Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: As The Sun Sets Slowly In The West

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

As The Sun Sets Slowly In The West

These three shots were taken a couple of days ago around sunset on the Brisbane River. As it was about low tide, the water was fairly still. Sunset here at the moment occurs at around a very civilised time of 5PM. The first shot was taken about 10 mins before SS, the second about 11 mins after SS and the third about 15 mins after SS. Unfortunately the clouds started to disperse around sunset. I thought it was interesting just how much difference in atmosphere you can get with shots like this in such a short space of time.

Comments welcome.

Dave

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: As The Sun Sets Slowly In The West

Shame on you Dave, you cheated. No 3 is by far the beter shot with a completely different perspective. The reflection of the clouds in the water is amazing. I love that shot.

A scène can change in a few seconds and render a completely different mood especially when shooting landscapes during the “golden hours”. That is what I mean with “the mood in that moment in time”.

Real Name
    Dave

Three really good shots there, Dave. I would have liked to have seen all of the cloud in the reflection in the third one, but I still would have been happy to have taken any on the three.

The change in light and colour at sunset (and sunrise) is sometimes dramatic, very quick and, as I well know, easy to miss. If I am going to photograph a sunset I like to be in the right place at least 30 minutes before the sunset.

I think quite a few on CiC use this -

http://photoephemeris.com/

to help with sunset (and rise) photographs. It does cost for phones and tablets but is free for PCs and Macs.

I find it, combined with a detailed map of an area, very useful in finding good locations.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Shame on you Dave, you cheated. No 3 is by far the beter shot with a completely different perspective.
    Guilty as charged Sir ! Yes I changed the perspective to suit the way the cloud had changed.

Thanks for the comments Andre.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Tringa View Post
    Three really good shots there, Dave. I would have liked to have seen all of the cloud in the reflection in the third one, but I still would have been happy to have taken any on the three.

The change in light and colour at sunset (and sunrise) is sometimes dramatic, very quick and, as I well know, easy to miss. If I am going to photograph a sunset I like to be in the right place at least 30 minutes before the sunset.

I think quite a few on CiC use this -

http://photoephemeris.com/

to help with sunset (and rise) photographs. It does cost for phones and tablets but is free for PCs and Macs.

I find it, combined with a detailed map of an area, very useful in finding good locations.

Dave
    Thanks for your comments Dave. Yes I do use the photoephemeris on my PC. In fact I used it for this shoot. I find it very good. It was particularly useful on a holiday in the Canadian Rockies because I was not at all familiar with local conditions there.

Point taken about the cloud reflection.

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 10th June 2013 at 10:18 AM.