Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunny days in Cornwall

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Sunny days in Cornwall

I've recently returned from a week in Cornwall. I started on this photography lark 15 months ago with a second hand camera and zero knowledge. A couple of courses, a few thousand photos, reading mags and viewing various web-sites, (this being my favourite) and a new camera later - I've finally plucked up courage to post a few pictures I am pleased with and to ask for C&C please. The first is in Tintagel and the others the food festival in Porthleven and I promise the sky really was that blue.

Thanks for viewing
    Kaye

Sunny days in Cornwall

Sunny days in Cornwall

Sunny days in Cornwall

Sunny days in Cornwall

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Sunny days in Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by kaye leggett View Post
    I've finally plucked up courage to post a few pictures I am pleased with and to ask for C&C please.
    Well done, Kaye. Now that you've dipped your toe into this particular water, you're learning will benefit greatly.

Why don't you start us off.

What do you think are the pluses and minuses of these?

What are the particular aspects of them that you'd like people to comment on?

I know I really, really like the composition of that image of the little boat and the line of the harbour wall taking us into the picture is good. But tell us what you think.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Thanks Donald for your comments - you are always so helpful and gently wise with your thoughts.
    So here goes with my thoughts
    No 1 was a challenge from a conversation from a stranger as to how photogenic the waterfall was - so I had to give it a go. I had the usual dilemma of how to shoot the water and was pleased with the milky effect of the main cascade and how this fills the frame + the freezing of the secondary falls. Getting both the sky and the rock at the bottom also seemed the best composition of the many I images I took. To get more of the beach in would have meant wet feet .......
    The band just summed up the festival to me - its a shame sometimes we can't have sound with the still photo - they were having a fab time, all smiles and set the day off and that's waht I was trying to capture. Again I have many photos, some of the individuals but liked the group shot best and from this angle, looking out to see and the flags although I do wonder whether it would have better with all the flag and all the legs as both top and bottom are missing these
    The little boat I loved its isolation as the tide receded. I cropped to get the boat in a better position compositionally and increased the saturation interesting to get its rope anchor more visible than anything else.
    The harbour wall looking in was an attempt at a classic landscape shot with lead in lines, good interest, and sharpness throughout - I tried it with people in the shot too but decided it was better without

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Kaye

Nice work, I think you've achieved your aims very well indeed. I like the perspective on #1. It can be difficult to capture the spectacle of a waterfall but I think this works well. #2 is colourful and shows people enjoying themselves. The boat in #3 works for me and I like the composition of #4. This last one might benefit from a little more contrast (I seem to find myself saying that a lot - I hope it's not just me or my monitor!).

Dave

Real Name
    John

Nicely done.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Kaye. You've come a long way, and the photos look great.

In #1 you captured the scene very well. I like the position you chose and the exposure. In #2 the combination of colors is fantastic and the image tells a story about a band of adults playing and having fun. I too like the composition of #3. In #4, the contrast looks fine on my monitor. The image would be good in a travel brochure.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Thank you all for looking and thoughts. You've given me confidence to upload some more, so I will do that sometime soon
    Thanks again
    Kaye