Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Which CP filter for EFS 17-55 f2.8?

Which CP filter for EFS 17-55 f2.8?

Any recommendations for a high quality CP filter to fit a Canon EFS 17-55 f2.8 (77mm)?

Ken

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: Which CP filter for EFS 17-55 f2.8?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-Digital...ords=hoya+77mm

I get good results with this one Ken.

Real Name
    Allan Short

I would not get one from Hoya. There is nothing wrong with the glass, it worked great, good results and the price was good, however the problem with it I found that is tended to lock up and then a hard time to remove. The thread ring is mainly smooth and thus hard to get a grip onto, making it hard to remove. It froze so tight to the end of a 80-400mm that I had to remove the glass ring with a pair of pliers than the thread ring with same, it needed a good amount of force, it had only been gently tighten by had. This was after I had used every trick in the book to remove it and then some. I was always careful putting it on to a lens or another filter as I had this problem many times.
    I do find that the filters from B+W are very good.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Ken

You might also take a look at this one, I've been quite happy compared to some others that I've tried:

B+W 77mm XS-PRO Kaesemann KSM MRC Nano CPL Circular-POL Polarizer Filter 77 mm

Real Name
    Sharon

Funny Allan should say that about the Hoya going on so tight it got stuck. The only problem I have had with my Hoya was that it was a bit too loose and ran off down a hill one time. I get round these problems by keeping it permanently on a step ring.

The one Kevin mentions above looks great but fairly expensive. Then again I don't do enough Landscapes to justify it and you probably do.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Look for filters that use a brass rather than aluminum mount. Aluminum tends to bind and "stick", while brass tends not to. These are just properties of those metals. The downside, brass is more expensive than aluminum, so only the premium filter manufacturers like B+W or Heliopan tend to use it.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Funny you should say that Sharon, I had the same thing happen a couple of times with it spinning off. It happened when I would spin the filter in the same direction that you would to remove it from the lens. Most of the time I also used a setup ring as the setup was mounted to the lens I could always get a good grip to if needed remove the CP filter or both then separate later. To prevent it coming off I would spin the filter in the same direction as if I was attaching it to the end of the lens. I would always make sure that I would spin is to adjust the filter and not tighten the whole unit. The main problem was not with the setup ring use, but when used on a lens that required a 77mm ring. Also as Manfred has pointed out aluminum rings tend to bind and stick, where B+W mounts are brass and Hoya are aluminum. I know of one store in the U.S. that will not sell Hoya CP filter just for the fact that they do bind and often they do sell other Hoya filters but will not sell the CP-Filter.

Cheers:

Allan