Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Soft Focus

Real Name
    Shane

Soft Focus

While experimenting with up close filters and getting frustrated during my attempts to figure out depth of field I captured this shot. I like the lines in this composition and am presenting two versions, one with a more traditional edit where I find that the lack of DOF a bit troublesome/confusing.

Soft Focus

The same edit with grain added. When I added the grain it was a revelation to me and a bit of an 'aha' moment where I thought that it improved upon the image. Or, did the grain just mask the existing imperfections?

Soft Focus

So, two questions, do you have a preference for one of the images? If so, why?

Secondly, a more general question that I posed to Karm in a different thread? When is the use of grain or texture effective and why? I realize that this question is really a matter of personal preference and/or artistic choice but would love to hear both sides...

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Re: Soft Focus

I prefer the first one myself. I like them both but the sharper focus and lack of grain in the first one makes the unique lines in the leaves easier to follow for me.