Thread: C&C Please

Real Name
    Mitch Ward

C&C Please

Took these on a whim in a bar today, I placed a 430ex 1/16 power two feet above and left of frame, with a silver reflector bottom right frame three feet away. I think they look good, I alsoknow I can get better.
    Mitch

C&C Please

C&C Please

Real Name
    Christina

Re: C&C Please

Hi Mitch, I don't know very much about portrait photography but since no one else has commented yet...

I think the photos are very nice including the composition but I think the lighting on the model's faces could perhaps be softer and of a more flattering nature.

Real Name
    Kevin

Excellent job for a "whim" shot. The lighting is a touch harsh, as Christina pointed out, but you can probably soften it in pp.
    I'd consider turning the backgrounds to pure black as we can just perceive a hint of the dart board, etc. but not well enough to contribute to context. And I might crop that girl "hair thingy" in the second as it's mildly distracting and competes with her jewelry a little. Do you have a diffuser or a mini-softbox on your flash?

Real Name
    Mitch Ward

I was shooting thruogh a 12 inch umbrella, I will try a mini softbox next, It sounds like a small fix.. cool...more practice:-)

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Mitch, I think you need to be a little more aware of skin tone. These are perhaps a tad on the blue side. I would also try a bit of "softer" light.
    Beware of having the eyes to close to the middle line of the image. Try to keep eyes closer to the 2/3 upper line.

Practice makes perfect.