Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So - where are you going this year?

Real Name
    Phil Page

So - where are you going this year?

So does anyone have any travel plans to look forward to this year? Any places of interest where you'll have a camera handy?

This might be a good place to mention it as the CiC community is international and you may be going somewhere that someone lives, so they can give some pointers on good locations to shoot, times of day etc. Or someone may have travelled there before...

Real Name
    John

Re: So - where are you going this year?

I had plans to go back to South America this year, started the research phase back in December with a travel agent (one I had used before), but then the negotiation process started and I didn't like the deal so put it off for awhile. I might just book it myself but the time frame is dwindling, I usually go end of April before the weather starts changing, might put it off until next year and do something up North this summer.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In September, I'm going to the Loire Valley in France. Am slowly working my way around the major vineyard areas of that wonderful country. Was in the Southern Rhone last year and Beaujolais the year before. Have been to Cahors and the Languedoc previously. Burgundy remains on the 'must do' list.

But before that, in June, I will spend a week on the tiny island of Gigha, off Scotland's west coast. And if I'm very, very good, I might see an otter.

Real Name
    Greg

Singapore in September for 5 days then onto Bali for a friends wedding. Guess who has been asked to do the photography. Actually can't wait for the trip, should be a fantastic opportunity to experience different cultures and I would expect my camera will be running hot.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    In September, I'm going to the Loire Valley in France. Am slowly working my way around the major vineyard areas of that wonderful country. Was in the Southern Rhone last year and Beaujolais the year before. Have been to Cahors and the Languedoc previously. Burgundy remains on the 'must do' list.

But before that, in June, I will spend a week on the tiny island of Gigha, off Scotland's west coast. And if I'm very, very good, I might see an otter.
    I always have to depend on luck - your method is far to difficult.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Well we haven't been to Italy for 5 years now, so at the end of March we're going for 12 days. Normally we've travelled through Emilia Romagna on the way to and from Venice, Milan and Florence but this time we're basing ourselves around Bologna.

So no great wine regions for a change, but lots of nice food and drink anyway. Ferrari and Lamborghini factories are not far from where we're staying either, plus as my father-in-law will be joining us for a few days we'll end up going to Venice at some point - lots of nice photo opportunities and inspiration

Real Name
    Noel

hi everyone,
    My wife and I are going to the UK Aug/Sep. First time for me, but my wife emigrated from Doncaster in the mid '60's. We will be touring about, staying 3-4 days at a time Doncaster - Douglas IOM - Edinburgh - Whitby - Carlisle - Harrogate - Stoke on Trent - Llangollen - back to Doncaster - Brighton - Torquay - London. Still a fair way off and have researched (quite) a bit, but will appreciate any tips for must-sees - wildlife sanctuaries, falconry centres, bridges and architecture (especially IKBrunel), historical sites, anything really (Donald, Tay Bridge, Falkirk Wheel and Culloden are already on the list). Jumping out of my skin!
    - Noel

Real Name
    Dave

Hi,

We're going to Jamaica for a week at the end of the month, staying in the hills not the beach, so I'll see what I can find.

Then, in June, taking the car across to St Malo, a week or so meandering through France, then through the Pyrennes and staying in the north of the Pyrennes for three nights, and finally on to Santander for five nights (and then ferry home).

Any suggestions for things to see and photograph anywhere along the route would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Real Name
    Dave

My wife and I are going to the UK Aug/Sep
    Hi Noel,

With a trip like that, I'm sure you'll get a lot of ideas (btw my cousin got an OBE for project managing the Falkirk Wheel!)

Most of your trip isn't near me, however, if you are in Stoke-on-Trent before 13th September, an absolutely must see is the "Staffordshire Hoard" in the Potteries Museum. No photography allowed, I'm afraid, but it is an absolutely globally unique collection of Saxon gold and silver ware, and beautifully displayed. Just Google "Staffordshire Hoard". (As a bonus, they have a Spitfire fighter on display too!).

Dave

Real Name
    Tom

My wife and I are taking a river cruise through Holland and Belgium in a few weeks. Hope the flowers are in bloom -- we're still buried in snow here in New England!

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by gregj1763 View Post
    Singapore in September for 5 days then onto Bali for a friends wedding. Guess who has been asked to do the photography. Actually can't wait for the trip, should be a fantastic opportunity to experience different cultures and I would expect my camera will be running hot.
    Greg,

Bali is an amazing place and absolutely rife with photographic opportunities. My wife and I were there in 2010, and are headed back in 2014.

- Bill

Real Name
    randy

Several years ago my father passed and I inheritted his RV. After many years of camping in a tent, I have been having a ball visiting the state parks of Minnesota and Wisconsin. This summer starts with a visit to Pattison State park, just south of Superior, Wisconsin. I would also like to visit Itasca State Park over the 4th of July just so I can show the mighty Mississippi when it is not so mighty. There will likely be a couple "as of now unplanned adventures" as well.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    (Donald, Tay Bridge, Falkirk Wheel and Culloden are already on the list).
    Delighted to hear it. I lived next to Culloden battlefield for quite a number of years. Get it on a damp, misty morning (August/September could be perfect) - very early, just as dawn is breaking, before others get there. The atmosphere just grabs you and holds you.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Well after a few day in Algonquin Park shooting the colours, after the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend I am planning to head off for a couple of weeks to Acadia NP in Maine, then return through the New England states into New York state crossing back into Canada at Brockville, then up along the Thousand Islands, then home.
    That said if I win the lottery then include 3 months in Iceland (like I will win the lottery, I find it hard enough to win a free coffee with Tim's "Roll up the Rim", it's a Canadian thing)

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    That said if I win the lottery then include 3 months in Iceland (like I will win the lottery, I find it hard enough to win a free coffee with Tim's "Roll up the Rim", it's a Canadian thing)

Cheers:

Allan
    Iceland was very nice to visit... I was there a number of times for work... the avatar should be a clue

Well... I might as well chime in.

... just got back from Australia (Unedited quick selection of snaps for sharing with family are here... http://www.flickr.com/photos/cp140/s...7632891207551/ )

...quick weekend trip to Texas in a couple of weeks.

...flying into Frankfurt for a week on the border with Luxembourg then over to Switzerland for a week before coming home out of Zurich. That's July's trip.

...New York for a week in October.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

We'll be going to Arizona for a week of hiking in the spring. The first half will be spent in Scottsdale for hiking among the saguaro cacti. The next few days will be spent hiking in Sedona.

In the fall, we'll be taking our 30th anniversary two-week trip to South Africa and will be doing our first safari.

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    We'll be going to Arizona for a week of hiking in the spring. The first half will be spent in Scottsdale for hiking among the saguaro cacti. The next few days will be spent hiking in Sedona.

In the fall, we'll be taking our 30th anniversary two-week trip to South Africa and will be doing our first safari.
    If you get the chance, take a day trip down to Tucson and check out the Green Valley Titan II missile museum. It's quite fascinating.

Real Name
    David

My family is going on a river cruise along the Rhine. We begin in Amsterdam and end up in Basel. 8 days on the boat with what I hope will be many, many hours wandering the streets during the days. Just got a new 5D MKii for Christmas and I am trying to use it as much as possible before we go in July.

Wow! There are some lovely trips coming up.... This year we will be heading to the Oregon Coast in April for a long weekend. In June and Aug. we will be going to a couple of rendezvous (re-enacting the fur trade era), one is in the cascade mountain range and the other on a huge cattle ranch just out of Coquille Or. Nothing spectacular but some nice weekend getaways:> if you like primitive camping:> and by golly I am NOT going to miss the cannon shot again!
    Last edited by Trina; 7th March 2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: typo

Real Name
    Jon

All these wonderful sounding trips and the only place I am going is....CRAZY!!
    Actually the only trip we have on the books right now, except for the weekend camping trips, is a river float in Texas in August. I must be CRAZY if I am going to Texas in August!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast