Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Zanzibar - looking out to sea

Real Name
    Hec

Zanzibar - looking out to sea

Haven't posted for a while so time to correct that.

I would welcome comments on this one as I almost like it but it just falls short for me somehow and I can't quite put my finger on it.

The scene is looking out to sea at low tide about 400m off the beach on the east coast of Zanzibar in January. The post and lines are apparently to trap seaweed which is then harvested.

Zanzibar - just off the beach by Martin Heathcote, on Flickr

cheers

Hec

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Zanzibar - looking out to sea

For me, Hec, it's the fact that there is no one element that says ' Start viewing from here'. There is no one, main feature that grabs initial attention and provides the anchor point.

Even if one of those posts had been twice the size and made the main centre of attention, it would have been enough to provide that anchor. Because everything else about it is wonderful. In particular, your conversion of the sky is great. A lot of people would have cranked up the red filter effect and really darkened up the sky. In my opinion, that would have killed it and 'closed' down the expansiveness of the scene.

Was in Zanzibar in 2000, but never stayed over on the east coast. Spent all the time (almost 3 weeks) in Stone Town and travelled around from there. Took in New Year 2000/2001 in the rooftop restaurant of Emerson & Green (did a search and it looks as if it's now not owned by those two amazing guys).

Real Name
    Greg

I agree with Donald. I like the tonal quality of your image, but it does need some stronger focal point. I wonder if blurring the foreground slightly would help?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Agreed with all of the above.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

I agree too. But what about the traditional crop, taking out the bottom thirdish of the photo ? - for me this changes the focal point drawing your eye up from the posts to the dramatic sky you have captured so well.

Where did you stay - I am bound for Zanzibar in August for my Son's wedding. We are staying on the East coast pre the wedding then moving on - thoughts on where to go welcomed.

Real Name
    Hec

Many thanks everybody. You have confirmed and clarified my somewhat vague thoughts on this.

Kaye - we stayed at a beach hotel called Neptune Pwani. This was after 8 days on safari in Kenya and many early mornings, one at 03:00 for a dawn hot air bolloon flight over the Masai Mara, and many kilometres so we were pretty tired. We just sat under palm trees for a week, sheer bliss given our normal hectic lifestyle, so we did not do much at all. Some people we met did spice tours and I gather Stone Town is very worthwhile.

cheers

Hec

Real Name
    Dave

With apologies to Hec for posting in your thread - I'll delete if you object.

Kaye, A comment on Zanzibar. I think the spice tour is quite interesting, however I would say the Jozani forest tour to see the red colobus is a must. Photo opportunities galore. Here's an example: