkista; 1st July 2013 at 10:18 PM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

The OP especially mentioned that there are budget issues.

+ 1 what Kathy wrote about that C/Y zoom lens.
    It is well known as a quality optic.
    There are Canon aficionados who use that particular C/Y lens, in preference to the EF 24 to 70mm F/2.8 L USM . . . That's why I especially mentioned that I assumed it was THAT particular lens.

Yes – it does come down to a choice between putting money into an adapter worthy of the Contax Lens, or putting that money to an EF or EF-S Lens and have AF and AE: but apropos Image Quality, if the Contax is in good condition, the OP will spend a lot more money than the adapter, to get up to that standard of optic and have a reasonably fast zoom lens.

WW

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I just found out its not even from Sigma, I thought it was judging from the bag it was in, I just learnt there is a brand named "MC Hanimex"... http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hanimex-Autom...item5ae60cff8d. This is the 2nd lens I have. The focal length is 55-220, I wrote the wrong number up there

As I commented (above) on THAT particular Contax Lens - with equal verve I shall make a comment on this Hanimex Lens.

I'd expect that if it is a M42 or Pentax-K Mount Lens, then you could get a plastic adapter for a few dollars (US$10 to $20).

But I would consider putting that money into a second hand canon "kit lens".

Be it one of the EF-S 18 to 55F/3.5~5.6 IS versions - or the EF-S 55 to 250 F/4~5.6IS (first model).

These lenses are often sold second-hand by users who bought an APS-C DSLR with kit lenses and have "outgrown the kit lenses" and need to "upgrade" - you might find a good deal and both lenses mentioned represent very good value for money and you will have AF and AE.

WW

Real Name
    Redhwan

@ Kathy : Thanks man that big bucket of info helped a lot, since my lenses are at home I can't check them at this moment, I have MagicLantren on my 650D and I didn't try to use all of its capabilities but all of what I did use worked out just fine with me.

@ Bill : Thanks again, errrr I already own a kit lens (18-55mm) and if I were to get a 55-250mm IS, I would buy a new one (2nd version) since it's gonna cost me less than 200$.

Well ummm.. Thank you all, I will definetly consider all what you said and decide when I am home.

Real Name
    Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    Sadly the site I would go to for information about mount to film plane/sensor distance seems to be no longer avialable http://www.markerink.org/WJM/HTML/mounts.htm.

Does anybody know if there is a replacement site or new home for the info?
    Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    If the lens is designed for a 'shorter than EOS' camera then the lens can only be used at closer than infinity distances and the mount is irrelevant.
    Not necessarily.
    Fotodiox for example makes a Canon FD (42mm) to Canon EF (44mm) adaptor which incorporates a
    1.4 TC to enable infinity focus.

Cheers

Wolf

Real Name
    Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post

I've used 'Fotodiox' adapters for other Lenses to EOS Cameras and I am very happy with the quality and finish of that brand.

WW
    Bill

Have you by any chance used the FD to EF adaptor and if yes, how is the optical quality?

Cheers
    Wolf

Real Name
    Kathy

... but apropos Image Quality, if the Contax is in good condition, the OP will spend a lot more money than the adapter, to get up to that standard of optic and have a reasonably fast zoom lens.
    OTOH. It could be the Yashica 35-70 f/3.5-4.8. In which case, it's almost as good as the Zeiss, but won't have the same collector appeal without the Zeiss badging. I still think it would be worth it, though, if the budget for lenses is too damn low, and there's an 18-55 to supplement for the wide end.

Raysha: wow, that's braver than I'd be--going with an alpha or pre-alpha build of ML. My hat's off to you.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by AgfaB2 View Post
    Have you by any chance used the FD to EF adaptor and if yes, how is the optical quality?
    No, sorry I have not. I don't have any Canon FD legacy lenses and I don't intend to buy any - I swapped to Canon Cameras to cut my kit over to DSLR. I have not used any lens adapters with optical elements.

I don't know (personally) anyone who has, so I cannot even report second hand info to you.

WW

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

. . .I already own a kit lens (18-55mm) and if I were to get a 55-250mm IS, I would buy a new one (2nd version) since it's gonna cost me less than 200$.
    OK. We didn't know you had a kit lens, until now. I assume it is one of the later IS versions, in which case it will serve you well.

If you can afford $200 (and you wanted it) then the new EF-S 55 to 250 IS lens, I would buy it: I don't think there's any optical or functional difference between versions 1 and 2 - so if version 1 is at a reduced price new, I would buy that version.

The point I was making was, (sight unseen obviously) I don't think the Hanimex Lens will be an high quality optic and $200 would be better spent on an EF-S 55 to 250 IS, than spending $20 on an adapter, for the Hanimex Lens.

WW

Real Name
    Wolf

No, sorry I have not. I don't have any Canon FD legacy lenses and I don't intend to buy any - I swapped to Canon Cameras to cut my kit over to DSLR. I have not used any lens adapters with optical elements.

I don't know (personally) anyone who has, so I cannot even report second hand info to you.

WW
    Thanks Bill

Wolf

Real Name
    Redhwan

@ Kathy : Actually my heart was beating real fast and hard before the first boot with ML lols.

@ Bill : Umm I guess you didn't get exactly what I meant, I said if I "were" gonna buy the 55-250mm I'd buy a new one, for two reasons the difference between a new and old is really little + and I don't think I will get a clean one if used... I have no intention buying this lens not anymore, I shot with a cheapo Tamron 70-300mm which had macro in it as well and I really really didn't like the results, I kinda intend to buy a used 70-200mm F4 L probably next year (without IS since it 2xes the price) ... Actually I have a lot of gears I wanna own, and yes the kit lens I have is IS II which is the latest one since the body itself is the current lastest canon body (700D is a copy of 650d).

Back to the main topic, I am done identifying the mounts, one is a C/Y other one is a Minolta MC/MD.

I chose these two adapters :
    C/Y : http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapt...non+EOS+Camera
    (This one is a pro version which costs more but I don't see any reason for me to buy it http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Pro-L...non+EOS+Camera)

Minolta : http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Focus-In...+MC%2FMD+to+EF

But now I have encountered two more problems and not sure if the lenses are gonna be useful to me.

1) When I turn the aperture ring nothing happens in the both of the lenses, I couldn't see any change around the holes.

2) The C/Y lens mount is plastic and its damaged unlike the hanimex which is made of metal, one of the three "legs" or whatever they are called is completely broken and gone (which attaches the lens to the body), so I was testing the lens mounted on its original film body (Yashica 2000) and whenever I turn the rings to the left direction the lens itself moves until its dismounted x_x, if this keeps happening when adapted to my EOS I don't think I would be able to use the lens.

(typed really fast please excuse my mistakes)

Real Name
    J stands for John

Raysha regarding 1) ... is there a M-A Manual Auto switch on the lens? In Auto the aperture may not adjust until the camera presses the lever on the rear of the lens ... how my legacy Pentax lens works ... just checked it

2) In this situation I would probably glue the adaptor to the lens and use the adaptor to disconnect from camera. Super or CA glue would work well I think. On the other had I wouldn't rate the Hanimex lens judging from the one I had way back as I experimented with longer lens in film days without much of a budget.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Kathy ... it must be a pain working in the old manual ways when half your photo is out of focus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast