Thread: Hawaiian Seascapes

Real Name
    Terri

Hawaiian Seascapes

As with most vacation photography, I'd have liked to spend more time in one spot or to have had the opportunity to revisit at different times but here are a few that I think are worth sharing even though none will make it to the wall.

#1 The Big Island. This one probably suffers from a lack of clear subject and probably doesn't evoke much emotion from anyone but me but I like it anyway. I like the layers of color and various shades of blue and how the horizon fades into the sky and the clouds framing the top.

Hawaiian Seascapes

#2 Pololu Valley Lookout, Big Island. I would love to return at another time of day for this one and also to explore other vantage points. I like the repetition of shapes of the land and would like to exploit that better. Thanks to Dan for suggesting this destination and the great breakfast place on the way!

Hawaiian Seascapes

#3 Puuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park, Big Island. I just liked the texture of the lava formed shoreline and the colors of blue against the black.

Hawaiian Seascapes

#4 Maui looking toward Molokai. This is my favorite, mostly because of the rich colors.

Hawaiian Seascapes

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Hawaiian Seascapes

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    This is my favorite, mostly because of the rich colors.

Hawaiian Seascapes
    Mine too, but because of the composition. A good strong line starts in the bottom right-hand corner, sweeps us across and up to the left, where the rocky shoreline takes over and sweeps us back across to the right and drops us off at the background where teh cloud line then whips us back across to the left and to the open sky. Draw it on the image in your mind - it's a perfect 'Z' shape taking us through the image from side-to-side and from front-to-back.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

I like both 2 and 4. I also love the idea of making the wall - that must be a thread to start sometime Terri. I have a blank frame on my wall, a gift from my son with the challenge to take a photo to fill it - its been there 6 months so far......

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks, Donald. The leading line of the shore was intentional but I'll admit I really didn't think of the Z specifically, other than I wanted to leave some space on the right side of the rocks.

One thing I should mention so others can learn from my mistakes. I did not take the tripod with me after reading the inconsistencies with TSA enforcement for carryon and additional charges for going over weight or adding more checked baggage. So all my shots were handheld. I know I do a more careful assessment of composition on a tripod so I was trying not to rush composition just because I was handholding. But the biggest mistake I made was not having the camera level. Careful composition does you no good if you lose a bunch in straightening the horizon. This last shot lost some on both sides because of it. So do a final check of the horizon before depressing that shutter release!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I disagree that the first one doesn't have a clear subject; for me, the tree serves both as a subject and as a leading line toward the distant environment.

I like the last one best also.

With #3, perhaps a new technique that would be good to learn (you may already know it) even if you don't like the results: I would eliminate the sky. I would then increase the size of the canvas just enough (not much) to add more of the ocean so the lava at the top doesn't feel so cramped. While that is admittedly a style of composition that I like, once you do that the photo might become my favorite. Alternatively, you could have gotten on a really tall ladder to capture more of the ocean.

These photos are typical of my vacation landscapes in that I take the light that I get and try to make the most of it even though it's not ideal light. You did well in that regard.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

#4 Maui looking toward Molokai. This is my favorite, mostly because of the rich colors.
    Hawaiian Seascapes
    Terri: I agree with Donald, this picture has good leading lines.

WRT carrying a tripod on airlines, I always take mine. I can fit my RRS TVC-34L in my rolling suitcase that I always check. That way I don't have to wrestle with it on board the plane. My camera gear goes in the overhead in a Pelican rolling case.

Most importantly, did you enjoy your visit to Hawaii?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

#2 and #4 for me Terri, very nice. Blue Hawaii it is ! That Polulu Bay area looks to have some very good photo opportunities and, as you say, it would be nice to explore the different light conditions at different times of day.

Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    So all my shots were handheld...But the biggest mistake I made was not having the camera level.
    The following is from a review of your 7D: "While the 7D can indicate both pitch and roll level using AF points in the viewfinder, pressing the shutter release turns off the display. So, using it this way requires manual focusing (or prefocus with AF and then turn on MF) or turning off the AF function of the shutter release (use the rear AF-ON button for AF). Better in both display and functionality is the Live View implementation." http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ra-Review.aspx To get to that paragraph to see it in context, scroll down the article until you see the display of the camera's Live View. Start reading the paragraph immediately above that display.

When shooting handheld, I use the AF-ON button on my camera for auto focusing, not the shutter release button, as the author explains. It works like a charm and allows me to view the electronic level displayed in the viewfinder as I'm focusing and framing. When using a tripod, I use the electronic level displayed in Live View.

Having said that, a lot of landscapes that don't have a straight line in the horizon need to be shot with the camera not being level to make a nice presentation.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 8th May 2013 at 11:34 AM.

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks Mike for both responses.

About #3, I think your suggestion may have worked to better focus attention on the rocks. Thanks.

About the level. I had used the level in the live view but rarely use the live view feature except sometimes on the tripod. Your post has made me find the feature to see the level in the viewfinder so that is helpful. As with a lot of features on my camera, my problem is remembering to use it in the heat of the moment. In these particular shots, I really didn't need a level because there was such a clear nice horizon. I could have pretty much eyeballed what was level if I'd just paid attention to it. duh for me!!

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by kaneohebud View Post
    Most importantly, did you enjoy your visit to Hawaii?
    Thanks, Bud for your comments. Yes, we did enjoy our time in Hawaii. It's a beautiful place that I'd love to have more time to explore.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    #2 and #4 for me Terri, very nice. Blue Hawaii it is ! That Polulu Bay area looks to have some very good photo opportunities and, as you say, it would be nice to explore the different light conditions at different times of day.

Dave
    Thanks, Dave! That view also had a walk down to the beach with opportunities for different perspectives. It was our first day though and we were suffering from the time change and also afraid my husband's hip wouldn't hold out for the trip back up so we only went about half way down. Anyone else who goes should definitely make the hike.

Real Name
    pinaki

Lovely shots Terri. I love 2nd and 4th shots the most.Thanks for sharing!

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks Kaye and Pinaki for your comments.

Kaye, I first missed your post. I think we were posting at the same time! Anyway, I love the idea of the empty frame on your wall. I might never get it filled. Seems the more I learn, the more I know I don't know and my standards keep getting higher and impossible to satisfy.

Real Name
    Shane

Lovely shots Terri! I like #1 and #4 and am glad to hear you enjoyed your time in the islands. This may sound strange but sometimes I have a hard time composing landscapes here as it seems like it has all been done before and by better photographers than me...which leads me to the smiles and nods of agreement from you statements:

As with a lot of features on my camera, my problem is remembering to use it in the heat of the moment.
    Lately I keep forgetting to check the ISO and know I should reset the camera every day when I am done but...

Seems the more I learn, the more I know I don't know and my standards keep getting higher and impossible to satisfy.
    While I believe that my skill level and images are getting better I can totally relate with your statement above. I mean, really, I thought the ratio of good shots to "meh" shots was supposed to get higher with more practice (it has stayed the same or creeped even a bit lower in my case)!

Real Name
    Terri

Shane, thanks for your comments. I had the same thoughts as you about some of the landscapes. When I'm standing on a lookout that I know thousands of cars have stopped at and taking a picture of a space that I can probably find on the internet somewhere, I sometimes think "Why??". But it's all practice at finding a pleasing composition and executing it well. I'd really rather work in places that are not such high traffic for tourists.

As far as checking the ISO, I continue to be amazed that I can be looking through the viewfinder with all that info displayed right in front of my eyes and I don't see it.